Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trike Kit Installed

Go down 
+4
bikerboy
Pastor Ron
cliffyk
docjones
8 posters
AuthorMessage
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-10-12

Trike Kit Installed Empty
PostSubject: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 8:35 pm

Looking at an 04 with a trike kit. Scooter has 3500 miles on it so I guess the trike kit has the same. Perfect condition. I thought I read somewhere they were $5000.00 installed. I don't need or want the trike kit but I sure want this scooter. I'm in North Florida.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Gotta' be the one at Pure Powersports; I saw it the other day. It's a "quike" not a real trike so there will not be a whole lot of demand for it. Real trike kits are in the $5k range, the quike things are $2.5k to $3k.

That's a lot of money for an '04, I paid $3k for my '06 with 9100 miles 1-1/2 years ago, but maybe you can find a buyer for the "not-a-trike" kit.

There was a woman in those Ocean Cay apartments off of Mizell road on the island that had a quike kit on a Burgman 650--she hated it, nothing but problems with the alignment and sold it shortly after adding the training wheel...

Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Right you are cliffyk. Didn't know what they called the kit. I love the color of the scooter. Don't need the kit. Wondering what they are worth. I just bought my wife an 06 Swing and now I have to have one. My Burgman 400 isn't cutting it after riding the Swing. We got hers in Charlotte NC about two weeks ago. It had 966 miles on the clock and we paid $3500.00 plus travel. She wanted the Blue and I want the Red Raspberry or Candy Wine Berry. Our last scooters. We need to get together sometime. We are just up here in Jacksonville. Headed down your way tomorrow to check out the Swing. Thanks for the info. Tom
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 pm

The trike kit you are talking about is dangerous.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 3:44 pm

A trike kit can be onstalled at any time, so, it may not be as old as the bike, a new tow pac kit is around 1800.00, however, yours may not be that kind. Do some homework on line BEFORE YOU BUY to see what kind of kit it is and how much you can get for it used.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm

TowPac "Insta-trike", that's the name I was trying to remember--IMHO, POS...
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Hello Gentlemen, Pastor Ron, what makes that trike kit so dangerous? I saw yours and yes it's gorgues but keep in mind I want to buy the scooter and sell the trike kit. Next question is, Should I start on this site? The Silverwing forum? Maybe Craigslist nation wide.

Is that the name of the Kit cliffyk? We went down there today and I crawled all over that scooter and couldn't find a name on the trike kit. That Swing sure is in good shape. Did you see all that chrome? That must be some kind of chrome guard kit. The salesmen said he'd never seen anything like it. I'd take at least half of it off. The salesmen was surprised you (cliffy) knew so much about the trike because they just got it yesterday on consignment. Apparently it belongs to an 82 year old gentlemen somewhere in the vicinity. Take care and thanks for the input you two.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 2:05 pm

The most dangerous part is the wheel opposit of your turn will usually come off the ground during turn....and poor guality...IMO
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Inside wheel lifting on turns is common to all three wheelers, the faster you turn the more it lifts ! My motortrike conversion has independent rear suspension to minimise lifting but even so I have to hang on tight . I suspect that the rigid rear axle ones will be worse, it's all about the speed.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 7:48 pm

True I suppose it all depends on speed, however with my MotorTrike kit my wheels have never raised off the ground.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 12:38 am

I get my SWing back this week with the Motor Trike kit and 4.5 rake kit on it this week. The weather is supposed to be half nice one or two days this week too so maybe I'll be at least able to take it around town to get used to it a bit.

CAN'T WAIT!!!
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 pm

I can't wait to see your first post
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 pm

docjones wrote:
Hello Gentlemen, Pastor Ron, what makes that trike kit so dangerous? I saw yours and yes it's gorgues but keep in mind I want to buy the scooter and sell the trike kit. Next question is, Should I start on this site? The Silverwing forum? Maybe Craigslist nation wide.

Is that the name of the Kit cliffyk? We went down there today and I crawled all over that scooter and couldn't find a name on the trike kit. That Swing sure is in good shape. Did you see all that chrome? That must be some kind of chrome guard kit. The salesmen said he'd never seen anything like it. I'd take at least half of it off. The salesmen was surprised you (cliffy) knew so much about the trike because they just got it yesterday on consignment. Apparently it belongs to an 82 year old gentlemen somewhere in the vicinity. Take care and thanks for the input you two.

