Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tailgaters

Go down 
+12
Easyrider
Thebreen
Jim Caudill
ericclapham
cotetoi
john grinsel
Dale N.
Mech 1 twa
bikehiker
oldwingguy
Old Limey
carolina wing rider
16 posters
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2018 11:57 pm

I went out today for a ride and had a really good time most of the day but this afternoon I encountered a rude motorist that insisted on driving uncomfortably close behind me. Driving up close is one thing but this driver was seriously tailgating. I sped up some hoping to put a little distance between us and of course I looked back and there he was...at a higher speed just as close as before. I couldn't think of any other solution but to just turn into a parking lot and let him go on. Another scary thing is that it seems like some people are waiting a moment longer before pulling out in front of me. I think this is "aggressive driving" and it's got me paying more attention than usual. I don't know if any of you have experienced this but be careful..........especially entering a 4 way intersection.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 5:26 am

The way I deal with "tailgater's" just slow down, don't brake just use the engine to slow right down, walking pace if needed. Most idiots want to go fast so they will get frustrated and overtake you and pester someone else.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 am

Move over and slow down and or get of the road and let the idiot go on.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Carolina wing, you did the right thing. Your Swing will stop more quickly than most cars, and that means a tailgater could rear-end you if you happen to brake quickly to avoid an obstruction ahead. Sorry about this obvious information. But a frustrating situation for us two- or three-wheelers.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Thank you folks. Very few safe options in this situation. A "brake check" was out of the question on a Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 7:50 pm

TO many aggressive drivers out there. You don't know their state of mind or if impaired.
It's best to let they go by even if it makes you angry.

3000lb or more VS scooter you always loose.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Agreed. This could not be more true. Talk about an uneasy feeling.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Not to mention keeping a lookout in the mirrors when stopped at a light or stop sign for idiots coming up on you fast. I always try to leave enough room from the vehicle in front of me just in case I have to make some maneuver to get out of the way.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 pm

That is more great advice. Thanks Dale.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am

I just get out of their way--pulling over or whatever---sometimes just a flash of brake light wakes them up. US they just need to wake up----other countries they just want to go faster.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 5:26 pm

I take a more active approach: on a motorcycle I am more aware of my surroundings; not that I doze off in my car !, but I figure it is up to me to keep myself safe as much as possible. I try not to aggravate tailgaters if at all possible. I speed up if there is no way to pass me safely. When I reach a safe zone, ie no oncoming, I wave them on and slow down at the same time.
I keep my lane position if the side of the road is too grassy or rocky, etc. I don't want to go off the road voluntarily. If there are two lanes, I just give them a discreet wave to let them know they can pass. One of my riding buddies pulls over into the rough just to let traffic by: I consider that very dangerous, you never know what kind of peril is waiting for you in the grass. I dropped my 2005 in a soft shoulder, wasn't expecting it and the front tire dug in and down she went.
Tailgaters are very dangerous and aggravating and we all encounter them sooner or later. Best to have a game plan !

Jay.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 5:38 pm

I do what Dale does but also try to always come to a halt at a slight angle - pointing to the left or right of the vehicle directly ahead. This should make you visible in the both the rear and side mirrors and allows an 'escape' path.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 am

ericclapham and cotetoi you both offer very good advice. Thank you both.
Back to top Go down
Jim Caudill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2018-03-02

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 am

I too will pull over, but try to find a good spot such as a convenience store or other "easy in/out" spot. My antique scooter can only run around 50mph and slows down on hills. I try to always have an "out" and plan my ascent to minimize my impact on any traffic. Even when riding my Goldwing, I have encountered these tailgaters, and I pretty much do the same thing as I do on one of my scooters.

One of my worst experiences came when riding my Goldwing with my son-in-law on his Shadow. We were on secondary roads, traveling at around 50mph, when a group of about 4 Harley riders caught up to us and began tailgating. The opportunities to pass weren't much, and they eventually passed us in a very dangerous stretch where oncoming visibility wasn't good. They were probably running near 80mph! Waaay to fast on those roads!
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 am

Thank you for sharing Jim. We all need to be on guard to protect ourselves when these things happen.
Back to top Go down
Thebreen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 am

I find i often have to cough up a bunch of phlegm when i am being "tailgated" chickendance elephant
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 am

L O L ..........good one Thebreen. Thanks for the laugh.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm

If other bikes want to pass move to the edge of road not the shoulder and wave them by. Plenty of room in the same lane for them to pass safely. Most bikers don't follow this rule hog the whole lane and its difficult to pass on some roads.
Some people just don't like being passed personal space etc. HD crowd is more of an attitude thing. BAD ASS BIKERS. I call them rolling road blocks. 5-6 staggered and spaced out no way to pass on a SW. Yamaha FJR is another thing. 60-90 count to 3 BYE.

Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 pm

I've never really had any problems with being tailgated by other bikes...it is the cars and minivans that like to target me and I run at least the speed limit. That being said you offer good advice. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 1:38 am

Just a word of caution, newer cars with auto drive assist are having problems seeing motorcycles/scooters on the road ahead. Especially if you drive more than three feet on either side of your lane center. The vehicle behind you may run you over if it is traveling at a faster speed than you. Owners are not reading their owners manual that states they need to keep both hands on the wheel even when in automatic driving mode. Be safe while out there.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Its not allowed over in the uk, but on your side of the pond can't you rig up a rear facing canon?
Besides solving the initial problem the recoil should get you out of the way of any repercussions.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 3:14 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
Its not allowed over in the uk, but on your side of the pond can't you rig up a rear facing canon?
Besides solving the initial problem the recoil should get you out of the way of any repercussions.

Copied this from RevZilla.
On July 27, 2016, a Norwegian motorcyclist was out riding, minding her own business, on Norway’s busy A18 freeway near the city of Drammen. She was rear-ended by a guy “driving” a Tesla Model S. Although she survived the crash, she was seriously injured. I use the sneer quotes on the word “driving” because while the driver was behind the wheel, his Tesla was in Autopilot mode. The car’s sensors and software failed to identify the woman on her motorcycle as something it should slow down for or avoid.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Not only not see the smaller bikes ect. they " loose " the road, I tried out a new RAV4 Hybrid with " lane assist " if the magic camera looses the white lines it gets lost period BTDT, also on a 4 lane hiway with a gentle curve, it will correct if there is a line but it's not long before it started to over correct. The other real catch? what does it do on a snow covered road ? where it's one big white line. The concept is fantastic in real world conditions they still have a long way to go.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 7:33 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Not only not see the smaller bikes ect. they " loose " the road, I tried out a new RAV4 Hybrid with " lane assist " if the magic camera looses the white lines it gets lost period BTDT, also on a 4 lane hiway with a gentle curve, it will correct if there is a line but it's not long before it started to over correct. The other real catch? what does it do on a snow covered road ? where it's one big white line. The concept is fantastic in real world conditions they still have a long way to go.

New Tech. stuff is Ok at most times. Lane Assist sucks. It keeps trying to correct for normal road curves.
Auto braking uses radar or lasers to judge distance from vehicle in front. Snow sticking to parts causes problems.
Minor fender bender can damage this stuff or change its aim piont then big $$$ to repair. Blind spot detection seems like the only thing that works pretty good.

Bigger question does it see us ????? Most likely not or not all the time.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 9:01 pm

I have not thought about the new vehicle technology, thanks for bringing this forward.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 9:53 pm

Blind spot detection seems like the only thing that works pretty good. <<>> To a point yes but I still prefer my spot mirrors over the auto blind spot detector and a head check works best.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2018 11:07 pm

How about bolting a travel mug to the lid of your top box?
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2018 3:19 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2018 8:13 pm

Travel mug on a remote hinge full of 3/4 steel nuts should do it. Fill it with a coffee won't know what fell out till it hits them. Then a quick turn and gas it.

Just move over at a safe spot.

Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 6:25 pm

In times like that I really miss my old 10-wheel dump truck--their seeing that big ol'
pintle hook coming at them alway got their attention...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tailgaters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgaters   Tailgaters I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgaters
Page 1 of 1