Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

getting closer to buying new bike

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

getting closer to buying new bike Empty
PostSubject: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2017 9:41 am

As the miles pile up on my 2013 SilverWing....I getting older -78 and not liking heavy unbalanced at slow speeds.....on some of the country roads I make U turns on, going to make decision on new bike scooter......in market for me are not many interesting, tough, simple bikes,scooters.

I need ability to carry junk/dog----so I have looked at Honda PCX150---which surely has the performance of my 150 or 200 2 stroke Vespas, space for dog in hump bag. New Vespa is out=too expensive and no good dealer network.

Another possibility is another Suzuki TU250---liked first one, except for no centerstand, bike is light, no plastic to take off to work on, etc. Have found portable prop stand so chain oiling easier. At least two luggage racks are available----will probably try Bestem top box this time as they are lighter than my Givi.

Used my first on several long trips---over 1,000 miles=ok. Rubber hinged foot pegs a little mickey mouse---but for $23 got smaller diameter metal pegs from Dennis Kirk. Windshield will try National Cycle Street Shield EX this time, adding spoiler if necessary....I prefer open face 3/4 helmet with long duck bill and of course safety glasses.

At 50,000 miles my SilverWing will be available for some one who needs one with bugs worked out.

SR400 Yamaha is another possibility---Hepco & Becker rear rack and hard bags available----National Cycle big fairing fits---But this thing represents at least $75-8000 to buy set up and little used value when I am done with it. Had new SR500 so know what to expect. Kick starting ok with me.

Stay tuned----Southern Honda in Chattanooga still have new left over SilverWings on the floor......but do not want a third new one. As I age do not need heavy (550 lbs bike) and prefer the fine control of clutch lever/gas/rear brake coordination. SilverWing has gotten too heavy for me to put up on lift alone--safely
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2017 5:41 pm

John,

Have you thought about the Suzuki Burgman 200cc? I hear they are pretty nice and comfortable. Also, Honda has a new Rebel 300cc that may be good for you and they have electric start. Good luck with your search. It is too bad that we aren't able to get the scooters that they get across the pond.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Burgman200 is Kymco.....probably not for me...don't want to work out buffeting and windshield problem, Cruiser such as HONDA rebel......would not be caught dead on=no center stand, feet forward, not for long days. What I buy I ride and expect some degree of carry capacity and some degree of comfort for body----SilverWing is bad enough if you ride a lot-long trips.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 am

Have you ever tried the Honda Pan European John, been a firm favourite for touring for many years in UK.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 4:48 am

G'day, if Mr G is finding the Silver Wing heavy at 247kg/544 lbs, the ST1300 Pan European However popular a tourer, adds another couple of cylinders and weighs in at 329kg/725 lbs.

IMHO the new Suzuki V-Strom 250 seems to be the ideal bike for older riders to downsize to. It's not too heavy at 188kg/414 lbs to haul onto it's stand or push about, and not too tall to for the average old boy to throw his leg over.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 7:16 am

I had a new NT700V---Deauville to those in other world parts.----Nice, heavy, didn't break--Leave it a long and it worked well---standard windshield 60-65 mph fine.

Pan European=heavy, hot---camshafts have to be taken off for valve aadjustment=not for me.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 8:15 am

Perhaps you need to go open top sports car. That would cover most problems

JB

OK - I'll stand in the corner facing the wall Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 8:37 am

Have had 2 Miatas, one new, one used, Honda Beat, MG. But I am motorcyclist and prefer 2 wheels.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Had test ride on Honda PCX 150 scooter today=ok, front end a little harsh, seemed to have plenty of power---surely quicker than my 2 stroke Vespa 150 and 200. Sure needs a decent windshield. No ABS

Trying to find out if there is 2018 Forza---EU new rules may have killed it. My dealer still has one left over 2017 @$4600....and 2 left over new SilverWings @$7200. PCX150 out the door price, taxes paid @$4000.

I do not need test ride on Suzuki TU250.....put 10,000 miles on the one I had. Want new/fresh one.....neighborhood dealer has 2015 leftover but no reduction in price at this time. Left overs are only interesting to me with big price reduction.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Might add to 2 seat cars---had 2 Toyota 800s coupes---800cc opposed twin---engine maybe copy of gogomobile twin engine, car really nice looking, sounded nice, really light, gas fired heater, roof came out and stored in trunk---drove/rode nice and fast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: getting closer to buying new bike   getting closer to buying new bike I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

getting closer to buying new bike
Page 1 of 1