Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brake woes who said its easy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

Brake woes who said its easy Empty
PostSubject: Brake woes who said its easy   Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Last friday night riding home and noticed a twittering when using rear brakes, had already bought 2 sets of pads, thought i'll strip the caliper off fit new pads and the check the front. Famous last words.

The screw in plug was seized in, tried penetrating oil, tried heat, tried cold shock aerosol, tried chiselling it round. Nothing was moving it. Ended up taking the caliper off and working on the bench, still not shifting. Looked at my watch, 8.45 time to go in leave the pentrating oil to soak overnight and get cleaned up, go to supermarket for a beer, 10 mins later wife asks 'are you going to the supermarket ?' my reply, no rush its not 9.00, 'it's 10 minutes to 10!' said sod it and had a whisky instead.

Next morning still no movement, ended up cutting hanger pin into 3 pieces, drilling the plug out and in the afternoon buy a new hanger pin. Home,remove pistons, clean out grooves and clean up pistons, rebuild and fit new pads, new pin and put it back with grease in place of plug. Went to front and took caliper off, slider seized solid ( caliper i got S/H last year), managed to get slider free next morning, cleaned up pistons, went to fit pads and they were another set of back pads! Found a better set of pads from the old caliper I still had and rebuilt. Spent the next couple of hours tryng to get a brake lever.

Left the levers tied to the handlebar overnight, bit better next mornig but not perfect. Been doing that everytimeits parked since and getting better.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Brake woes who said its easy   Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 pm

It's only EZ when it goes smoothly, the rest falls under chit happens. BTDT more than once.
Back to top Go down
scotchjoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2017-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Brake woes who said its easy   Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Air gets trapped at the brake master cylinder banjo bolt.If you pump the lever half a dozen times then crack open and re tighten the banjo bolt quickly it may help you get a better feel at the lever.Take precautions and cover the surrounding area to prevent the brake fluid getting on the paintwork.It comes out in spurts.
The wee hole in the middle of the slot on the screw in plug is to fit a punch in.A sharp clout with a punch is usually enough to get it turning.As you have found out its a very bad design and Honda now mostly use a rubber bung instead.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Brake woes who said its easy   Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 28, 2017 7:59 am

Those pesky screw in plugs gave me the same headache on my 750 Shadow. I bought a spare caliper assembly off eBay, but ended up selling the bike.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake woes who said its easy   Brake woes who said its easy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake woes who said its easy
Page 1 of 1