Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tyre pressures

Go down 
+14
The Bern
Hondafreak
john grinsel
lloyd193
micbusathens
MikeO
Jolly Bodger
Dale N.
Meldrew
Scootypuff Snr
Smaug
steve_h80
dekare
Silverwingdays
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2017-06-05

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi I tend to put 36 in the rear and 30 in the Silverwing when solo but I see on the label on the bike it says only 33 solofor the rear and 29 for the front.

I suppose we are all different sizes and weights but can it really cope with 33 in the rear with a 200 or so pound bloke on ? as many of us are I`m sure.

Best SWD
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 7:42 pm

SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:

Hi I tend to put 36 in the rear and 30 in the Silverwing when solo but I see on the label on the bike it says only 33 solofor the rear and 29 for the front.

I suppose we are all different sizes and weights but can it really cope with 33 in the rear with a 200 or so pound bloke on ? as many of us are I`m sure.

Best SWD

I'm a Mother Honda fan. As a result I go by the book on my tire pressures. I figure somewhere Honda is paying a very large salary to someone with a lot more education than I have to keep Honda out of class action lawsuits. By golly if they specify a pressure, that's what I'm going with. I'm not about to arm chair quarterback their decisions.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Well I`m with you there but a bloke can weigh anything from 10 or so stone to 25 + even.

I`m 15 and a 1/2 ( probaply 16 in helmet etc ) so will try the 33 this next week and see how it feels.

Best SWD.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 2:48 pm

I wouldn't fret sbout it too much. Mine stays at 36 for two up use but I can't be bothered dropping it for the odd solo run. But I do adjust the rear shocks cos I can feel the difference.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 4:55 pm

I adjusted the rear shocks down to 2 ( one up ) to see if it would absorb bad bumps more, it did`nt really, but felt really unsafe etc.

Back up to 4, harder but at 215 lbs feels much safer/better.

I might take the air down to 33 one up to see if its any better on the back roads. But I`m pretty sure that might be a bit low for me.

Best SWD
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am

My advice is to follow the manual, unless you a re REALLY big. (and 200 lbs. isn't)

A little background behind my opinion:

In 2009 I crashed on my KLR 650. I was running +5 psi over the spec'd tire pressures and crashed because I lost traction in a turn. It just let loose, all at once, quick as a blink.

I was scraping my pegs pretty hard so it MAY not have been the tire pressure. But I have my doubts.

Add to that the fact that you'll wear a flat spot out of the center of the tire faster by running higher pressure. Lower pressure = bigger contact patch. Also, more heat, but if it's within spec, go with the bigger contact patch.

I go the other way from steve_h80: I leave it at the recommended solo pressure, even when I do the odd 2-up ride. (seems like he's 2-up often enough to leave it at the higher pressure)
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Aren't tyre pressures subjective to the equipment used to inflate and measure.
Years ago they slated garage forecourt machines for inaccuracy (think little has changed)
I use a simple pressure bar and cheap air pump and believe it's as accurate as I can get.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 3:14 pm

There is that Scootypuff, gauges canbe notoriously inaccurate. I have a single gauge that I use to ensure consistency and avoid garage machines if at all possible.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 4:20 pm

I've never seen the point of using a garage/filling station to use the air lines. You're putting heat in the tyres on the ride there so there's bound to be inaccuracy in any tyre pressure checks you make inflating them.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 pm

When I check my tire pressure it's been sitting in the garage. I use the same gauge to check them with all the time. I figure that any gauge can be off by a pound or two so that's why I use the same one all the time. At least this way the tire pressure is constant even if the gauge is a pound or two off.

I never check it after I've been riding for any length of time due to heat in the tire making the pressure go up.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 10:01 am

Reading this, I thought to myself - "it's a while since I last checked my tyre pressure"

Rear 28 psi
Front 20 psi

Oops - now back to 35 and 29

Don' know how long they've been that low but I'll make sure I check again before next ride

JB
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm

I have a rather tasty electric pump on which I can pre-set the pressure; it switches off when the tyre is at that pressure.
It can be set in Bars, ft/lbs and something else I can't remember.

