Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drive belt wrong way round, problem?

Go down 
+11
oldwingguy
Easyrider
steve_h80
exavid
Loosemarbles
Dale N.
Terry Smith
john grinsel
sonuvabug
Garfeild
Cosmic_Jumper
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Garfeild
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-04-02

Drive belt wrong way round, problem? Empty
PostSubject: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 3:04 am

I recently fitted a new drive belt to my 2002 bike, I didn’t realise it had a direction of rotation on it (I didn’t notice anything at the time, and it’s only
while watching someone else’s video, that the direction of rotation was mentioned)
I’ve only done about 30 miles or so on the new belt, over the bank holiday I’m going to get the covers back off and have a look, now, the
question is, if I have fitted it the wrong way round, is it better to leave it that way, or would refitting it the correct way, cause more damage as now the stress is going in the opposite direction?
TIA
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 6:21 am

~30 miles? Not too late to make the correction. IMO
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 9:28 am

I also don't think 30 miles was enough to damage it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 am

I agree. 30 miles shouldn't have done any harm. Put it back on the right way round, it'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Garfeild
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 11:16 am

Well I got in from work early today so decided to whip the covers off and have a look, there was a 50/50 chance I got it right
and of course, it was on the wrong way round once I found the markings, so now it’s rectified and all should be well
Thanks all

Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 12:30 pm

So ... I wonder if this is a new way to double the life out of a belt.  Simply rotate the direction of it when  it's at the end of it's life cycle ... just like rotating the tires on your car. Wink
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 12:41 pm

I don't think reversing travel of belt will increase miles----they do wear out internally in addition to wearing narrow-----I change at makers recommended intervals with OEM belts.....and in now 30 years and over 400,000 miles, with rubber band drive scooters only broke/ate up one belt underway. I hate walking! Will stick with the way I am doing it! On 11th new rubber band drive scooter.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 4:04 pm

Reversing belts in general isn't a good idea. The fibers in the cloth and the rubber tend to become aligned with the power flow. Reversing the belt direction causes that to reverse the wear on an already broken in belt. It will shorten the belt life overall. I don't know for sure but the fiber reinforcements could be designed to take the load in a specific direction. Motorcycle tires also specify a specific direction of rotation. Seems to me best to take the manufacturer's recommendations since they want the best performance for their products. Not good to be known for short lived tires and belts.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 4:58 pm

I would have thought it would be obvious that the belt was in backwards when you found you had one forward gear and five in reverse...
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 12:45 am

I just thought of something using Polish Logic.
If you wait until the belt is almost worn out and then put it on backwards won't that bring it back to new in 10 or 15 thousand miles?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 7:22 am

I bet Honda weren't thinking along the lines of 32000 mile belt when they designed the SW.

Looks like you've outwitted them Dale thumbs up
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Terry Smith wrote:
I would have thought it would be obvious that the belt was in backwards when you found you had one forward gear and five in reverse...

GEARS? GEARS? We don't need no stinking gears!! Mad No pale
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 pm

Quote "So ... I wonder if this is a new way to double the life out of a belt. Simply rotate the direction of it when it's at the end of it's life cycle ... just like rotating the tires on your car. Wink"

Oh stop it - someone out there is gonna believe you 😁

Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 8:58 pm

Does it mean that when it reaches 32k miles that you can rotate it again and keep rotating it every 16k miles? Shocked Mad No
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 9:03 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Does it mean that when it reaches 32k miles that you can rotate it again and keep rotating it every 16k miles? Shocked Mad No

I believe the next step would be to turn the belt inside out and start fresh.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 9:49 pm

I must introduce you fellows to the carburetor gnomes Smile
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 2:05 pm

I could get twice the use out of my underwear by turning them inside out. You have to shake the crust out of them first though. 😐
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 3:03 pm

That's just needless extravagance, what about the bonus days of back to front, then inside out back to front.

As UK supermarket chain Tesco likes to say “Every little helps”.  😷
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Meldrew wrote:
That's just needless extravagance, what about the bonus days of back to front, then inside out back to front.

Totally agree with Meldrew. That's four completely clean panels heading forward. There's always the possibility of a bonus panel or two if you were extra tight one or more of those days. And let us not forget the odd "commando" day thrown in here and there.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 3:33 pm

Ah but if you really crap them up you can only use them twice.
Meldrew, I am retired so I consider the twice used shorts a luxury. 😖💩
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Just line it with a paper towel then you would never need to wash your underwear ever. You maybe able to fold the towel to a cleaner sopt.😁
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 4:53 pm

DEPENDS on how crappy it got. No
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 4:58 pm

Depends are for Iron Butt ralliers.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 5:17 pm

I've found a small nutmeg grater takes up very little space in your kit and a few minutes light grating removes the dried top layer of crud easily, then you're good for at least for another week.

A quick wipe round with one of those freebie lemon scented hand wipes neutralises odours too.

The crusty connoisseur always keep a large paper clip threaded through their riding jacket or favourite fleece zipper.

Apart from acting as a very good zip puller, you'll always have it handy for that emergency pleat when your aged underpants elastic finally gives, you don't want to to be showing off your butt crack like a teenager do you.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue May 19, 2020 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 5:31 pm

OH Boy. The avalanche is picking up speed. My arse is burning .
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 5:36 pm

I believe that country classic 'Ring of Fire' by country legend Johnny Cash was written about a similar problem.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm

cheers cheers cheers Good one.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 5:47 pm

You know if you overload, wearing rainpants work great.The excess just loads up in the boots and gets you a few more miles and who knows you might get to run over an old flattened squirrel for having driven the extra miles!
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I believe that country classic 'Ring of Fire' by country legend Johnny Cash was written about a similar problem.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 8:28 am

Meldrew wrote:

And for some reason I always thought the Red Hot Chili Peppers wrote that tune. This site is an incredible fountain of knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 8:32 am

Burn..Burn..Buuuurn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt wrong way round, problem?   Drive belt wrong way round, problem? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive belt wrong way round, problem?
Page 1 of 1