Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tires and air pressures

Go down 
+11
Michel Vachon
AldusFran
Mech 1 twa
bikehiker
carolina wing rider
Dale N.
Old Limey
cliffyk
john grinsel
Gustafa
oldwingguy
15 posters
AuthorMessage
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Tires and air pressures Empty
PostSubject: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 8:11 am

Smile I know I know not again BUT got to wondering no matter what pressure YOU run in your tires do you use the same pressures no matter what the brand? One reason I ask is I've noticed different MAX pressures imprinted on the side walls of same sized tires. One of my cages lists different pressures from front to rear although they are the same tires all the way around.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 9:12 am

Even the Honda User manual (spec'd for the Bridgestone Hoops) run the front and rear at different PSI's

Front 29, Rear 33 to 36 depending on weight of driver.

I run 29-31 on front and 36 to 38 on rear, I run Pirellis.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 11:51 am

Based on lots of SilverWing miles-----29 psi cold----rear 33 psi. Max load on side of tire is max load capacity psi of tire.

Note: I noticed Michelin Power Pure SC max load is at 33 PSI----this 33 worked for me.

Too hard=ride not fun. I noticed Suzuki Burgman 400 24 PSI suggested in front----had 2 Burgman 400's, enjoyed softer ride, use same tires as SilverWing as I recall.

Brand of tire makes no difference in PSI for normal running, in my experience---Bridgestone, Pirelli or Michelin----rear adjusted for load.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 11:55 am

The maximum pressure printed on the sidewall is just that, the maximum safe inflation pressure (ever) for the tire in question. It is in general unrelated to the optimal running pressure, and only VERY rarely--and only if one really knows what they are doing--should tires on any vehicle be inflated to that maximum pressure.

As long as the mounted tires (again on any vehicle) are the recommended size inflate them to the manufacturer's recommended pressures--again with the caveat; unless you know what you are doing.

Why front and rear suggested pressures differ should be obvious; they carry different loads, and on bikes are most often different sizes carrying different loads...

Last edited by cliffyk on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 1:07 pm

The only time I deviated from recommended pressures(Front 29 rear 33) was when I fitted the tyres I am running on at present Power Pure's front and rear. Front I run at 26psi and rear at 30 psi. after 5,000mls on front and 3,000mls on rear they finally feel "bedded in" and I feel confident riding with them I will NOT be using these tyres again. No
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 2:18 am

OK Old Limey I HAVE to ask this. 5,000 on the front and 3,000 on the back? Is the front tire that much smaller that the miles add up quicker?

OK. OK. I just had to throw this one out there. I couldn't help myself... Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 4:18 am

Nice one Dale, I put the front on at 22,000mls, and the rear at 24,000mls now at 27, 300mls.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Tire pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 9:57 pm

30 front and 35 rear seems to be the best all around way to go unless a HEAVY load is carried and this applies to any make tires I've seen..
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Bringing this topic up again at this time of year when the cold weather reduces all tire pressures. So those of us who live north of the equator at this time need to check the air pressures in our cars and bikes. It's amazing how much pressure is lost when the weather drops 30+ degrees. Above is good info about the SWing's suggested tire pressures.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 8:31 pm

MAX. tire pressures are set for a cold tire. If it's 60°F at the start of ride and 90° at the end tire will get hotter and pressure will be higher how much ? But still will be okay. Measured it a few times and can be 3-4 psi higher at end of day, tires can deal with higher pressures.

Lower pressures not recommended but 2-3 PSI higher will not hurt .

I will also never be buying Mich. Power Pure again.

Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 2:49 pm

I run 29-30psi in my Shinko front and 33-34 in rear Michelin City Grips and so far both tires after 3000 miles look and feel great.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 3:12 pm

I hear some Swingers don't care for the Michelin Power Pure. Many people still believe Michelin are exclusively made in France -wrong. Michelin have factories in many countries. My rear City Grips were made in Serbia. I don't know if this tire plant uses really good rubber compound or what but they are wearing great and feel great. Naturally my front Shinko is made Korea. Think of Hyundai , Kia and Kymco .
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Hi every one, thumbs up

I ride on Metzeler Feelfree and like them ...
33/33 riding alone
33/35 with a passenger.

Cost a little more $ but I think our life worth it.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 am

Going back to the 50's I have never has a lot of luck with Metzlers, but liked M880 on rear. May try Metzler Feel Free when tires due on my 2019 Kymco XTown 300I, which has about 9,000 miles now, stock rear tire so bad replaced with Michelin City Grip---nice tire, but no matching front available for SilverWing or Kymco----Note: SilverWing and the Kymco use the same size tires.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Using IRC tires (Honda OEM)
I run 30 PSI front and 36 PSI rear.
I check the pressure with tires cold.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 11:40 pm

Lower pressures could trash your handling. Higher just rides harder ( within a few pounds of recommended psi.) When I picked up my Swing (1st Swing 12th + bike) it really handled bad. I almost didn't buy it. When I checked tire pressure I had about 15 in back and 18 up front. I now run 33 rear cause I weigh 265# and 26 front. Handles great with Pirellis f&r.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 am

It all depends where you ride and how many extra pounds you add to the bike.
Normally I under inflate a bit since I ride in a warm area and with the riding the tire pressure increases a bit. Also sometimes the roads are not that smooth that the tires need to take up part of the suspension.
A simple check if you are underinflated, check the temperature with the hand after a highway ride. One tire warmer than the other (mostly the rear) it needs a bit more air.

In my trunk is an automatic puncture sealer and tire inflator can and on occasion if I might encounter roads what require slow riding and soft tires I carry a handheld compressor what adjusts the pressure in a few seconds (acu powered).
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2019 10:15 am

tire Check
All of this is well and good, but most gauges are only accurate to a couple of lbs's. Better than that, in a test per Motorcycle Consumer News the cheapest crappie (y) gauge was the most accurate! So my method is to stay within factory parameters and check wear. Handling is #1 then ride and of course total weight of machine.
🛵☄
The harder the tire compound the better for hot weather riding generally speaking. You could look up how compounds are rated.

It's almost always a compromise in the 2 wheeled world. Staying home and staying in bed is the answer other than that.
Back to top Go down
Akyla
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2017-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 9:11 am

Michel Vachon wrote:
Hi every one, thumbs up

I ride on Metzeler Feelfree and like them ...
33/33 riding alone
33/35 with a passenger.

Cost a little more $ but I think our life worth it.

Installed FeelFree last week...it rides like a charm!!!!
Also the guy that did the installation mentioned 33F/36R at least for the 200 initial km of the Tyre.

Was doing 29/35 with the old michelin I had, but I am liking the 33/36 more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tires and air pressures   Tires and air pressures I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tires and air pressures
Page 1 of 1