My COPD prevents me doing anything too strenuous so it's a god-send.

I also have a flexible extension which makes connecting pump to valve so much easier.
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 4:10 pm

35  38 for me.More stable,better braking,lighter handlebars, less cosumption,worse feel in bumpy roads though.Try it ,the improvement is amazing.All my vechicles have higher pressure than suggested
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 4:54 pm

I've had no problems whatsoever since buying my Silver Wing using the recommended tyre pressures and suspension settings for a solo rider. They work for me all year round whatever the weather conditions and whatever road surface I have to ride on. I also use the recommended tyre and suspension setting for carrying a passenger, they work fine and Mrs M has no complaints.

Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 am

SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:

Best SWD

Fully inflated tires increase wet weather traction, Under-Inflated tires decrease wet weather traction.

A hard small foot print with its higher pounds per sq. inch pressure forces out the water allowing contact with the road surface, A soft large footprint does not force the water out and does not allow road contact, Result Hydroplaning.

Safe wet weather operation is an art, Requiring practice and experience, Also running hi pressure in your tires. Never mind the belief of some that hi tire pressure wears out the center of the tire faster.

I prefer buying Tires more often than waiting for the road rash on my Butt to heal.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193. swing

Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 7:30 pm

micbusathens wrote:
35  38 for me.More stable,better braking,lighter handlebars, less cosumption,worse feel in bumpy roads though.Try it ,the improvement is amazing.All my vechicles have higher pressure than suggested

Micbustathens, You are absolutely correct, 35 front 40 rear cold, Absolutely best pressure with a 240 pound rider. These light weight guys can get by a pound or two less. A half million miles on silver wings with Bridgestone Hoop tires does not leave any doubt. Tires at these pressures do not cup, Get out of round, Do not require rebalancing, Handle superbly and do not shake.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Who has ridden a SilverWing half a million miles? I stick with Honda recommended pressures and have no trouble---Note: Michelin Power Pure SC tire is rated max capacity at 33 psi...I tend to run with that with the Michelin on rear. As to Bridgestone scooter tires....I try to stay away from them...had 1 failure on Helix, 3 on ReFlex....all rear. My bikes are not overloaded My first SilverWing came with Hoops, don't remember anything special about them, but didn't buy them as replacements.
Back to top Go down
Hondafreak
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2016-04-15

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Look at your tire sidewall and see max pressure listed for that tire. Something a little under that will work. Most mc tires list max at 44 I use 41-42 psi for rear and 38-39 front.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 10:34 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Who has ridden a SilverWing half a million miles?   I stick with Honda recommended pressures and have no trouble---Note: Michelin Power Pure SC tire is rated max capacity at 33 psi...I tend to run with that with the Michelin on rear.  As to Bridgestone scooter tires....I try to stay away from them...had 1 failure on Helix, 3 on ReFlex....all rear.  My bikes are not overloaded  My first SilverWing came with Hoops, don't remember anything special about them, but didn't buy them as replacements.

Hi John, I have put more than 500,000 miles on the 15 Silverwings I have owned, In the last 16 years. All have been equipped with Bridgestone Hoop tires, It has been my experience after installing about 1,000 Scooter tires that Bridgestone has no equal, Some people will not pay the price to have the best tires, They prefer to spend less. Today I own 16 Motor scooters mostly Honda and have owned and rebuilt bikes for more than 60 years, I am not some newbie posting on this sight.

Lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 5:13 am

I get a kick out of this tire pressure thing. The PSI number written on side of tire==at what pressure the tire has its maximum load capacity, not its max. pressure.

SilverWing rides hard in best conditions---so I think, why make it worse by running higher than Honda recommened pressures.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 am

lloyd193 wrote:

Fully inflated tires increase wet weather traction, Under-Inflated tires decrease wet weather traction.

