Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hi all, another new member in the UK

Go down 
+8
oldwingguy
Mech 1 twa
gustav
Dale N.
GoonerKev
cotetoi
terrier
DaveTheBear
12 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2019-07-12

Hi all, another new member in the UK Empty
PostSubject: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Hey everyone!
Just purchased an FJS600 A7 from a dealer down in Bristol, UK, and thought I'd better introduce myself!
This will be my 3rd scooter, having had a 2013 Burgman and a Piaggio MP3 500 in the past...
Originally a dyed-in-the-wool "traditional" biker, having gone the usual route from 125cc through 250's, 500's, 550's, 750's, 900's, 1000's and 1300's (Hayabusa!), I was bitten by the bug when I took a test ride on a Burgervan. I'd had a very old BMW K100LT fail quite spectacularly on me a few years back, and as my knees were starting to go, I wanted something a bit easier to run around on..
After a very quick learning curve moment, getting used to having no clutch, etc, I was impressed by how easy these scoots are to ride!
Anyhoo... Fast forward a couple of years after I had to let the Burgman go, I tried to get on with a 500cc Piaggio MP3, but found it a bit of a disappointment.
So I went and bought a really nice Honda VFR1200F!
Great! Back to "regular" bikes, I thought... but discovered that the riding position was no good for my poor old wrists.
After 30 minutes my right hand would be numb, so I rethought the situation and part exchanged my VFR for a nice condition, low mileage (8800) Silverwing in silver! I take delivery in about a week's time, allowing the dealer to put a fresh 12 month's MOT on it.
Sorry for the long intro, but there ya go!
Dave.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Dave  thumbs up
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Dave, you certainly are no stranger to two-wheeled vehicles ! Glad you like the SWing, and you are among like-minded folks here. Welcome to the forum.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Welcome Dave, enjoy mate Wink
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Welcome Dave and thanks for the introduction. Don't worry about it being too long. It's better than a too short one or none at all.
Lots of info here with people ready and willing to share.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks everyone!
Happy to be here!
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Welcome Dave! Enjoy the ride! Paul
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Welcome... SW is a good bike-scooter.
We don't get any younger but we do get wiser. Enjoy new ride.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 4:32 am

So... my new Swing arrives tomorrow!
They've very kindly put a new front tyre on for me, as well as a fresh 12 months MOT. Can't complain about that!
Hi all, another new member in the UK Screen11
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 4:52 am

I didn't notice until I went to see the bike that she's got heated grips fitted as well...

Got a great bargain on a new, ex-display Garmin Zumo 390LM off Ebay as well, which just arrived yesterday, so that'll be the next addition.
I love all the mounting options they supply with the unit.. I'm torn between using the direct-mount on to the lever assembly and the handlebar clamp..
I might just take the lot down to my local friendly garage and see what he'll charge me to fit it properly! I'd rather have an expert (and culpable) mechanic wire it up (preferably only when the ignition is on) - knowing my luck, I'd only damage something trying to remove the various panels to route the power cable!

Once that's done, I'm all sorted.

Explaining the reasons for my change in ride to my brother last night, I couldn't put it easier - everything is going to be easier for me with the Silverwing. A pair of decent tyres costs less than a single hoop on the VFR. Fuel economy is better. Luggage capacity is better. Cheaper to insure.
And on, and on, and on...
And it's still fast enough to lose my license!
Plus, I can pop my phone on charge in the left hand cubby hole and have the satnav burbling away with everything routed through my little Freecom 1 Bluetooth headset!

Fewer flies on my visor too..
I really missed having a big screen in front of me. Definitely getting old!
Hi all, another new member in the UK 20190712
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 am

Welcome from o-HI-o and enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 11:27 am

Dave
If you feel confident on stalling your Garmin wires then have a go mate (it's good to see what under the plastic) and there are plenty of people on here to help you and advise you on the way, that way you will get to know your bike more and understand........and it keeps the "Brain" going mate, well it's helping mine anyway & i'm still a grumpy old sod Wink Laughing Laughing

Will send you a PM, OK
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am

I wired my Garmin to a portable battery pack located in the left side cubby. The wires go through a hole on the right side of the left cubby and surfaces through a  grommeted hole just forward of the handle bar.  That way I am able to use it when at rest. The battery pack can also be used to start my Swing should the main battery not have enough power. My Garmin is mounted in the middle of my handle bar on a ball mount I was able to fabricate from pictures posted here.
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Cheers Kev! Greatly appreciated.
I'll have a good look when she arrives tomorrow..
I never wanted to touch the Burgman 650 in case it self-destructed! Way to many tricky little connectors and panel pins! Wasn't at all happy with the quality of finish on the exposed metalwork on the Suzuki, though it did get ridden to work through rain and snow... Still...
If it's a simple enough job to remove the necessary panels without destroying them, it'll be easy enough, I hope!
I've always got that big roll of silver gaffa tape... Wink
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 12:23 pm

That's a good solution, Easyrider!
I actually have a battery pack of a similar style probably... Just after I bought the VFR, I managed to get a garage for it, but it has no mains power in there.
I got a mate to come over with a cordless drill to install the ground anchor, but it was very dark so I turned on the bike lights.....
All done. Chained up. Garage locked.
Back to the flat.
It poured down for the next few days, so didn't use the bike.
About a week later, I get the bike out and
Battery flat.
Bought the little portable power pack from the Argos over the road, charged it up, stuck it on and Vroom! Kept it on the bike ever since!
That's gonna find a home under the seat. Just in case.
I like the idea of mounting it more centrally - closer to the direct eyeline ahead...
Oh... so many tasty, tasty choices!
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 am

Well...
She's here!
All tucked away in the garage now until I get all the paperwork in order.

But I'm bouncing around right now because I CANNOT believe that I've managed to get my Pragmasis Protector 19mm chain through the back wheel! 😮

The designer of this bike deserves a medal!

I've popped a cloth over the rim to protect the paint and with a little left/right/left wiggle, I can just squeeze this behemoth of a chain through! Amazing.
I couldn't get a 12mm chain through the MP3's wheels!

I can sleep a bit better knowing she's secure now...
Back to top Go down
DaveTheBear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2019 6:27 am

Hi all, another new member in the UK 20190714
Hi all, another new member in the UK 20190715
Hi all, another new member in the UK 20190713
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 9:20 am

Welcome aboard the board!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 9:24 am

It may be easier and more compact to carry a brake rotor lock. My 2cents.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 10:27 am

Dave's Security Chain conversation has been spun off to its own topic
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 2:08 pm

Dave, welcome from Nova Scotia --- across the pond.

Enjoy your Silverwing. The heated hand grips would be nice to have here in late fall and early spring.

Be safe out there,

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi all, another new member in the UK   Hi all, another new member in the UK I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi all, another new member in the UK
Page 1 of 1