Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch Empty
PostSubject: Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch   Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 pm

I've ordered a Malossi fly clutch from Scooter Trap. I also ordered a set of springs as I intent to use the red springs like I did on my Helix. The last time I did this on my Helix about 3 years ago, I managed to succeed using clamps and needle nose pliers but it was a bear of a job and damaged a bit of the coating on the springs which I don't want to do this time around. Does anyone know of a specific tool that would make removal and replacement of the springs simple and where I can find it?

Also, if anyone would like to try the white springs in their stock clutch, I'll have an extra set. They are a little stronger than stock and will help your scooter by engaging at a slightly higher RPM and thus improving your take-off. If someone was looking for just a little extra oomph on the bottom end this would do the trick quite nicely and very cheaply. Just PM me and let me know and we'll make arrangements. All I'd ask is to have the person send me a pre-paid self addressed padded envelope or send me $5.00 for shipping, whichever you prefer.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch   Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:14 am

I've never performed the task but these tools may help:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3980 $14.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66299 $5.99

Others with more experience will chime in shortly. I think that there is a specific clutch spring compression tool, be careful!
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

PostSubject: Re: Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch   Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 12:56 pm

I think I can get the large clutch spring off with not too much trouble. I have some steel plates that I can use along with some clamps which should help me to get that snap ring off. I was referring more to to the clutch shoe springs. They are small and strong (especially those red ones) and the are difficult to stretch and get in the holes on the end of the clutch shoes. I'm thinking there's got to be some kind of tool for stretching small springs that might work. If worse came to worse though, I can take it down to the guy who does my tires and I'm sure he's got something that'll fit the bill.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch   Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Ron,

Can you take some pics as you do this? I'm sure we would all like to see how this is done. Maybe look at some "Pictorials" to see how they were done. It doesn't take that long but I have never done any clutch work and would like to see a few pics if possible.

Thanks,

Jeff
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch   Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 10:28 pm

When I've replaced the springs on the HiT Clutch for my Silverwing I've used a small flat blade screwdriver to lever/stretch the new springs on to the anchor pins.

Seems to me that the OEM Clutch can be disassembled by removing those E-ring clips and the side plate. That should give you good access to the shoe springs.

Re Disassembling the Driven Pulley and the Big Spring: Here's a link for a DIY tool for compressing the spring. While it is in Japanese, the pix's are pretty self explanatory.

http://nyarome92.fc2web.com/kasutamu2/yamikojou/kuratti_konpu/kuratti_konpu.htm

Hope this helps

Tim
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch   Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Re Disassembling the Driven Pulley and the Big Spring: Here's a link for a DIY tool for compressing the spring. While it is in Japanese, the pix's are pretty self explanatory.

http://nyarome92.fc2web.com/kasutamu2/yamikojou/kuratti_konpu/kuratti_konpu.htm

Google translated to english
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnyarome92.fc2web.com%2Fkasutamu2%2Fyamikojou%2Fkuratti_konpu%2Fkuratti_konpu.htm&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

PostSubject: Re: Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch   Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Hey guys thanks for all the info. Bill thanks for getting the english version. That is a great little tool for compressing the spring. I think that what I have will work, but my method would involve putting pressure on the clutch shoes which is something that I'd be better off not doing just to be safe. I have a welder right down the road from me so I'll see if he can make me one at a reasonable price. Jeff, I'll do a pictorial with directions like others on the board so we can put it in that section. I'm not sure how soon I'll get to it, but we'll get it done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch   Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 1:55 pm

The McPherson strut compressors won't work. They're way too big.

Try a pair of long-nosed Vice-grips. One on each side. Squeeze about three coils together a little bit. That might do it. Keep your face out of the line of fire! That looks like a pretty burly spring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch   Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Malossi Maxi Fly Clutch
Page 1 of 1