A hard small foot print with its higher pounds per sq. inch pressure forces out the water allowing contact with the road surface, A soft large footprint does not force the water out and does not allow road contact, Result Hydroplaning.

You're wrong bud, hydroplaning is not caused by over or under inflated tyres, it's caused by water pressure that happens between the road surface & the tyre surface, it occurs when the tyre cannot clear the water fast enough, which is caused by, going too fast, worn tyre tread, or a combination of both.
Even with totally worn treads you can avoid hydroplaning by going slow enough for the weight of the vehicle to displace the water under the tyres.

Secondly, for our UK readers, the construction & use regulations require ....

"Tyres must be suitable (of the correct type and size) for the use to which the vehicle is being put, and must be inflated to the vehicle or tyre manufacturers’ recommended pressures."

The police &/or VOSA can (& do) check tyre pressures (generally in the event of an accident) so think on before overinflating them as has been reccomended by some members ...

"The penalties for offences related to the use of faulty tyres on vehicles can be quite severe."  ..... // ..... "for every offence there is a fine at level 4 of the standard scale with discretionary disqualification and compulsory driving licence endorsement with 3 penalty points." .... // .... "Level 4 is currently £2500 and each faulty tyre is considered as a separate offence."

From the above you can deduce that a) correct tyre inflation is tacken seriously b) a bad day could suddenly get a whole lot worse (particularly if the policeman is low on ticket handouts)
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 am

The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

You're wrong bud, hydroplaning is not caused by over or under inflated tyres, it's caused by water pressure that happens between the road surface & the tyre surface, it occurs when the tyre cannot clear the water fast enough, which is caused by, going too fast, worn tyre tread, or a combination of both.
Even with totally worn treads you can avoid hydroplaning by going slow enough for the weight of the vehicle to displace the water under the tyres.

Secondly, for our UK readers, the construction & use regulations require ....

"Tyres must be suitable (of the correct type and size) for the use to which the vehicle is being put, and must be inflated to the vehicle or tyre manufacturers’ recommended pressures."

The police &/or VOSA can (& do) check tyre pressures (generally in the event of an accident) so think on before overinflating them as has been reccomended by some members ...

"The penalties for offences related to the use of faulty tyres on vehicles can be quite severe."  ..... // ..... "for every offence there is a fine at level 4 of the standard scale with discretionary disqualification and compulsory driving licence endorsement with 3 penalty points." .... // .... "Level 4 is currently £2500 and each faulty tyre is considered as a separate offence."

From the above you can deduce that a) correct tyre inflation is tacken seriously b) a bad day could suddenly get a whole lot worse (particularly if the policeman is low on ticket handouts)[/quote

Bud, You should re take your Physics Classes! More comments from over yonder.

Lloyd193
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Nah, don't think so bud, apparently ..................

"The term hydroplaning is commonly used to refer to the skidding or sliding of a cars tires across a wet surface. Hydroplaning occurs when a tire encounters more water than it can scatter. Water pressure in the front of the wheel pushes water under the tire, and the tire is then separated from the road surface by a thin film of water and loses traction. The result is loss of steering, braking and power control."

That is a comment from your side of the pond, taken from ... http://www.safemotorist.com/articles/Hydroplaning_Basics.aspx ...  Please note well, that, that page is ...... Presented by the American Safety Council, maybe they are better educated than your physics teacher

Also please note ....

How do I Avoid Hydroplaning?

The following are important tips to avoid hydroplaning:

1. Keep your tires properly inflated

...... NOT overinflated or underinflated, properly, I read as vehicle manufacturers specification
Back to top Go down
greenspam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-08-17

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:28 pm

just go with the recommended tire pressure for original tires and follow the manufacturer's recommendation if you switch tire brand.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 4:54 pm

The Bern wrote:
Nah, don't think so bud, apparently ..................

