Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Problems for long distance rider.

Go down 
+5
steve_h80
Scootypuff Snr
Jolly Bodger
Meldrew
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Problems for long distance rider. Empty
PostSubject: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 9:36 am

Over 62 years of doing this and over 1.5 million miles---following has always been problem for me....except in Vespa carrying its own spare tire...or factory BMW or Harley sidecar outfits that carried spare tire. Problem: what happens when you are half way thru your trip and rear tire worn out? SilverWing for sure you are not going to find Honda dealer with one in stock or has the tire you want (speaking here of riding in US). Am riding to Wisconsin for my 60th High School re-union and then thru the UP of Mich. Rear tire maybe worn out-----I have called ahead to dealer in Chippewa Falls-Zacho(bought several bikes there so am established customer) to make sure they have or can get tire I want and change quickly on Fri or Sat.AM with little delay for me. All ok!
I am hoping won't need tire(trip maybe 2500 miles) and can make it home and install the Michelin Power Pure SC I already have in stock.

My experience: HD in US dealer has tire in stock or one in junk pile that will keep you going----Europe, BMW dealers always have tire to keep you moving. Honda dealers in US????

Why do I bring this up?---I ride a lot,hope you do too, try to keep expenses down----unplanned delays can really get expensive!! and it isn't every dealer that will help you getting on way quickly.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 10:33 am

That seems a complicated way of doing things when part of the preparation before leaving for an extended trip or tour has always been ensuring your tyres are in good condition and have sufficient tread for the journey you intend to do. If in doubt, it's simpler to get a new tyre/s fitted and scrubbed in (and puncture sealant installed if you use it) before you leave home
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Please remember distances in North America. Certain trips here can wear out fresh tire....like Alaska, etc. And who has tires installed?---do it yourself and you know it and replacing rear wheel done right, including greasing splines. Also I like to wear tires out, means getting monies worth. Done myself, I install Ride On---killing two birds with one stone---balance (most shops here do/cannot balance scooter wheels) and hopefully sealant for small punctures.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 1:44 pm

If you fit you're own tyres (tires) sureĺy it's cheaper and easier to fit you're own new tyre before a long trip than to pay a dealer to do it while away. You can always put the old tyre back on when you get back to get the last miles out of it.

JB
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 1:55 pm

I understand about the long distances in the US, but you're staying in one very large country. You try finding replacement tyres if you're in rural France, Germany, maybe Spain, countries with different languages, cultures, opening hours, pricing etc. It's simpler to leave home with plenty of meat on the tyres.

I doubt if very many owners change their own tyres at home as you do. They either take their loose wheels to a tyre fitter or dealers, or drop the scooter off for a couple of hours and have the old tyres removed and new rubber fitted.

That's what I did last year when I had my new ContiMoves fitted locally, the mechanic also fitted the Ariete valves I'd supplied, lubricated everything, balanced the wheels, checked brake pads for wear etc, and when I returned to pick up my Silver Wing gave me a run down on everything he'd done.

Meanwhile I'd had a wander into York city centre and had a pot of tea and a very nice bacon roll in a café under the historic city walls. Then I leisurely strolled back and the work was done, no buying tyre changing gear, axle stands, and the other junk. I'd probably get grief off Mrs M for cluttering up the garage with this stuff.

I can't see the point trying to change tubeless tyres on my maxi at home, we take our car to a tyre fitting place for new rubber, just as everyone else does.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Razz  Meldrew you just reminded me of the time I high sided my moto guzzi in deepest France & managed to get repair spares at a John Deere tractor agent Shocked
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 3:46 pm

I remember not filling up on Saturday in France, that lead to stressful Sunday!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 4:31 am

So John,
Where is the joke?
Back to top Go down
E.D.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
E.D.

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 4:42 am

If you have planned a long cross country trip, why not order you new rear tire and have it sent to a point in the middle of your trip? You can locate a shop on Google and contact them, make arrangements, and when the tire arrives there, they can hold it until you get there. Call them a day or two before you arrive to give them a heads up, and when you arrive, you get the tire put on your bike, pay your bill, buy everybody beer and pizza, and them go merrily on your way! If you are so concerned about the tire, then a little planning won't hurt you. If you are so concerned about getting the most out of your tire, then you can leave with your used one and hope you make it to your stop, how adventuresome! If you have Ride-On in your tires, and WD-40 under the seat, you most likely won't have any problems(WD-40 will cure rim leaks). Sounds like a plan, huh? bounce
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 7:24 am

All great---but I do not plan my trips/riding down to the last point----but always get there, bad tires or not. I surely do not carry computer or fancy phone on bike trip...... and I do it often---49 states in 2014--scooter and Suzuki TU 250. Important thing is just to go. Been at this 62 years.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 7:41 am

Best wishes for another great trip John ... and may your tires (or anything else) not provide you any grief ... let us know how you made out please.
Mike
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 8:21 am

Doesn't John Grinsel's method of LD riding speak to the Zen of the ride rather than to the Flat Earth insecurity of the ride wherein a GPS & Bluetooth cell phone, etc. reassure your comfort zone and allay the fear that you're not going to fall of the edge? Ooo, scary business this travel stuff...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems for long distance rider.   Problems for long distance rider. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problems for long distance rider.
Page 1 of 1