Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fork tube stuck Compressed

Go down 
+2
Sepp
northernplains
6 posters
AuthorMessage
northernplains
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
northernplains

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2019-09-29

Fork tube stuck Compressed Empty
PostSubject: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Hey people. I was installing Hyperpro's this afternoon and surprising everything was going so easy until we started to drain the old fork oil. We started to pump the fork tube and it got stuck all the way down. Pulling and pulling but the inner fork tube wouldn't decompress. We ended up taking out the very bottom bolt and of course it was freed.

Whatever we do it still sticks down. How come? Any insight would be appreciated. The other fork tube was just fine. I didn't expect this to trip me up. Dammit, it's always something.

Also we left out the spacer and the Hyperpro said to fill the fluid 200mm from the top without the spring. Can't wait to feel the difference!

Alrighty, thanks in advance. Chat with you later.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 10:02 pm

You always have 2 adversaries, Gremlins and Murphey´s law.
If the one don´t get you the other will.
You schedule 15 min and it takes 2 hours because of a tiny detail what screws with you.
Welcome to the life of a technician, mechanic, or hobby whatever.
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
northernplains
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
northernplains

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 pm

Oh I know all about it Sepp. Either something stumbling you up or bleeding somehow. Good times.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 11:40 pm

You might try bolting the offending fork tube back in the triple tree and judiciously hammering on the caliper & fender mount bosses (use a wood block) on the lower tube. That may coax the tube free. You’ll need to support the front end while you do this. My 2¢

Tim
Back to top Go down
northernplains
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
northernplains

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 pm

Any idea what’s causing this?
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 7:16 am

sometimes things get stuck, fused together, rusted together.
Often the only right way to do it is take it out completely and put it on the work bench.
I just wanted to change one fork oil seal and ended up to have to remove the complete front to reach the screws to the the whole tubes to take out.
One lower screw came out easily the other spun with the inner tube.
I finally had enough from this nonsense and put a drill with a bit in, to separate the inner tube via high speed and force and it worked with in seconds at 1000 rpm.

Fork tube stuck Compressed Fork10
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 9:03 am

What is that a photo of? While it does show a traditional triple tree, sans fork tubes, it certainly isn’t that of a FSC/FJS Silverwing. If it is from a SW-T it is significantly different than a FSC/FJS model. How does that photo help the OP?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 8:25 pm

No it is not, it is when I had just wanted to change one lousy fork seal on my Spidermax and had to dismantle all. It is an example of an easy job goes complicated as I mentioned in the conversion above.
I do cross references between bikes when I think It might give the OP an idea how things can get out of hand etc. and when I have photo material from my tech adventures.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Are there any signs the bike was in a crash? Fork tube could be bent. Tube binding on inner bushings. I'm sure it was rotated to a different position pumping it. Doesn't take much to bind it won't be visible to eye. You will need to free it and measure with a dial indicator. Lower locked in a vise and upper tube rotated to see the run out. I don't know a spec. but if it varies then tube is bent.

I've been wrong before and will be again. Just a possible solution.
Back to top Go down
northernplains
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
northernplains

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Hey Mech. Doesn't appear to have any crash damage on that side of the bike. For some reason the oil lock piece(#11) was getting stuck within the inner fork pipe(#5). Upon replacement no more problems.

Fork tube stuck Compressed FRONT-FORK-Honda-SCOOTER-600-SILVERWING-2004-FJS600D4-F__1400

My brother is very satisfied with the difference! He went on a long ride today and said the Swing feels so much better. Probably the last decent day to go.

Would've been an easy 2 hour job if it wasn't for that damn part! It was still fun though figuring it out with my brother. Good times!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 8:08 pm

Great happy you repaired it. Crud always ends up at the bottom. Bound it up. Ride On.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 11:26 pm

That # 11 part got damaged when we had to beat the tar outta # 5 to "open" the forks up for new fork seals. I notched the top of # 14 so I can lock it with a big flat blade screwdriver if I ever have to go back into the forks again.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 am

I know that Mech1 mentioned “crud”, but did you ever determine the where & what actually caused the binding? How did you access that lower fork area so that you could force the inner fork tube free?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Whiteclay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2019-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2019 12:43 pm

Cosmic- we compared the used part 11 with the new one, and the new one was thicker. That is, the thickness of the upper hole. When looking closely at the used part 14, one could see some wear from where it was sticking inside of used 11. Does that make sense?

When it was stuck, we undid the bottom bolt (part 21) and everything came apart.

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 pm

#14 is Fork piston. Oil flow is in there, holes drilled in tube. #11 oil lock piece. Crud you pushed it down to a place it never was and it stuck. If seals were leaking then a bit of water could have gone in there also. Bushing wear also puts metal in there.

Removing the lower folk bolt is best with a air ratchet or gun. Spins it much faster and it comes out.
Back to top Go down
northernplains
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
northernplains

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 2:13 am

Seat pipe(14) was marred at the bottom all the way around by the spring(12) within the oil lock piece(11). Despite cleaning 11, 14 and the bottom of the inner fork pipe(5) it still stuck without any crud. It was driving us mad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork tube stuck Compressed   Fork tube stuck Compressed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fork tube stuck Compressed
Page 1 of 1