Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
Edhothersall
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Edhothersall
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-06-29

Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  Empty
PostSubject: Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections    Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi all, my beloved 2008 silverwing has a dodgy starter button so it’s be decided to replace the whole right hand switch cluster- how do I get to the connector below the handlebars and behind the headlight, any ideas welcome, thanks
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections    Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 5:58 pm

IIRC First remove the handlebar covers. Then remove the Windshield Garnish (the W-shaped panel below the windshield). You may also want to remove the right cubby pocket. With that access you should be able to disconnect the switch harness plug. There are also two screws on the underside of the switch & throttle assembly which need to be removed so that the switch separates. Then you may also need to disconnect the throttle cable so the the throttle tube, switch assembly and wire harness can be slid off the handlebar as one piece.

If that doesn't work you'll need to remove the entire Front Cover, i.e. front body.

Have you tried spritzing the start switch contacts with some sort of electrinic contact cleaner?

How to remove the Front Cover video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uv2qyxA-AA

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections    Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Have you checked for clean & tight electrical connections (particularly earth)?

Starter relay takes a heavier load so is more likely to fail than the sspush button switch.

Can you hear the relay clicking ?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections    Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 7:07 am

I believe in simple repairs, at least at first. Spray the switch and gaps around it it with WD-40 or something similiar. Switch should then work. This method always worked for me.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections    Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:59 am

john grinsel wrote:
I believe in simple repairs, at least at first.   Spray the switch and gaps around it it with WD-40 or something similiar.   Switch should then work.   This method always worked for me.

What John says. However, WD-40 could attract dust/dirt. I would use a contact cleaner.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections    Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Sometimes, switches botton or rocker just needs a little lube---contact cleaner not lube. Ride a lot and bottons usually continue to work.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections    Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Was this an introduction from a new member?
Back to top Go down
Edhothersall
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections    Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks all for the info, front headlight removed and new cluster fitted!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections    Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Panel removal to get to right hand cluster connections
Page 1 of 1