Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Scooter Magazine needs your help

Go down 
+5
DLK
GHM-PM
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
Howardr
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Howardr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Scooter Magazine needs your help Empty
PostSubject: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2019 12:46 pm

After the first three issues being aimed at the 4-Corners region, I have decided to take The Scooter 'Zine in a NATIONAL direction. The fact that people from 19 different states have subscribed made me realize that riders around the country are eager to read scooter stuff. To that end, the current issue features a rider from Hawaii (Mitch Bergsma of "Mitch's Scooter Stuff") an adventure along Route 66 and, because Amerivespa 2020 will be held in Minneapolis-St Paul, ScootervilleMN and the Twin Cities Scooter Collective are featured.

So, why the 'Zine need help? Well, I still have to work for a living and I don't have the time or money to ride around the country finding first hand information. I am looking for scooter riders around the country who would like to contribute to the magazine. I am looking for the following:

*Riders - Have you ridden somewhere or done something exciting/fun/interesting on your scooter? When people introduce you do they say something like "This is ****, have him tell you about the time he/she __________ on a scooter"? That's kind of what I'm looking for.
*Do you lead or ride with a club? Each issue will feature a club, their history, what their average rider looks like, what kind of things they do etc. If you can put me in touch with the leader of your club, that would be great.
*Have you ridden a "Bucket List" kind of road? Each issue features a specific road known to be a great ride. The Million Dollar Highway is featured in the current issue. Would you be willing to write about your experience? Contact me.
*Is your local shop really great? I would love to talk to them about it and give them a little bit of free advertising. Send me their contact info

If you want to learn more about The Scooter 'Zine before you make any decisions, download a sample issue or maybe even subscribe, go to our brand new website: thescooterzine.com .

The best way to send me information is to email it to me at: thescooterzine@gmail.com

Thanks, in advance

Howard
Back to top Go down
https://thescooterzine.com/
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 5:50 am

I just got first issue----probably worth the $20 for a year. I enjoyed reading it. Nice to know there is still some interest in scooters in the US----but I noticed mentioned on "loading bike in pickup" and another article on SD.....I suspect that scooter/scooters were not ridden there. I do not like "trailer bikers" who like to talk the talk but really not do the ride/rides.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 7:15 am

Jeez John, all the guy's asking for is a little help in contributing to the making the magazine better. While I appreciate your Purist dedication to riding. I do think that It's a little early in the game for grumbling about how other folks don't do it right.

With all those miles under your belt you can sure come up with a tale, or two. How about a few tips on riding to Hyder? Where's the best place to cross the border if you're riding from the East? Best towns to stop in, etc. You must have a tale about doing a long trip on a Helix...

Tim
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 7:32 am

I subscribed after issue #1. It has gotten better each issue, and I hope to contribute ride info this fall after I get back to Arizona and my scooter. Howard is a RIDER and his scoot is not a "trailer queen" I can vouch for that one.

Myself also I am a rider, but there are times where trailering is necessary...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 8:24 am

Trailers are for when it is broke and will not go anymore.
Back to top Go down
Howardr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Hey John.
First, thanks for your subscription. I really appreciate. Second, thanks for reading through your issue and feeling that it's worth the money your paid for it. (Not everyone reads the magazines they buy.) We will endeavor to have the magazine continue to improve with every issue. Please remember, though, that I (and everyone who has contributed to the 'Zine) am just a working stiff who loves my scooters. I am not a random magazine guy who sees that there are no scooter magazines in the US and thinks he can make a buck. I work 12 hour shifts in the Veteran's Medical Center ER.
Yes, Sean Lynch did take his 125cc bike from Tucson to Alabama for the Barber Small Bore in the back of his truck. Only small displacement bikes are invited. He certainly could have ridden it to AL but didn't have the vacation time to do so. I've ridden thousands of miles with Sean. He's the only guy I know that can tear down and rebuild a motor along the road if he needed to.
I'm not sure to what other instance you may be referring. If it is the Million Dollar Highway write up, Sean and I rode from Tucson across the southern part of Utah, into CO for the MDH and back home. I was on my 244cc Helix.
I am thrilled that other people want to write for the magazine. I feel like it makes it that much better to get different perspectives and bike experiences. Is there a link to the thread where John rode to Hyder? I would love to read it.