"The term hydroplaning is commonly used to refer to the skidding or sliding of a cars tires across a wet surface. Hydroplaning occurs when a tire encounters more water than it can scatter. Water pressure in the front of the wheel pushes water under the tire, and the tire is then separated from the road surface by a thin film of water and loses traction. The result is loss of steering, braking and power control."

That is a comment from your side of the pond, taken from ... http://www.safemotorist.com/articles/Hydroplaning_Basics.aspx ...  Please note well, that, that page is ...... Presented by the American Safety Council, maybe they are better educated than your physics teacher

Also please note ....

How do I Avoid Hydroplaning?

The following are important tips to avoid hydroplaning:

1. Keep your tires properly inflated

...... NOT overinflated or underinflated, properly, I read as vehicle manufacturers specification

The Bern, I have given you information learned from 65 years of motorcycle-motorscooter experience and maintenance, If you choose to ignore my information, Join your associates over yonder.

Lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 pm

But in US we really have no safety rules/Inspections on what you can do/modify to your bike--- and there is lots of junk running around. I spent over 40 years overseas and really see the sense in EU/UK/Japan rules on bike/tire pressures, etc Also have BSc Safety degree/worked with military motorcycle/operator issues for over 40 years. Hydro Planing as operator=not fun,,,,at least twice it almost got me....Iowa, SR500, caused me to cross 2 lanes with no control, Knoxville TN, Helix, deep ridges/heavy rain--survived upright. Germany posts roads with standing water possibility at 80kph/50mph about the speed where danger starts. Too fast for conditions can get you.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 5:30 pm

As you claim you've owned 15 Silver Wings and clocked up 500,000 miles on them in the last 16 years, have you ever thought of taking it up with Honda that the tyre pressure information printed in the Silver Wing Owners Handbook and the Factory Service Manual are so obviously incorrect and misleading? Or contacted Bridgestone and IRC informing them that Silver Wing riders are riding round on their tyres under inflated.

You've obviously clocked up more miles than the original Honda Development Engineers and Test Riders, the equivalent to riding round the world a few times, and you're 200,000 miles ahead of Mr Grinsel on maxi mileage given he had a ten year start.

All this knowledge and experience, yet it's taken you 16 years to find this website.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 pm

lloyd193 wrote:

The Bern, I have given you information learned from 65 years of motorcycle-motorscooter experience and maintenance, If you choose to ignore my information, Join your associates over yonder.

So basically nothing you have written thus far can be substanciated from any official source, tbh I couldn't give a flying one how long you have been riding or how many miles you think you have travelled, please stop trying to pass off your opinion as scientific fact when clearly it is not.

What exactly do you mean by .............. "Join your associates over yonder." ...??
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 7:14 pm

The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

So basically nothing you have written thus far can be substanciated from any official source, tbh I couldn't give a flying one how long you have been riding or how many miles you think you have travelled, please stop trying to pass off your opinion as scientific fact when clearly it is not.

What exactly do you mean by .............. "Join your associates over yonder." ...??

The Bern, Even your Avatar is Silverwing incorrect.

Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Smaug wrote:
My advice is to follow the manual, unless you a re REALLY big. (and 200 lbs. isn't)

A little background behind my opinion:

In 2009 I crashed on my KLR 650. I was running +5 psi over the spec'd tire pressures and crashed because I lost traction in a turn. It just let loose, all at once, quick as a blink.

I was scraping my pegs pretty hard so it  MAY not have been the tire pressure. But I have my doubts.

Add to that the fact that you'll wear a flat spot out of the center of the tire faster by running higher pressure. Lower pressure = bigger contact patch. Also, more heat, but if it's within spec, go with the bigger contact patch.

