Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Should I buy this SW? Need some help.

Go down 
+6
bikehiker
Sidewinder Pilot
GHM-PM
Delray
gustav
senorcosta
10 posters
AuthorMessage
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2019-08-12

Should I buy this SW? Need some help. Empty
PostSubject: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi all
I have a chance to buy a 2007 with only 2,100 miles on it. Its immaculate. They're asking $3,000 US.
KBB and NADA avg is $2,500 but this is immaculate with very low miles.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Offer 2 grand, at the most. In my opinion. Paul
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 8:15 pm

I'm guessing this is the bike in question, from craigslist in Portland ....

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcd/d/happy-valley-2007-honda-silverwing-600/6943910763.html

Definitely looks immaculate. It's from a dealer so you may have to add tax, title, registration, etc. That's going to be more than $3,000 (the ad says $3,500, so maybe that's the out-the-door price?).

For comparison, bashon, a member here, is/was selling a 2013 Wing, also immaculate with about the same mileage, for $3,500. That's a way better deal.

One big consideration: It's a 12-year old bike. Unless the coolant, brake fluid, belt, oils, tires etc. have been changed within a spec'd time, that's an additional expense. Rubber and fluids degrade. It's costly at a dealer (but relatively inexpensive if you can do the work yourself).

The good news? Pound for pound, you're looking at the biggest, most reliable, easiest to maintain big scooter in the world. It's a great ride. Just don't overpay.
Back to top Go down
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Delray
Thanks for that.
So there's no sales tax in Oregon. I know they're anxious to move the bike, so I'm pretty sure it'll be 3K out the door with any fees. I moved out here from the East Coast about six years ago. The very first thing I noticed is that the price of motorcycles on the west coast is definitely higher than anywhere else. I just listed a 2017 Honda cb500x for more than I thought it was worth. It sold in a day.
I agree with you that fluids and rubber need to be looked at closely and changed. Thankfully I'm a pretty good wrencher so that's not a problem. I was looking at a Burgman but we really don't have a Suzuki dealer here anymore. However Honda and Yamaha dealerships here are really good. They're good to have around for parts and also for something unexpected that needed extra attention.
So I've been looking at the Silverwing and the Majesty. I like the SW the best as well as the extra 200cc. So it boils down to is a few hundred dollars over what it might be worth somewhere else worth it.

Question: is there any major differences between a 2007 and let's say it 2013?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 10:27 pm

I believe the 2008 and newer got the O2 sensors and get better fuel mileage. This 2007 is in great shape and would probably be fine, but if you are serious, offer $2500 or less. It's a dealer so they know what it should cost. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 pm

.....In 2013 you could get ANY color you wanted, as long as it was black! affraid
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 12:46 pm

If it's your first offer, 2500 is a reasonable start to land somewhere in between if you can get some warranty time from the dealer. The slightly higher price could be well worth the peace of mind that you purchase from a seller that backs up the sale over a private "as is" deal.
Back to top Go down
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 3:24 pm

I'm thinking the same and will settle at $2,800 but I think that's my limit
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 4:35 pm

senorcosta wrote:
I'm thinking the same and will settle at $2,800 but I think that's my limit

If it were me, I'd ask to speak with the Sales Manager. Look him straight in the eyes and offer him $2,400 out the door. Have the money in your hand (actually cash in one of those bank envelopes that hold cash). Start low and stay firm.

Have an additional $400 in your pocket in case s/he bargains hard. Go up one hundred dollars at a time.

If you can't make the deal at your $2,800 "top line", ... take the cash out of the bank envelope, jot your name and number down on it, slide it over to the Sales Manager, thank them for their time ... then leave. Don't look back. Either they'll make the deal ... or they won't. Has worked for me every time.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 pm

Looks nice but. If fluids weren't maintained MOSTLY brake fluid could have issues ... Take a good look in tank for rust. Tires, drive belt all age related and may need replacing.