I hope a few of y'all will be interested in contributing to the magazine. Epic ride reports are appreciated, as are any of the other things from the OP.

Have a great day and ride safe

Howard
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2019-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 12:43 pm

Howard, first off thank you for taking the time to do this. I am a subscriber. And your magazine is expending quickly. I enjoy it and also enjoy seeing it grow. I am new to the world of scooters, coming from many years on all types of motorcycles , and a magazine or 5 for every kind of bike or riding style. When I switched to a modern scooter I could not find a single magazine for them. Then you started yours.  
Please keep in mind no matter what you print someone will not be happy.  It has been going on forever. Even in the scooter world there’s rockers vs mods, 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, old vs new, trailer vs ride at all costs, etc. I feel no magazine can cover all aspects of anything without covering some of what is not my style. It’s that way with every motorcycle , gun , hunting, fishing magazine I have ever gotten. Your content is great. Your magazine is growing, and I for one thank you for putting the time and effort into it so I can enjoy reading it.

Dan
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 9:20 pm

Im old school and actually enjoy printed/physical format. I rarely read a online magazine. I miss Scoot Tours (Helix heavy) and Scooter Rider Magazine (Mr. Strauss if I recall). I may have to check yours out. Im not very interesting, dont really hang out much with other scooter riders and dont have a favorite shop so I dont have anything to contribute I guess but reading about others adventures sounds kinda interesting.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 6:08 am

Hyder is the easy way to Alaska---paved all the way, except the last mile. I try to stop for hamburger and beer, but last time I was there, bar was closed Been there on Burgman 400, Helix and CB300F that I can recall.

Also I have ridden the ALCAN highway, Honda CB750 F-----too many people and fat guys in giant motorhomes try to run you down or not even seeing you.

Hyder----straight up from Seattle works---but I usually enter Canada from ND or Montana---ride thru the rockies=pretty. Canada for me a little more expensive than US, but motels are cleaner and in better condition.

James Bay Road in Quebec, I have ridden with BMW K-75 and Honda CB300F, only place in N. America where you need to carry a can of gas on bike. 20 years ago road was in fine shape---last year terrible. End of road Radisson.

For me Helix, most enjoyable scooter for touring--had 4 new ones, 175,000 total miles, liked the built in trunk. Present scooter Kymco XTown 300i ABS=nice, nice price---SilverWing loaded for touring got too heavy for me.

Back to top Go down
Howardr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 am

sc00ter wrote:
Im old school and actually enjoy printed/physical format. I rarely read a online magazine. I miss Scoot Tours (Helix heavy) and Scooter Rider Magazine (Mr. Strauss if I recall). I may have to check yours out. Im not very interesting, dont really hang out much with other scooter riders and dont have a favorite shop so I dont have anything to contribute I guess but reading about others adventures sounds kinda interesting.

Would love to have you on board with us. I haven't found any issues of Scoot Tours, but I have exchanged emails and spoken with Mr Strauss on the phone about his experiences with putting together a magazine. He's been very helpful. Although I couldn't find any actual hard copies of Scooter Rider, he sent me his original digital files for one, so I could see it.
Give us a try. The magazine is unpolished, but we're doing the best we can to put out a quality product.

Howard
Back to top Go down
Howardr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 11:00 am

john grinsel wrote:
Hyder is the easy way to Alaska---paved all the way, except the last mile.  I try to stop for hamburger and beer, but last time I was there, bar was closed  Been there on Burgman 400, Helix and CB300F that I can recall.

Also I have ridden the ALCAN highway, Honda CB750 F-----too many people and fat guys in giant motorhomes try to run you down or not even seeing you.

Hyder----straight up from Seattle works---but I usually enter Canada from ND or Montana---ride thru the rockies=pretty.  Canada for me a little more expensive than US, but motels are cleaner and in better condition.

James Bay Road in Quebec, I have ridden with BMW K-75 and Honda CB300F, only place in N. America where you need to carry a can of gas on bike.  20 years ago road was in fine shape---last year terrible.   End of road Radisson.

