Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

These things are sent to try us...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

These things are sent to try us... Empty
PostSubject: These things are sent to try us...   These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 3:04 pm

I was cruising along today, after fixing the hand brake mechanism, and saw a huge cloud of "stuff" behind me in the mirror.

So I pulled over, and basically I seem to have lost the radiator.

I have stripped the bodywork off, and the left hand side as you are sat on it has expanded and popped.

So I need to search for a radiator now..
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: These things are sent to try us...   These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 5:14 pm

What the heck??????? Yes, you are being tried, but I welcome you to purchase my next lottery ticket. Your luck will change. Hang in there.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: These things are sent to try us...   These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 3:24 am

Not good mate, hope you get it sorted and back on the road soon Sad
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: These things are sent to try us...   These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 3:52 am

I've had a look what's out there, a new one is somewhere around the £400 from Honda, and there are 2nd hand ones available from the US as well.

But I'm lucky in that I know a guy who builds them. And as it has conventional end tanks, he might be able to repair the old one, it's a long shot but I'd prefer new if I can get one done at reasonable cost. I'll go 2nd hand in the interim if I can find one, it would need to be in good nick though. I dropped a pm to that guy you suggested, to see what he has.

Good chance to change the coolant to red too.

I'm taking the time whilst waiting to sort out the few little body work fixes, a bit of plastic welding will be happening today to fix a few "tupperware" cracks in the lower body sections, I jetwashed the stripped frame off yesterday, it is in surprisiongly good condition, but I'll treat it to some rust control and protection anyway whilst it's off.

And I fitted the new air filter, the old one went in at 20,000 miles according to the writing on the outer cover... It was in quite a state... And another oil change as well, I like to know that I'm starting from a decent base line.

The exhaust sound luvverly... 78db at 1m at 3,000rpm, lovely bass note that unfortunately doesn't come across on the camera, and it weighs 1.6kg as against the original one at almost 13kg...

I'll video the bike as it is, please be aware that the workspace it's in it also the store for the new conservatory that I'm building... That is on hold for now to prevent me covering the bike with corrosive and high friction dust.

Yes, it will get there, plastic welding, get the wheels off and start making them ready for some paint, I have my work cut out today. That's what days off are for.

Last edited by Lost it on Sun May 26, 2019 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: These things are sent to try us...   These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 4:04 am

Trevor
Did you get that exhaust that I sent you the link for, did it fit ok and how does it sound mate.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: These things are sent to try us...   These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Well, to update... Today I stripped the front wheel and sanded, wet and dry, cleaned it all up, and also took the time to measure the front disc. It was below the 4mm minimum thickness so I went looking for a new one, online..

And this is where it got wierd. The front caliper looks just like a Honda Blackbird caliper. The front disc looks just like a Honda Blackbird rear disc. The pads, well if they are different from the Blackbird ones I will be very surprised. I didn't have any to hand, but as I've ordered a new disc for it, it will be having new pads anyway.

So what's the problem?

If you ask for a Front disc for an FJS600 Silver Wing they start at £85.00 If you ask for a Rear disc for a Honda Blackbird, they start at £32.00. Blatant profiteering by the likes of DSS as far as I'm concerned. Same make, same everything, but a different part number for whatever reason.

And yes, they are the same, I fitted my "spare" rear Blackbird disc and it's the same size, no offset, same bolt spacing... The reason it was a spare was because it's one of those stupid "toothed" things that were originally designed for use on off road bikes to throw the mud off the disc. Don't belong on road bikes IMHO.

I also cut a bit of the radiator vanes away and crimped the ends of the run that was leaking. It's holding pressure so the bike is still useable if I get stuck.  sunny

So what else did I get up to?

Well I washed the whole of the chassis down and rust treated the bits that were showing surface rust, then I waxoyled the whole lot, including inside the open tubes. This bike will last forever.

I adjusted the head race, started the bodywork repairs too. I started the plastic weld on the front mudguard and it's not going brilliantly, but at least I have three definitely solid fixings on it now.

I'll fashion a 4th one somehow, that's the challenge.

I was scratching for what paint to use on the front wheel, and I found a can of Green metallic that I used to repair the sill on my wife's Lexus when she bent it out of shape, so I've used that for now.  It's done the job of showing me where I need to spend a bit more time cleaning the wheel up. But it actually seems to "work". It might stay that colour...

I'm really enjoying putting this bike straight.

GK.. The exhaust fits well. It comes with paste, a bracket to drop the mount if you feel it needs it, it sounds very nice and bassy, you won't be missed when filtering I don't think. Nothing like the original system in noise profile. The paperwork that came with it suggested it opens up the midrange a bit, and gives about 1/2hp more. So not worth it if you are looking for huge power gains, but you DO gain a substantial amount in power to weight, and that's not to be sniffed at.

The baffle is still in on mine, I think it's adequate sound wise without it shaking the house. Just the weight saving alone has to be worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: These things are sent to try us...   These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Trevor
Thanks for the update mate, not after anymore HP to be honest (those days are gone), but do like the info you wrote about it, and will look at getting the chrome one and not the black, cheers mate Wink
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: These things are sent to try us...   These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 5:08 am

The update on this is that, well, I've been at work, I went to look at a Lexus RX for the missus on Bank Holiday Monday. They didn't want to do a straight swap...

And I spoke to my "radiator guy" and he wants me to take it off so that he can see if he can fix it. So I have a busy weekend coming. Should have my new tyres by today as well.

The "posh" mirrors turned up too, so I have a lot to get through. Plastics to fix, front mudgaurd needs another bit of fettling, I bought myself a "wood working" soldering iron for the plastic welding side, my gas powered one gets too hot too quickly.

Yes. Lots to do. Shame I can't post pictures yet, or put links on, but I guess that will happen soon enough?

Never had any respnse to the PM's I sent about spares, so I'll presume the bits I want aren't available, and move on from there.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: These things are sent to try us...   These things are sent to try us... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

These things are sent to try us...
Page 1 of 1