Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Security chains I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Security chains

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2019-07-12

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2019 6:36 am

Here she is.. quick view of the sun, then back into the garage, with that big, chunky chain locking her down..
Security chains 20190716
Security chains 20190717
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2019 9:40 am

That certainly a hunk of chain BUT as I've seen in videos determined thieves just pick it up and stuff it in the back of a van. However it's a Honda,those intent seem to prefer HD.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2019 10:01 am

They'll need some heavy duty power tools to get through that chain..
It's rated #2 as the best chain (according to Bennetts Insurance), along with the ground anchor made by the same people.
They'd maybe take the bike and leave the back wheel behind, but without making a hell of a noise with some heavy duty industrial gear, it's gonna take them time.
When I bought the VFR1200F, I went on Google and asked, "what is the best motorcycle chain and lock on sale?"
The Pragmasis Protector 21mm chain took top position, but the 19mm version came 2nd AND 3rd (with Squire or RL21A Roundlock, respectively)..
The folks who sell these beasts apparently sell the very same chain/lock combos to both the Ministry of Defence and NASA!

Good enough for my bike then.
Bolt croppers simply won't work on the chain and they're specially treated to be resistant to sledgehammer attacks..

It'll slow down the professional thieves and hopefully put off the amateurs anyway...
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2019 10:09 am

I was just amazed that it slipped through the wheel, to be honest!
I slip an old sock over the exposed chain links and with a j-cloth on the rim itself, I can wiggle it between the brake disc and the rim without scratching the paintwork..

And if they get past the chain and ground anchor, there's always a chance of them hitting the tripwires and setting off the Claymor...
Umm. Alarm.
Setting off the ALARM.

Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am

Fortunately, Easyrider, the RL21A Roundlock is designed for a dual purpose! With the extra bevelled piece that comes with it, it will fit snugly between the links of the 19mm Pragmasis, preventing access to any large protruding parts.. But it also doubles as a disc lock! The only downside is finding a large enough aperture on the disc to put it through..
It's just too big for the front disc, and without trying yet, it looks about the same for the rear..

But the 19mm chain and ground anchor is ONLY to secure it at home in the garage anyway! If I did carry it, it would have to go under the seat. No way would I risk anything that heavy in the top box! It would feel like a pillion sitting up there!

I'm just overjoyed that the chain goes through the wheel. When I bought the MP3 500, I went to the local bike superstore and just told them "I'll take the best, thickest chain & lock that'll go through the wheel!" That ended up being a 10mm Abus Granite Citylock IIRC...
When I chopped it in for the VFR1200F, I bought another 12mm chain and a big alarmed disc lock, but when I got a spare garage to secure everything in, I was determined not to lose it and got the Pragmasis kit. It's well rated as the best chain on the market, and I know even THAT will only slow down the professional thief, but if it makes their job harder, then there's a good chance they'll walk away and snatch something easier..
If it hadn't have been for the crippling (for me) riding position, I would still probably have the VFR and may have gone to the next level and fitted a tracker... The bike was getting a lot of the wrong kind of attention from the local youths anyway, so...

I'm better off in the long run with the Swing. I knew it the minute I sat on it!
First proper ride tomorrow, once the insurance kicks in at midnight tonight... Weather forecast looks good.
Nice and steady for the first couple of miles til I get my "scooter-legs" back, and also to take it easy on the brand new Pirelli front tyre!

Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 12:34 pm

With all the talk of chains and ground locks, is bike-stealing a local problem or prevalent across England and/or Europe?

Florida is the scooter capital of the U.S. and tiny bikes (50cc) get stolen frequently, but I've yet to hear of a Silver Wing or Burgman or BMW lifted. The penalty for that is super-harsh; maybe that's part of the reason.

