Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?

Go down 
+5
Silverwingdays
Modernman1953
The Bern
john grinsel
gasgas
9 posters
AuthorMessage
gasgas
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-07-20

How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? Empty
PostSubject: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 5:01 am

I have bought a new SYM 300 CRUISYM scooter. I love the storage capacity and the fact that you can put your feet straight down on the flat floorboards or forwards on the lower fairing. This is the reason I bought the SYM, after trying a Kwasaki scooter which only has one foot position. The SYM goes fine, and I have done about 1000 miles.
However the ride is very bumpy. Studying the seat construction I notice that the foam is only about 1" thick where the rider sits. I have taken the seat to an upholsterer who has added another 2" of seat-foam density. Yesterday I went for a 200 mile ride and although the seat is now more comfortable it was still bum-numbing by the time I got home. The general suspension / ride is fairly hard. Sometimes when a sudden dip / hole in the road catches me out, my sciatic back goes a real OUCH!. I cannot go for long rides with the bike like this. I weigh 92Kg / 204 lbs / 14st.8lb which I know is too much and I will loose some. Normally I am under 14st but have recently eaten too much! I am about 5ft 10 tall.
So: how deep and dense is the foam on a Silver Wing, and what is the long-ride effect on the nether regions? Also how would you rate the suspension?
I read on this forum that folks do long rides in a day, which is what I want to do.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 9:44 am

I find seat foam ok on SilverWing after 2 new ones and over 90,000 miles. Feet forward position has a lot to do with seat comfort, butt and spine take quite a beating. For me, after over 60 years of riding and over 1.5 million miles---I get off every hour or 50 miles, walk around bike....also relieves being bored....but I get there pain free. My world, foam just crushed down after you sit on it.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 11:58 am

I think that your sciatica is as much to blame as the seat.  As Mr.  Grinsel  says the feet forward position is hard on the lower spine, a back support of some kind may help but a regular break and movement could be just as good .  My back gives me trouble even though I've gone for a trike with lowered footrests, it's just one of the many 'benefits' of old age !
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 12:05 pm

You need to wait for Old Limey to log on bud, he has both 600 SilverWing & 300 Cruisym
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 6:39 pm

I love my Corbin seat.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2017-06-05

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2018 6:42 am

Hi it might be worth you trying an air seat by Tourecs etc, or Airhawk.

I`m going to get one soon for my Silverwing as I too have quite bad disc issues.

Also getting Gel put in the seat may help more than foam.

There is a 2cm thick gel option ( or 1cm ) looking on ebay.

Its a mix of poor UK roads and the scooter not having a proper swinging arm causes shocks to travel through more than a bike.

Good luck.

Best Mark.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2018 5:24 am

I don't really see that, you need to be reasonable physical condition to ride any motorcycle or scooter. Reading forum posts over the years I've read numerous posts from older bike riders that that wouldn't have considered a maxi scooter at all when they were younger and have now bought one as they haven't got the wrist strength to manage a motorcycle clutch lever ( yet the same lever operates the rear brake on a maxi)

Others they say that have knackered knees from riding sports bikes, carpet fitting or whatever, and everyone knows someone that complains about their bad back.

I feel road bumps far more on my push bike than I do on the Silver Wing, I ride over a level crossing every day and to alleviate the bumps to my butt, I simply stand on the pedals off road style.

You can blame roads, seat comfort, front or rear suspension, lack of a swinging arm or whatever. It could simply be that the feet forward style maxi scooter isn't the best choice if you have back problems.

Maybe the big wheeled upright riding position, feet flat Honda SH 300, SYM Citicom, Piaggio Beverly type scooter are more suited to back back sufferers.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2018 6:02 am

I think that it's the sitting that actually is causing the problem. One of the theories about spondylosis is that it's caused by prolonged sitting. I have found that long car journeys are less uncomfortable now that I have reclined the seat more to transfer weight from the base of my spine to the backrest. I'm not sure that feet forward makes any difference, it's the upright posture of the spine that cause the lower back trouble .
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2018 12:05 pm

I don't think there are very many comfortable stock seats made. I liked the stock Gold Wing seat (2004). Everything else begins to feel like a 1 x 8 board in about 40 miles.

Silverwingdays has a good suggestion - add a layer. Ill add, I tried a gel seat pad on the 2003 ST1300 and it was not much help.

I had a 1 inch thick shearling wool skin on my Gold Wing and it was cool and comfortable. It was expensive, kind of ugly and if it ever got wet, good luck drying it out.

John has it about right, something to do with experience - get off every now and then and walk around.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
Az Kicker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Az Kicker

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2018 8:27 pm

My riding buddy and I both have Russel Day-Long custom seats on our silverwings and they are amazing. They are expensive (about $1000) but the seat and backrest make 400-600 mile days easy.

The third page of the gallery has some silverwing examples.

I have never regretted spending the money because we take long trips (2000-3000 miles) and comfort becomes a big issue by day 4. When I switched scooters, I just unbolted the seat and moved it.

Just my 2 cents.. or $1000

Back to top Go down
http://AzKicker.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?   How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How deep is the rider's seat foam on a SW?
Page 1 of 1