I go the other way from steve_h80: I leave it at the recommended solo pressure, even when I do the odd 2-up ride. (seems like he's 2-up often enough to leave it at the higher pressure)

Smaug, you are correct. I am a conservative rider, and go for reasonable speed and high MPG. But my high tire pressures for high MPG backfired on me. I had a slow speed spill on my BMW F800 ST that happened exactly as you describe yours. I felt like I hit wet glass while riding downhill on a blacktop country road that had some residual slime from the previous day's rain. I tired to analyze the cause and found the following:
1. Speed was not the issue (about 25 MPH)
2. Too much pull on the front brake, even on a mild turn. (pilot error)
3. Tire pressures way too high: about 50 in the back and about 40+ in the front.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 10:30 pm

I have been reading this topic, as have the other mods, and I feel I need to chime in on this topic. Everyone can post how they view the topic of 'air pressure', but for safety reasons, we "Mods" want to impress on everyone that the Tire manufactures psi should be taken seriously. .

If anyone decides to 'not follow the tire makers' recommendations, please do not hold this site responsible. We just don't want 'new riders' to follow the wrong recommendations and then something happens to them. Safety is very important to the majority of us on this site.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 5:54 am

lloyd193 wrote:
The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: Oh dear, cannot find fault in my writing, results to finding fault in my avatar, gosh I'm upset, that was really hurtful :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 5:57 am

JeffR wrote:
 Safety is very important to the majority of us on this site.

applause Well said Jeff applause
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 am

lloyd193 wrote:

So is that Silver Wing Emoticon of yours mate, the mirrors are missing. Did you swap them for a cup holder?   Smile
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 9:46 am

Meldrew wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

So is that Silver Wing Emoticon of yours mate, the mirrors are missing. Did you swap them for a cup holder?   Smile

You British Blokes really do become Emotional over how much pressure should be in your tires.

Lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 am

Lloyd

I've assigned you the Silverwing image as an avatar. You can please stop adding the Silverwing image to the sig line of your posts. It does tend to eat into the (costly) bandwidth of the forum.

If you'd rather not have that avatar please let me know and it will be removed

Tim
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Wow, this thread is almost as entertaining as a darkside thread alien
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Meldrew wrote:
As you claim you've owned 15 Silver Wings and clocked up 500,000 miles on them in the last 16 years, have you ever thought of taking it up with Honda that the tyre pressure information printed in the Silver Wing Owners Handbook and the Factory Service Manual are so obviously incorrect and misleading? Or contacted Bridgestone and IRC informing them that Silver Wing riders are riding round on their tyres under inflated.

You've obviously clocked up more miles than the original Honda Development Engineers and Test Riders, the equivalent to riding round the world a few times, and you're  200,000 miles ahead of Mr Grinsel on maxi mileage given he had a ten year start.

All this knowledge and experience, yet it's taken you 16 years to find this website.

Mildew, Thanks I have only had time recently for Comic relief.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 4:09 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
Wow, this thread is almost as entertaining as a darkside thread alien

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't mention darkside, I did once but I think I got away with it Wink
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 4:40 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
Mildew, Thanks I have only had time recently for Comic relief.

Mildew! You think that's original? You're the tenth person to say that since 2011. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 pm

dekare wrote:
SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:

Best SWD

I'm a Mother Honda fan. As a result I go by the book on my tire pressures. I figure somewhere Honda is paying a very large salary to someone with a lot more education than I have to keep Honda out of class action lawsuits. By golly if they specify a pressure, that's what I'm going with. I'm not about to arm chair quarterback their decisions.

Honda does not manufacture any tires, The tire pressure stated by Honda is a starting point. Using Bridgestone tires the best pressure cold is 35 Front 40 Rear. We are talking a 550 pound bike 200 pound rider and with a passenger a 1000 pound load on your tires.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 4:31 am

lloyd193 wrote:
dekare wrote:
SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:

Best SWD

Honda does not manufacture any tires, The tire pressure stated by Honda is a starting point. Using Bridgestone tires the best pressure cold is 35 Front 40 Rear. We are talking a 550 pound bike 200 pound rider and with a passenger a 1000 pound load on your tires.