Bear with me on this; we were on a trip this weekend, got back this afternoon, and as I no longer travel well it takes me a while to "unwind"--so this has some elements of a semi-deranged rant--be forewarned.

I had seen that scooter around Saint Augustine a few times last year, and had spoken to the fellow that rode it a couple times at a gas station and Home Depot IIRC. Hadn't seen it in a while and then it popped up on Craigslist last Friday.

Tow Pac traiining wheels:

I am not as convinced the Tow-Pac Insta Trike is as exponentially unsafe as others seem, however it remains not a trike but rather a bolt-on set of outboard bogie wheels--widely disparaged during Bikeweek as "training wheels". Nonetheless it remains at least as inherently unsafe as any add-on thingy that alters the original design of the vehicle; with a bit of unsafe added due to its odd-ball and marginally engineered (IMHO) approach to addressing the fundamental instability of two-wheeled vehicles.

A few years back during Biketoberfest I saw some poor soul on a Tow Pac equipped Harley hung up in the parking lot at the White Eagle on US1 in Bunnell, in a good sized puddle with the training wheels straddling the water and the drive wheel high and dry just spinning away. A few other "patrons" pushed him through, but the hapless slob was reduced to the stature of a munchkin before he got out of there.

Residual value:

My point here is that I do not believe a used Silver Wing Insta Trike kit (they are 50 to 70% target bike specific), is going to be a hot item that will jump of the shelf. I could be wrong on this, but if someone were to offer me one for free I would decline as I have enough worthless crap in my barn as it.

People buy things because they need it, or want it, with these motivations being on a continuum where one can need something so badly they "want" it, and conversely want something so badly they "need" it. The key to selling anything is to make potential buyers need or want it--the key components of the dance being the buyer's perceived value and cost to him.

Bottomline: I do not believe there are an especially large number of potential buyers for a used set of Silver Wing training wheels...

Trikes in general:

In full disclosure I am not a big fan of trikes in the first. This undoubtedly because of the silly VW powered thing my brother had 35 years ago, a Beetle rear-end welded to a 45 inĀ³ Korean War surplus Harley front-end. That experience aside and though I truly do believe modern trikes have come a long way from then when the time comes I can no longer handle two-wheels I'll probably buy a nice older Miata, put the top up when it rains and the AC on when it's hot...
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 am

Interesting about Trikes lifting a wheel, the only lifting I've seen were on sidecars. I've ridden solid and independent axle G'Wings and strongly preferred the independent. Can you get a wheel up, heck yes, seen a big tipper doing a trike course, driver error there.
IF I were to go to a three wheeler it would be a Spyder but that won't happen until I can't ride my S'Wing. I've had the Tow Pac G'Wings come up our gravel lane and can see some potential problems in uneven terrain
Back to top Go down
kupid
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2020-01-01

PostSubject: Trike kit   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 6:14 pm

I will put in my .02 cents worth I bought an 04 Sw in June last year and it has a Tow-Pac trike kit. I'm not an over the road rider just ride in winter time with winter Texans. To hot here in summer for me to ride. This is the second one I have owned first one I couldnt get it to ride right so I sold it.I had some issues with this 04 called Tow-Pac an talked to there mechanic he gave me some instructions and adjustments to make and it rides really great for me. I will soon be 82 and I really like my SW with tow-pac kit I can get my wheels off the ground but so far has caused no problems for me. I have had this bike up to 80 mph with no problems what so ever. The lady that bought my first trike said she would only ride in town an didnt think she would have trouble with the trike kit. I paid $3999. for my SW with 9000 miles

kupid
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 10:53 am

My wife had a Tow-Pac kit installed on a Genuine Buddy 125. Nothing but problems. Terrible quality and poor customer support was what we got out of the Tow-Pac experience. Ended up pulling the kit off and giving it away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trike Kit Installed   Trike Kit Installed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trike Kit Installed
Page 1 of 1