Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Valve clearance adjustments?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Valve clearance adjustments? Empty
PostSubject: Valve clearance adjustments?   Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:48 am

I've looked at all the subject lines and saw the 16K & 32K
maintenance list and did a search on "valve", but see nothing about SWing valve clearance adjustments. I would download the service manual except I have dial-up.

So, does the SWing have hydraulic lifters or something?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
jimjotel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Valve clearance adjustments?   Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:05 am

valve clearance is as follows for the 2008
mm inches
in 0.16 +or- 0.03 0.006 +or- .001
ex 0.22 +or- 0.03 0.009 +or- .001
Back to top Go down
http://jimtelford@bellsouth.net

PostSubject: Re: Valve clearance adjustments?   Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:12 am

Thank you.
However, I failed to say that I was most interested in what
type of adjustment the SWing uses, shims or screw-type?
(Well, that is aftern now concluding it doesn't have some form of
automatic adjustment as did some earlier GOLDwing models.)

And after that, I would also be curious about suggested
inspection/adjustment mileage intervals.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Valve clearance adjustments?   Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 2:26 pm

The SW has the same kind of shim and bucket as the Goldwing 1200-1800s. Pretty common system for a lot of motorcycles. I haven't looked at it on my SW yet but on the GW the adjustment is to install shims and then rotate the rocker shaft to eliminate lash. The Honda Service Manual covers the job well. Helm Inc. publishes the manual for Honda, it's $60 but well worth the price.

http://tinyurl.com/yjrwoey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Valve clearance adjustments?   Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 4:14 pm

exavid wrote:
The SW has the same kind of shim and bucket as the Goldwing 1200-1800s. Pretty common system for a lot of motorcycles. I haven't looked at it on my SW yet but on the GW the adjustment is to install shims and then rotate the rocker shaft to eliminate lash. The Honda Service Manual covers the job well. Helm Inc. publishes the manual for Honda, it's $60 but well worth the price.

http://tinyurl.com/yjrwoey

Yes, I was waiting to buy a manual until after I bought a Swing. Smile

Also, FYI, although the Goldwing 1200's technically have shims in their valve-train, adjustment of those is pretty much only done during engine assembly or replacement of parts that would normally never need replacement. After that, the hydraulic tappets take up the play and should normally never require human intervention during normal use. (I have an 86 Aspencade and that is what my manual tells me anyway.)

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Valve clearance adjustments?   Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 3:29 pm

I don't know the exact interval they recommend, but it's a LOT longer than the Burgman 650. That was the deciding factor that put me on a Silverwing. I ride long distances and didn't want to be adjusting the valves every week.

Don't quote me on this......but most non-hydraulic systems tend to loosen with time, rather than tighten, so you COULD just listen for clicking. It won't hurt anything. Too tight, on the other hand, can burn valves. Somebody with more Silverwing engine experience than I could probably answer that riddle. But I'd guess you're OK to just ride until it starts to tick. That's actually the recommended procedure for a new Honda Civic engine: As long as it's not ticking, it's fine. And they seem to believe it'll remain "fine" for a very long time. There is no specific service interval.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valve clearance adjustments?   Valve clearance adjustments? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Valve clearance adjustments?
Page 1 of 1