Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

4-Way blinkers

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
Easyrider
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

4-Way blinkers Empty
PostSubject: 4-Way blinkers   4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2018 2:06 pm

joebillybobinark WROTE:
While body cover was off was able to posi-tap the rear blinker lead.  4 way blinker is next on my to-do list

I choose not to use the bike's turn signals for warning flashers because you need to have the ignition turned on to use the turn signals. That would drain the battery really fast, less than ten minutes. And as John would say, "walking is not fun". You cannot jump start your bike.
Instead I installed a LED flasher controller into to right side storage compartment. Attached to my fused distribution box. Kit came with four three bulb LED lights. It does not need the ignition to be on in order to function. Comes with three different flash patterns.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

4-Way blinkers Empty
PostSubject: 4-Way flashers   4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2018 5:25 pm

So 4 way flashers was off topic for the "Oxygen sensor" discussion. So it was moved to here.

Here is a link to a previous '4-way flashers' mod discussion from a few years back: https://www.silverwing600.com/t4711-four-ways-for-5-bucks Granted, it makes use of the existing turn signals and not low-draw LEDs, but it does make the conversion.

Elsewhere on the forum is a link to the Singapore Bikes forum showing a wiring mod to bypass the OEM turn signal flasher and substitute a solid state flasher relay so that the existing turn signal bulbs can be replaced with LED bulbs without the LEDs going into hyper flash mode. That solid state flasher relay is readily available at any decent auto parts store.

No reason why an enterprising lad couldn't combine aspects of the two simple circuits and resolve this shortcoming.

Tim

Follow up: Here's the Singapore Bikes link. Unfortunately Photobucket placed their watermark directly over the tiny OEM flasher relay mounted on the Combination Meter PCB. See post #226: http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/325894-lt-Info-gt-Silverwing-400cc-600cc-Tech-Corner?p=7638707&viewfull=1#post7638707
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

4-Way blinkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-Way blinkers   4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 2:55 am

Easyrider wrote:
joebillybobinark WROTE:
While body cover was off was able to posi-tap the rear blinker lead.  4 way blinker is next on my to-do list

I choose not to use the bike's turn signals for warning flashers because you need to have the ignition turned on to use the turn signals. That would drain the battery really fast, less than ten minutes. And as John would say, "walking is not fun". You cannot jump start your bike.
Instead I installed a LED flasher controller into to right side storage compartment. Attached to my fused distribution box. Kit came with four three bulb LED lights. It does not need the ignition to be on in order to function. Comes with three different flash patterns.

I'm using "Custom Dynamics 4-Way Hazard Kit", directly wired to battery. This includes a "hazard flasher" that is switched on/off using a rocker panel switch. I haven't finished installation (mounting the rocker switch in a electrical project box to be installed in the area below the seat), but i thought these would work WITHOUT the ignition turned on? am I wrong?

the following warning is from the installation directions:
NOTE: Do not operate turn signals & 4 way hazards at the same time. 4 ways are designed to be used for emergency or special use only

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

4-Way blinkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-Way blinkers   4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 6:22 am

Does anyone actually use 4-way blinkers/flashers or in plain English, hazard warning lights. They're not something you operate on every ride if at at all to justify faffing about fitting a set.

Yes of course they're fitted to cars, and car drivers do use them and most of the time they're used inappropriately. They switch them on sheep like simply because other drivers have done so.

My '08 650 Burgman had a big red hazard warning light switch on the right hand switch cluster, and apart from testing them now and again, I never used them in the two years or so I owned the lardass lump.

I also had an ’05 400 Burgman with them fitted as OE for three years before that, I never had any reason to use them.

On both Burgmans the hazard light buttons were designed into the switch cluster and marked with the Hazard Warning triangle symbol, and activate them instinctively with a press of with your right hand thumb.

That's not the case with the Silver Wing, there's no hazard warning lights as OE, no switch, and a lot of bodging utilising the indicators set up for something you probably will never use.

It's another classic example of old men fitting un necessary junk to an old design maxi scooter just for the sake of it.          

If you think hazard lights are essential, go buy a more modern design maxi scooter that has them as OE, and you'll get all the other toys like LED lights, traction control, comprehensive instruments, smart key ignition etc.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

4-Way blinkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-Way blinkers   4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 6:51 am

right----buy new/newer scooter if you want 4-way flashers. My 2 Burgman 400's had them, my new Kymco does----I do use them...I ride a lot, have to pee alot, old----they work for me. I would never chop into older bike like SilverWing just to get 4-way flashers----just think what you could screw up.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

4-Way blinkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-Way blinkers   4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 7:30 am

I will use the hazards for participation in Patriot Guard Riders missions. A slow ride to final burial place is done with flags flying.

John I used Posi-Tap connectors to the rear left/right blinker leads. Quite easy to use and seems quite secure (unlike running power to the handlebars..uggghhhh) relay is switched and is powered directly off battery.

To each his own. I've enjoyed doing some things to my swing. Some have been a PITA
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

4-Way blinkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-Way blinkers   4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2018 2:34 am

My 4-way flashers are independent from the OE circuit so no messing up with the bikes electrical.
I have used my flashers several times. Here in Hawaii it rains alot and I've got caught in an unexpected rain storms after work. I would stop under an over pass in the emergency lane to put on my rain gear. Due to heavy traffic congestion, riders sometime drive in the emergency lane. For that reason I installed a 4-way flasher. Save my butt a couple of times.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

4-Way blinkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-Way blinkers   4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 am

joebillybobinark wrote:
I will use the hazards for participation in Patriot Guard Riders missions.  A slow ride to final burial place is done with flags flying.

John I used Posi-Tap connectors to the rear left/right blinker leads.  Quite easy to use and seems quite secure (unlike running power to the handlebars..uggghhhh)  relay is switched and is powered directly off battery.

To each his own.  I've enjoyed doing some things to my swing.  Some have been a PITA

Posi-Tap and an isolater panel, also used shrink tubing for extra moisture protection, oxygen tubing to run smaller wires through to prevent chaffing. All these used on my former G'Wings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4-Way blinkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-Way blinkers   4-Way blinkers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4-Way blinkers
Page 1 of 1