And still he continues, you lost this one at the top of the page bud, just to remind you .....

The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

As far as I can see since those post, all you have managed to do is attempt to take the piss out of an avatar & a member name, :lol!: :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 5:37 am

Show some respect bud, he's 77 and has 65 years of motorcycle and motorcycle experience. He's also owned 15 Silver Wings, and despite fitting hundreds of new tyres, needed someone to install an avatar for him.

I'm quite intrigued as to what a 12 year old boy would be legally allowed to be ride on US roads way back in 1951.  The stock go to fib and get out clause 'over yonder' is to say it was on a farm or ranch land on an old Cushman scooter. A variation on the Cushman theme is an old barn find Indian, an ex WW 2 Harley, or whatever bike that Jim Bob in 'The Waltons' TV series use to ride.

There's not a lot of forum cred saying it was actually one of those Schwinn push bikes that they used to advertise in the 1950’s American comics. Smile
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 am

Meldrew wrote:
Show some respect bud, he's 77 and has 65 years of motorcycle and motorcycle experience. He's also owned 15 Silver Wings, and despite fitting hundreds of new tyres, needed someone to install an avatar for him.

I'm quite intrigued as to what a 12 year old boy would be legally allowed to be ride on US roads way back in 1951.  The stock go to fib and get out clause 'over yonder' is to say it was on a farm or ranch land on an old Cushman scooter. A variation on the Cushman theme is an old barn find Indian, an ex WW 2 Harley, or whatever bike that Jim Bob in 'The Waltons' TV series use to ride.

There's not a lot of forum cred saying it was actually one of those Schwinn push bikes that they used to advertise in the 1950’s American comics. Smile

Hi Mildew, No it was a used Whizzer sold by Auto Lec Auto supply stores, I bought it in cardboard boxes and reassembled it for use on my first newspaper route. I wasn't able to buy my first Cushman Highlander until I was 12 the following year. I was forced to operate illegally until my Civil Air Patrol Identification papers arrived, At that time CAP was a United States Air Force Auxiliary and my ID served as my drivers license. Once I had my Pilot License and my Chief Master Sargent Stripes accompanied by USAF certificate of proficiency with Nathan Twining's letter and signature at 13 and had accumulated about 600 hours by 14, The cops were too embarrassed to question me again, Since I had moved up to my Cushman Eagle with its Aircraft landing headlight and had acquired the Evening Newspaper route to go along with my morning route. At that time I had more money in my pocket than most grown ups, I have been blessed by the Lord Jesus my entire life and have been given knowledge, Ability and huge success. Many have shown contempt and jealousy for my lifelong accomplishments, I simply ignore them and continue moving ahead helping all who will accept my help.

Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 am

lloyd193 wrote:
Once I had my Pilot License and my Chief Master Sargent Stripes accompanied by USAF certificate of proficiency with Nathan Twining's letter and signature at 13  

So if my math's are right (2017-77+13) you got your Chief Master Sargent Stripes in 1953 ?

Last edited by The Bern on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 9:59 am

How could you have had chief master sgt stripes at 12?-----the rank did not come along until 1959.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am

Similar thought to me John, a quick search reveals ....

"By LAW, one must have ten years enlisted service to be promoted to E-9 in any of the armed forces. By regulation (Air Force Instruction 36-2502), the Air Force requires a minimum of 14 years service (thus going beyond the law).

Since one cannot legally enlist before one's 17th birthday, one could not legally be a CMSgt before age 27...but the AFI makes the person wait until at least age 31.
Source(s): MSgt, USAF (Retired)
Judge Advocate General's Corps "

Taken from a discussion here .... https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071023085054AAboxeI
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 10:23 am

Now that everyone has made their off-topic point; no win or lose.

Topic locked.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tyre pressures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre pressures   Tyre pressures I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tyre pressures
Page 1 of 1