Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing Bulletproof engine

Go down 
+11
Greysilver
Mighty Mouse
Mech 1 twa
Dale N.
Toolman
john grinsel
oldwingguy
GHM-PM
carolina wing rider
bikehiker
lloyd193
15 posters
AuthorMessage
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Silverwing Bulletproof engine Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 4:14 pm

I am posting concerning the Durability and longevity of the Silverwing Engine, Operating this engine in the seven or seventy five hundred RPM's has no detrimental effect on the engine.

This engine is built to be operated at these and above RPM figures, It is truly a great and durable engine, Some of the Florida riders operating without windshields run these engines way above their red line, Some have claimed that they can hide the speedo needle.

I do not recommend this, But after servicing these bikes and hearing the performance stories for years and paying close attention to the condition, Compression and oil consumption on the hot Roders machines, I am convinced this is one of the most durable engines available in any Scooter.

Change your oil regularly with a quality product, Replace the coolant regularly and do not overheat this engine, It will provide you years of exceptional service at any throttle setting you choose.

I recommend a valve adjust by at least Forty thousand on these high output engines.

Happy high way motoring
Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 5:17 pm

I love to hear this stuff!
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Yep..........me too. Somehow confidence is restored. Thank you for years of experience and your willing to share Lloyd.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 8:05 pm

bikehiker wrote:
I love to hear this stuff!

Recently before the weather turned cold here in the south, I made a quick trip up to Memphis Tennessee to get a great barbecue sandwich, Actually I had some other business there, But really enjoyed the barbecue.

I decided to take the Silverwing, Because all I needed was a change of clothes, Plenty of room for that. The 04 ABS I took up has no Top trunk, Only Hub lights, Added Post office tail light, Air Horns, Throttle lock and a 214 Givi Screen, Air hawk butt saver. No K&N air filter, I use stock paper only in my machines.

It is about eight hundred miles to Memphis from Orlando, Once the engine had warmed up I had reached the Florida Turnpike, Put the tack on 7,500 or about that RPM.

Ten and a half hours later I passed the Memphis City Limit sign inbound. Completed my business the next day and turned round headed back to Florida, That took eleven hours because I stopped for Dinner.

Checked the oil the next day and added 6 ounces to reach the full mark. Wonderful Scooter, Most owners have no idea the real potential of these bikes because they are reluctant to twist that throttle.

About twenty two hours at 7,500 Rpm sometime Higher when I could see far ahead, Bullet proof engine, Great Scooter. It seems almost unfair to call a Silverwing a Scooter.

I do not recommend these speeds if you do not run Bridgestone Speed rated tires at 30 front and 35 rear cold, Properly balanced.

Happy motoring
Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

...and more confidence in this machine. I have always been conservative about high RPMs because I always felt I would break my motors too quickly, thinking that RPMs are like heartbeats: you only get a finite number before you die. Well, now I think this old fart will wear out before his Silver Wing, so rev 'em up!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 am

Having owned motorcycles since 1969 (yeah I AM old) I can say that the Silver Wing is an awesome ride. Very smooth and powerful, I love taking off on road trips with the little beast (solo, Goldwing better for two). Since 2012 it has been bulletproof, I have installed tires, plugs, oil and coolant etc. maintenance items. The only item fixed under warranty was a leaking hose clamp near radiator. I would trust this thing to go almost anywhere!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 9:01 am

About twenty two hours at 7,500 Rpm sometime Higher when I could see far ahead, Bullet proof engine, Great Scooter. It seems almost unfair to call a Silverwing a Scooter.

My insurance company feels the same way, they call it what it is a motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 11:38 am

agree on engine. Some years ago, I read article in Japan---running one of their engines hard, does little to shorten its life.

Noodle shops in Japan use step thru C series, Cubs, 50-90CC as delivery machine, they start engine in AM, and let them idle in front of shop all day when not delivering----no problems.....and this is with air cooled 4 strokes. End of life they scrap and buy another, probably cheaper than fixing.
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2016-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 11:16 pm

I tend to keep the r's around 6k on the open road. That's fast enough for me and it helps with mpg. but I agree, these motors are built tough.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 12:27 am

bikehiker wrote:
...and more confidence in this machine.  I have always been conservative about high RPMs because I always felt I would break my motors too quickly, thinking that RPMs are like heartbeats:  you only get a finite number before you die.  Well, now I think this old fart will wear out before his Silver Wing, so rev 'em up!