For me Helix, most enjoyable scooter for touring--had 4 new ones, 175,000 total miles, liked the built in trunk.  Present scooter Kymco XTown 300i ABS=nice, nice price---SilverWing loaded for touring got too heavy for me.

I couldn't agree with more about the Helix. Mine is still my touring bike and my daily rider. I have another one with a sidecar attached. I've looked at several other bikes and none have been as comfortable as the Helix. I did just get a screaming deal on an '07 Piaggio X-9 Evolution. (500cc and 45hp) I'm hoping that I learn to like it, if not, I'll sell it.

How do you like to X-Town?

Howard
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 2:44 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Trailers are for when it is broke and will not go anymore.

Reading this narrow minded, myopic statement time after time is truly tiresome.

Reminds me of one of my Dad's sayings from his home country. Loosely translated it goes something like this ... "a smart man wouldn't speak and a stupid one doesn't know any better".
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 3:34 pm

XTown for price=great scooter. Only thing missing is parking brake. Quality as good or better than Japan or Thai made. Much easier to work on than Honda or Suzuki or Yamaha for that matter. A bit low geared at highway speed...but remember it is a scooter not a sub for sports bike. 2 year warranty

Underseat storage fine, belt change interval is 10,000 miles---OEM belt $85 from dealer as I recall. Rubber band drive scooter I always carry spare drive belt---need one, dealer will probably not have in stock, OEM windshield not so great but better than SilverWing/Burgman 400 or Helix for that matter. Bolted on Laminar Lip makes shield useable.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2019 10:55 pm

Howard, are you kidding? I recently sent all my physical copies of Scooter Rider Magazine to England. Cost $60 to ship them! Had all the issues, even the first one courtesy of Mr. Strauss. I still have all the issues of Scoot Tours, I just need to round them up. I have a mint Scooter Rider Magazine t-shirt still, and a cool little pin/badge for Scoot Tours with their Helix logo on my winter jacket. I also purged all my physical copies of Scoot! magazine. More vintage coverage but they also included some modern stuff to mix it up. I think they are online only now.
Back to top Go down
Mt440
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2017-05-19

PostSubject: Boring Scooter Rider   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2019 10:11 am

It's fun reading everyone's long trip stories and have went on a few 300-500 mile rides with some riding groups.   But find myself using my scooters for daily transportation.  We spend our winters in Florida so we trailer the SW.    Prefer my Kymco  150 for around town.   Never see anyone on a scooter around my town Norris TN.  A lot of folks made fun of me riding a scooter but at 66 I just don't care anymore.   It's all about ease of use and economy for me now.   Almost gave up riding after having trouble straddling my motorcycle.   Then  swallowed my ego and tried a scooter.   Haven't looked back since!  Hope your magazine is a tremendous  success.   Maybe the green New Deal will cause more people to consider scooters!😉
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2019 12:51 pm

I have been to your town on my s/wing about 3 years ago. We were
Riding often then he sold his,but l still ride. I live 16 miles n-e of Greeneville
North of l-81. Good to hear you are sorta close.
Safe riding...
Back to top Go down
Howardr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 11:31 am

sc00ter wrote:
Howard, are you kidding? I recently sent all my physical copies of Scooter Rider Magazine to England. Cost $60 to ship them! Had all the issues, even the first one courtesy of Mr. Strauss. I still have all the issues of Scoot Tours, I just need to round them up. I have a mint Scooter Rider Magazine t-shirt still, and a cool little pin/badge for Scoot Tours with their Helix logo on my winter jacket. I also purged all my physical copies of Scoot! magazine. More vintage coverage but they also included some modern stuff to mix it up. I think they are online only now.

Scoot! announced that they were going digital, but never actually published a single digital magazine. I got in to scooters a little too late to have seen Scooter Rider or Scoot Tours. I did join the Scoot Touring Yahoo group, although I don't think there is any connection. That group has, mostly died, like most of the other scooter related Yahoo groups.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scooter Magazine needs your help   Scooter Magazine needs your help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scooter Magazine needs your help
Page 1 of 1