Bikes that sit for long times always need some work once you start riding them again.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 pm

I just purchased a 2008 with 16k miles on it for $2500. The owner was asking $2900 but it had been on the market for over a month with no real interest. This one is very good looking with nearly new tires. It's been garage kept for all its life so the paint is like new albeit black. The only downside for me is that it doesn't have ABS. The only thing it needs is either cutting down the tall Givi windshield or  going with an adjustable.

One thing for sure is that there isn't a big choice in Oregon, there aren't very many SW's for sale here, even in Portland. If it's as good as it sounds I don't think that 2500-2800 would be excessive in our market. If it's on Craigslist check and see how long it's been advertised that is a good hint about how flexible the sellers will be.

Last edited by exavid on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 9:15 pm

To bad you are so far away I know a dearer in PA. that has a 2012 8K for $2999. Haven't personally seen it but photos look good. A bike that's ridden once a month or so is better than one that sits around for long periods.

Depends on owner some take good care of things and do regular services. If you buy it a little TLC I'm sure it will be a great bike.
Back to top Go down
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Well, thanks for all the good advice. Tomorrow morning, I'm gonna pot $2500 in my left pocket and $300 in my right. Let's see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

PS I did some homework and SWs around here for the @500-3000 range are either older or high mileage.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Come home with the bike and the $300 in your right pocket. That's the goal. Go get it.

They'll take $2,500. Just stick to your guns. If they are a typical dealer, they will try EVERY angle under the sun to get more $$.

If you're not averse to fibbing, tell them you have two bikes you're interested in, and you're going to buy one today, but not for a nickel more than $2,500 OTD. They can either do that, or not. It's up to them.

Best car deal I ever got was telling a dealer I was going to write a check for $10k that day and I wanted the best car I could get, everything included, out the door, not a nickel more. I heard every angle in the book and some that aren't in there. I heard how much $$ they had in the car. I heard another buyer was on his way to the store with a check to buy it. I heard about the guy's sick mother. He literally tried to get me to write a check for $10,100. I kept saying no no no no no no no and got a 3-year old, low mileage Prius for $10k with tax, title, registration included ($25k car new).
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 pm

It might be redundant but, of course you should buy that Silverwing. They are rare in OR or WA and that one sounds very good. Most dealers don't expect to get their asking price no matter how hard they bluff. Scooters don't sell all that well in the NW part of the US so there aren't all that many people looking for them. That gives you and edge. But one with so low mileage is worth a bit of a premium, if it was kept indoors it should have nearly perfect paint and few scratches. Besides you may not know it yet but you NEED a Silverwing.

It took me a few years away to realize my addiction so be warned! After all you meet the nicest people on a Hona. Anyone rmember that old TV ad!
Back to top Go down
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 11:09 pm

Well we settled on $2700 OTD but only after I do a thorough inspection. I think I can live with that.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 5:57 am

exavid wrote:
After all you meet the nicest people on a Hona. Anyone rmember that old TV ad!

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 7:15 am

senorcosta wrote:
Well we settled on $2700 OTD but only after I do a thorough inspection. I think I can live with that.

Sounds like you did just fine! Good luck.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 7:50 am

GHM-PM wrote:
senorcosta wrote:

Sounds like you did just fine! Good luck.

+1
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Congratulations now you've gone down the rat hole like rest of us! chickendance

Just kidding, I think you have latched onto a good deal, congratulations and may you have many happy miles on the Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2019 11:01 pm

Well, here she is....what look like scratches are just reflections.

Should I buy this SW? Need some help. Img_2014
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. Img_2015
Should I buy this SW? Need some help. Img_2013
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 1:19 am

Looks just like a Silver Wing! Just like a Silver Wing should! Congrats! applause
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 6:43 am

Looks good! What color is that? Go to BLACK PATH RACING on ebay and get their mirror extenders, they were cheaper on ebay than their website.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 7:21 am

Very nice scoot! Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 10:02 am

"Well, here she is...."

She's a beauty. Good for you. Gotta love 2,100 miles on the OD.

I bought my '12 last year with 1,600 miles. Now at 8,400 miles and it feels like the bike is just getting broken in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I buy this SW? Need some help.   Should I buy this SW? Need some help. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I buy this SW? Need some help.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: