Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Parking Brake Pad Installation ... H E L P !!!!
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby arskal Today at 2:43 pm

» Dunlop Scoot Smart tyres. And the Swing in general.
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Today at 6:56 am

» Slime Portable Tire Inflator
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Wanted used Corbin
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby DLK Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Grip Puppies
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby DLK Yesterday at 12:56 pm

» Sit and Fly seat cover
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby DLK Yesterday at 12:48 pm

» Hi, I'm the newest member!
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby DavidI Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:12 am

» Newbie from London is here :)
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:27 am

» SW shocks.
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:50 am

» Change of Seat Colour
Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:34 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front Wobble on Decel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2016-08-24

Front Wobble on Decel Empty
PostSubject: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 9:32 pm

So a while back I posted that I experienced a front end wobble on deceleration one day when I took both hands of the bars to zip up my jacket. My tires were worn so I put a new set on. Wobble was still there but not as bad. This is been bugging me for about a yr now. Finally I performed road test with the following changes.

Air press at 30 psi front and 35 rear
Top box on but empty
Results: Huge wobble.

Next removed top box
Results: No change.

Next put top box back on and raised front tire pressure to 35 psi
Results: Wobble almost gone!!!

Next took top box off again
Results: Wobble completely gone!!!!!

So I feel the problem is a combination of soft sidewalls and extended attachments up high and off the back. The SW just doesn't like it.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3170
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 11:36 pm

Thank you for posting this, Toolman. Great info to have.

We all benefit from shared information.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 am

35 psi in the front? I think it might pay to check the state of your head bearings...
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 796
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 5:53 am

Presumably the wheel is balanced ?
Check tyre for eneven wear pattern.
For topbox fitment, try fitting heavier handlebar end weights (sometimes supplied with the box)
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3170
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 10:52 am

Toolman: Further to your observations re front end wobble, I wonder how much your million dollar custom shocks play into this (i.e. decel weight shift or the lack of it)?

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 10:55 am

The triple tree is a single yoke on Silverwing scooters. While fine in normal use it tends to protest under certain conditions. My Silverwing had a leaking fork seal and worn front tire when I purchased it. Wobbled like crazy when slowing down. Got a new front tire and rebuilt the fork seals (OEM oil and springs) and rebuilt the headset bearings. Was greatly improved afterwards. Tire pressure is very important as is proper weight loading. Mine has a medium sized GIVI top box.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

Number of posts : 2328
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 11:00 pm

Strictly speaking (or writing) there is no triple tree on a Silver Wing scooter. The triple in triple tree comes from the way most motorcycle forks are built. There are three tubes joined usually by the top plate and a lower triangular plate that the steering head tube and the upper end of the shock tube are held togther. The Silver Wing's fork is much like the nose wheel on aircraft. A single shaft through the head bearings to the handle bars and a casting where the fork tubes and steering shaft tube meet. Plenty strong for the loads put on it.

The Goldwing motorcycle have a similar head shake usually only noticed by allowing the bike to decelerate through 35 mph where the head shake usually occurs. It's similar on the SW, it's not a violent wobblie like the dangerous ones some Harley bikes had at high speed. At 35mph or so there just isn't that much energy in the system to get violent. Usually one hand lightly on a grip will stop or prevent it.

Now if anyone is looking for some real tank slapping wobbling try a '49 Triumph 650 with the friction knob on the fork not screwed down snugly at road speeds. Downright scary.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2019 3:11 pm

I can't confess to be an expert on this subject but I thought it was all down to the small wheels on the SW. I have a new front wheel which is balanced and a new tyre...it wobbles a bit at certain decel speeds when I let go of the handlebars. I thought it was normal!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2019 7:44 pm

On a Goldwing a well balanced new front tire often eliminated the 35mph deceleration head shake....
for awhile. My BMW C650 scooter also had the same symptom as does my current Silver Wing. On both the Goldwing and Silverwing I've experimented by going hands off and slapping one or the other grips at varying speeds. It takes nerve at the higher speeds but I did it. I've never found a violent tank slapper wobble like the Harleys were afflicted with. Those were downright dangerous because they happened at high speed which meant there was a lot more energy in the wobble. Something like that could result in disintegration of the fork followed by the rest of the bike and rider.

I've never heard of anyone with a Honda product in good condition having a dangerous wobble. As an experiment when you do get a quiver in the fork just put one hand or a couple of fingers on the grip and you will find it quits immediately.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 2:16 pm

exavid wrote:
As an experiment when you do get a quiver in the fork just put one hand or a couple of fingers on the grip and you will find it quits immediately.

When I experimented with that wobble I found that by resting my index finger on either of the hand grips the wobble stopped. Unless you're getting wobble with both hands on the bars, don't worry about it. As I said, I think it's normal for this type of design.

Solution: Don't let go of the handlebars Wink
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

PostSubject: Re: Front Wobble on Decel   Front Wobble on Decel I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 11:22 pm

That kind of head shake is not unusual in bikes with fairings. My previous two Silver Wings did it as well as my BMW C650GT. It doesn't seem to be two threatening and doesn't seem to take any effort to stop it.

Early Goldwings had a pretty impressive headshake. Honda solved it with a heavy weight on the frame which would oscillate out of phase with the head shake. Not too sophisticated but it fixed the problem on that bike.
Back to top Go down

Front Wobble on Decel
Page 1 of 1