I think of my SWing as a Hummingbird. Their hearts beat at over 1,200 beats per minute. So, as long as my little hummingbird's heart keeps beating I won't worry.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 7:34 pm

Honda always made great engines. Keep fresh oil in there will last a long time.
Found the top speed today with 26g sliders 106 mph. 8500 rpm's GPS - speedo 105. going down hill had no more.
That's really nothing 600 cc sport bikes rev to 14-15 thousand.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 am

4 years of riding my 2012 Swing and 70 000 happy smiles, I decided to replace her with.....another 2012 Swing! I found one with less than 5 000 miles on the clock, barely run in!

I've made sure to run the old Swing up to max revs only once when I got her (testing her out you understand? LOL). Since then I mostly breeze along at 6000rpm (Dr Pulley sliders) on the open road. Bullet proof she is. I'm delighted to be able to buy another to keep me company for another 5 years.

chickendance

Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 1:28 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
I am posting concerning the Durability and longevity of the Silverwing Engine.

I recommend a valve adjust by at least Forty thousand on these high output engines.

Happy high way motoring
Lloyd 193.

Hi Lloyd, this is way more miles over recommended. It would save a bunch of money though.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: hi tool   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Toolman wrote:
I tend to keep the r's around 6k on the open road. That's fast enough for me and it helps with mpg. but I agree, these motors are built tough.

Hi Toolman, When I cruise its at 6K ( 75mph ) . This is the freeway speed limit in Arizona.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 5:19 pm

I've been a Silverwing owner since 2003 and have been a participant in all Silverwing forums since then as well. I perform my own service and maintenance as well as on SW's owned by two friends during this period. In all that time I don't recall anyone ever posting that they have needed valves adjusted on any SW.

That said, if you feel anxious in not having your valve adjustment checked then by all means please follow up with a competent shop.

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Two new SilverWings, each ridden to almost 50,000 miles each. Never bothered or needed to look at or adjust valves.
Back to top Go down
SilverCellist
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2018-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 am

As a new owner Lloyd, that's most reassuring. I'm getting ready for my first initial oil change and filter on my 2004, and have a strict preference for full synthetic (Mobil 1). Any problems with this choice?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 11:39 am

Why waste money----WalMart house brand 10-40 works fine. Oil changes often are the trick---worked for me the last 500,000 2 wheel miles.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Silverwing Bulletproof engine 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 11:54 am

SilverCellist wrote:
As a new owner Lloyd, that's most reassuring.  I'm getting ready for my first initial oil change and filter on my 2004, and have a strict preference for full synthetic (Mobil 1).  Any problems with this choice?

I advise you to use what you are happy with and what YOU pay for!

Read the posts and pictorials here on oil changes and you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Here's my 2¢: If you are of the John Grinsel persuasion and change oil every ~2500 miles then go with Wal-Mart oil & Filter. The frequent supply of fresh oil will keep your engine happy.

On the other hand; if you appreciate Honda-quality engineering as well as the benefits of modern petrochemical engineering you might want to go with a full synthetic, name brand, oil and a quality oil filter. So if full synth oil claims an 8-10,000 mile change interval IMHO the engine will be better off.

Nothing wrong with frequent oil changes, but if you're not going to follow thru with that then go with the good stuff.

Tim
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 11:07 pm

I use a good quality synthetic or synthetic blend and a high end filter and then run between 5-7K miles prior to changing.  If I have a slow mileage year then once a year works for me. My 2012 has 22K on it and runs fantastic so no valve checks for me at least not yet.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I've been a Silverwing owner since 2003 and have been a participant in all Silverwing forums since then as well. I perform my own service and maintenance as well as on SW's owned by two friends during this period. In all that time I don't recall anyone ever posting that they have needed valves adjusted on any SW.

That said, if you feel anxious in not having your valve adjustment checked then by all means please follow up with a competent shop.

Tim
Smile Hello Cosmic Jumper. Can you please contact me true pm... Thank's Michel
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 am

Michel Vachon wrote:
Hello Cosmic Jumper. Can you please contact me true pm... Thank's Michel

Hello Michel.

I emailed you at your address of record.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Bulletproof engine   Silverwing Bulletproof engine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing Bulletproof engine
Page 1 of 1