Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK

Go down 
+4
JeffR
masscoot
honda_silver
DennisB
8 posters
AuthorMessage

NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Empty
PostSubject: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 2:45 pm

A quick HELLO ALL from Cold and Misty West Yorkshire, UK. After 11 years with a brilliant BMW R1100GS, I bought my SilverSilverWing back in November. Ex-Demo 2009 model with 1K miles on - like new. Done 1200 more miles so far and am loving it!
Up-side : Comfort (1 or 2 up), surprisingly good engine performance, easy twist and go, low c of g, build-quality, sure braking, reasonable luggage capacity.
Down-side : not easy to keep clean (underneath and wheels), less than confidence-inspiring suspension and handling on wintry Yorkshire Pennine roads.
The BM was a hard act to follow, but I'm really looking forward to life in the SilverWing lane.
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Icon_santa Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year to you all NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Icon_santa
Keep Shiney Side Up!
Phillip
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Phil,

Welcome aboard! Glad you decided to join in on the forum.

Alot of great people here and some good information to be found.

Enjoy...
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm

phil hitch wrote:
A quick HELLO ALL from Cold and Misty West Yorkshire, UK.

Brrrr NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Icon_rendeer

phil hitch wrote:
Down-side : not easy to keep clean (underneath and wheels),

Yes ... and watch out for the salt on the roads others have had pitted rims from whatever they put on the roads over there.

phil hitch wrote:
The BM was a hard act to follow, but I'm really looking forward to life in the SilverWing lane.

The HyperPro Progressive Springs would definitely help the front suspension.

The tires could effect the handling ... which tires are you running?
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Welcome Phil,

Thanks for signing up with us NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 8:32 pm

Welcome Phil,

I changed out to the Hyper pro springs and it gives it much more of a motorcycle feeling. I suggest you change them out. I have posted before that I think the mods to do are in this order:

1) Install a larger Windshield
2) Install the Hyper pro springs
3) Install a Power Commander
4) Install a Top Case
5) J. Costa variator or Dr Pulley sliders

Welcome to the site and hope you keep posting. And ask anything you want since there are many have that are very knowledable.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:22 am

Welcome Phil from another resident of the Isle of Angles!!

Your comment regards cleaning reminded me I rode behind a council salt wagon last night!!! NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Icon_evil When I get home this morning I must wash down the beast and ACF50 the wheels!

Enjoy the forum, becoming quite an escape for we British. NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:34 am

Waspie wrote:
When I get home this morning I must wash down the beast and ACF50 the wheels!

What is ACF50??
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:11 am

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/

Google is my friend! NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 am

Hiya Phil, oop north.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Good afternoon and glad to have your input. Will try to share from the Ozarks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 1:30 pm

Hello again gents, a BIG THANKS to ALL of you for your welcome messages and advice. Tyres - Bill, I'm running Bridgestone Hoops (B02/B03) and, as I said not too happy with their grip; will have to decide on replacements in 5K or so?
Handling - Bill and JeffR, the HyperPro Springs sound interesting; can you say how they improve the handling?
Engine/Transmission Performance - DrPulley sliders seem to be well up on the list, how do they actually improve performance?
Windscreen - I'm 5ft 10in and do get noticable buffeting around my helmet above say 60mph. I notice Bill has Clearview, JeffR has Givi, MikeO has Laminar Lip. Lots of choice, but which one should I choose . . . .
Cleaning/Quality of Finish - Waspie, I bought some ACF50 recently and have sprayed it underneath and in those places that maybe dificult to keep clean. After a 100 mile run a few days ago (the Yorkshire/Derbyshire authorities use lots of salt on the hilly country roads) - and not washing the bike down !!! some of the parts not sprayed eg front wheel-spindle, caliper nuts and bolts etc. are nice and furry now. My BMW never needed this level of care so I suppose I was lucky - Lesson learnt.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 am

A tip I had passed on to me regarding ACF50, (anti-corrosion formulae), was to soak a cloth in the stuff, then place it in a airtight bag and keep it with the bike. Simply wipe over wheels or such when bored or in my case waiting for my wife!!!!!!! (shopping).

I thoroughly washed the Wing this morning, dried her off then sprayed ACF50 over all the metal part I could get too, making sure the brake discs were avoided. (I won't be using the bike for a couple of weeks so I took advantage of a nice sunny day, albeit freezing cold)

Another advantage with ACF50, being a light oil, you can spray on a wet machine. Then when the water evaporates it leaves a thin film of the compound behind.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:43 pm

Welcome Phil, of you're ever around Kent way you're welcome to pop in for coffee.

Merry Christmas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks for the tip waspie. Like you I gave the bike a good wash-down on our latest sunny-but-freezing day. I'm sure it'll run better now!
Thanks to you too wingnprayer, I'll get in touch if I'm coming down your way.
NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Icon_santa Merry Christmas to all NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK Icon_santa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK   NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEWBIE JOINING FROM WEST YORKSHIRE UK
Page 1 of 1