Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sebastiono
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sebastiono

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-12-19

one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) Empty
PostSubject: one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)   one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 10:34 am

Hi,

so today I visited my mother which means 33 miles mostly on highways to her. Going up to 100 mph it was my fastest ride on 2-wheelers ever sub 10 (fahrenheit). It was sunny and the air was crispy- road condition dry-wettish and snowy (mostly minor stripes) mostly only on the city streets. Decided to buy new scooter-boots (my feet in motorbike boots went cold).
And yes we have unlimited highways in Germany and yes a wide part of the trip was done at 80mph on limited two/three lane country roads.

Used gear:
demi jet helmet with visor(my allday helmet through out the year)
some DIY mask and one medium thick balaclava
fury gloves
a fury hoody
one hd kidney belt
textile touring jacket
knee warmers (non heated)
fury motorbike boots (leather - too cold on the scooter)

on the scooter large windshield and, i have to admit, heated grips

Yes and I am beside the SW used to ride dirt bikes and scrambler for daily commuting.
But commuting in winter on snowy conditions it is very helpful if you are able to keep both feet on the road and brake by hand the rear wheel.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)   one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 3:04 pm

I've ridden in 35 degree weather, but no colder. You're a better man than I riding in temperatures below 10 degrees...or REALLY felt guilty about not seeing your mom for a while! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)   one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 3:19 pm

You cannot brake rear wheel alone on SilverWing...linked brakes.

I motorcycle/scooter commuted year around in Germany for over 20 years----Vespa 150, fine, MZ ETZ ok, best and safest in the 50's, BMW R51/3-Steib S350--Heinrich fairing and legshields good weather protection----Thermo Boy completely warm suit----US Rubber overshoes, very warm on feet---In the 80's I tried Moon Boots, your feet got wet after a few hours.

Messerschmitts (had 2, 200cc) had heater and were big improvement over bike and really fun in snow.
Back to top Go down
Sebastiono
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sebastiono

PostSubject: Re: one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)   one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 3:25 pm

@John

No - you can- I have tried it already as this was an important point for me- despite linked brakes- Honda made this really clever:

If you take the left brake on slippery ground the rear wheel will the first wheel that will block.
If you take the right brake the front wheel will be the first.

I dont know if this was really the intention of Honda but at least on my SW the brakes function like this.

But I think this is on all SW without ABS- at least in 2 reviews about the SW the result was that the SW stops earlier if you use both brakes.
This would support my opinion as the left one has more power ( two caliper pistons front) but more ( or at least earlier) force on the rear and the left one is weaker (only one caliper piston front) but has more force on the front.

@Kenjj
aaah- better man? I would not dare to say so.
But on my daily commuting traffic with cages is terrible-
I need up to 1,5 hours for 16kms- and on a bike I takes normally less than 20-25 mins and in summer I already managed it in 15mins. So the last two winters I rode a KLE 500. Have only to rest for a week as my right hand got almost frostbite.

Despite this I thought the SW would have a better milage than the Peugeot (206 CC) from my wife- but it is almost the same. With both in winter I got ~40mpg- so next time I will probably take nthe Peugeot. (as we had a bank holiday) But after getting a new hip last october I was eager to make a longer ride und it was sunny  Smile

... and no - I visited my mom already last weekend  Laughing
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)   one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Yes rear brake comes on, followed by front however not easyest, safest control when really slippery....if front come on=down you go. SilverWing, I have over 80,000 miles with Honda linked brakes and then another 22,000 with Reflex, ridden in slippery conditions.=not the best system for people who really know how to ride

My experience, I love rear brake control as balancing aide.....but not on SilverWing/Reflex-----rode Helix down Baja Mexico, foot pedal control control of rear alone worked well in deep sand, Japan dry pavement, heavy traffic great help in keeping bike upright and fitting thru small spaces.
Back to top Go down
Sebastiono
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sebastiono

PostSubject: Re: one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)   one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 4:19 pm

I agree to this concerning slippery conditions. But on 15cm new, wet snow I keep my feet sliding on the ground and so very soft braking with mor force on the rear will be sufficient.

Got caught by such a snowfall more than 10 years ago on my way back home. Riding a 180 hexagon with winter tyres but it was almost impossible to get forward with the tiny whels of the hexagon. The hexagon had a bit to less weight- switching between riding on the snow and sinking to the ground.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)   one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 1:04 am

I used the brakes as though they weren't linked. Both my several Goldwings and the Silverwing had linked brakes. However they are biased to put much less pressure on the front than the rear unless you really reef down on the lever. I use the method of slow riding as described in the 'Ride like a Pro' video series and really never noticed much difference if any in riding either the GL or SW with linked brakes or my BMW K1100LT without linked brakes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)   one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

one tone ride at 7 (Fahrenheit)
Page 1 of 1