I live in a secure, guard-gated community so I don't have to worry about my bike at home, but in all the times I've ventured out, I never even locked my front wheel once.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Sadly Delray, our Police have been so badly hampered by the crazy laws over here.. (No guns for the Leo's!)
That said, down in London there's been a change in the way the police can intercept the moped/scooter thieves (both those who take them and those who commit crimes ON them!), and they can now ram the little f@€&ers off their rides.
Here in the Midlands UK, I've had groups of lads walk right up to me in car parks, threatening to take the bike off me there and then!
I'm not a fighter by nature, but I don't waste any time if I think things are going south.. If I can't talk or walk my way out of something, I'll make a mess of the first one in the queue.
When I first moved onto this estate, and got the MP3, it was parked in a locked enclosure and chained to a security post. Less than 48hrs later someone had removed the cover and tried to drag the trike out of the enclosure!
When I bought the VFR, the same thing happened and I had to report it again to the estate management.
Luckily, they freed up a garage they'd been using for storage and allowed me to get it out of sight. Don't know if it was the comment I made in passing about what physical impediments I would inflict upon ANYONE I caught interfering with my pride and joy, or my promise of reporting the management to the authorities for failing to report the incidents themselves, should my bike go missing...
In any event, my Silverwing is about as securely shackled down as I can make it, and I haven't had to use my favourite pliers on anyone's thumbs, so...

But I'm guessing it's not much different anywhere else... Wink
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Very interesting.

I like the ramming angle, but I hope there is a law in place to compensate the owner of the stolen rammed vehicle for his/her loss.

"I'm not a fighter by nature, but I don't waste any time if I think things are going south.. If I can't talk or walk my way out of something, I'll make a mess of the first one in the queue."

Ha, this reminds me of a character in a 1991 Irish movie called "The Commitments." If a fight started, his go-to move was a head-butt to the center of the nose. Blood everywhere. Nose broken. Fight over. I've never had to use that move, but I've never forgotten it.

Unfortunately, we are at the opposite end of the spectrum of police not carrying guns. Everybody has guns. I have a Conceal/Carry license myself. Recently, about ten miles from where I live, a girl was driving her boyfriend home when a BMW cut them off in traffic. The BMW driver told his companion he felt badly about it, so he waited at a red light to apologize. As the cut-off car pulled up next to the BMW, the boyfriend opened fire with a handgun. The BMW driver also had a gun and fired back. Result: both dead. For better and worse, the Wild West is alive and well in America.

Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 1:52 pm

I know the film well...
I used to work in the music industry as a producer/engineer whilst teaching an audio engineering course at the same studio. Back in 2001, I got jumped by a street gang and was left with a fractured skull, brain haemorrhage and torn ear drum (exit route for the internal fluids escaping the building pressure!).
Studio career over (can't hear in stereo any more), I carried on teaching there for another couple of years until the one who cracked my skull with the house brick from behind appeared in my classroom one morning.
He was lucky. I was about to get a microphone stand from the live room and see if he was as brave 1 on 1...
My manager caught me before I went and sentenced myself to jail.
That was my last day there.

These days, I avoid conflict. But an old friend taught me some wisdom when it comes to dealing with these cowards... Take out the closest or the weakest without any warning. Play dirty if you have to, but make an example of the first idiot and generally the others get the idea. I'm big enough to be scary when I'm enraged and I'm not going to back down unless they're armed with guns.
My friend showed me a few choice places to inflict maximum shock damage, too. Noses are great. Spectacular.
Knees, if they get too close, are a good place to aim for too..

But wow...
This has turned dark, all of a sudden...

Swing's secure at night! Yay!

First ride tomorrow! Yay!

Nobody needs to lose full or partial use of ANY of their body parts! YAY!

Right. Back to the Bourbon! Smile
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Dark is part of the rainbow and those are interesting tales.

Enjoy that first ride thoroughly!
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Cheers Delray...

Will do!
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Quick update.

The Swing brought a big smile back to my face today.. Very comfy position cruising down the motorway at 70. Nice and smooth too. I was expecting a bit more vibes at the higher speeds, but then, I didn't have (or need) the opportunity to take it over an indicated 80mph..
Handling was a bit different to my memories of the Burgervan, but not in a bad way. Just different! Getting used to those little wheels...

Happy days...
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2019 8:54 pm

Enjoy new ride. It doesn't really shake until 105 mph. Max speed. Smile

Thieves. Mad We all work hard for what we have.

Something get deleted from a few days ago. thumbs up I don't mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Security chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security chains   Security chains I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Security chains
Page 1 of 1