Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Wings in Yorkshire , England.

Go down 
+5
Winger61
bikerboy
Meldrew
Cookie
Madmart49
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Madmart49
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-11-05

Wings in Yorkshire , England. Empty
PostSubject: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 3:54 am

Good morning to all, and a very merry or happy xmas to all my
fellow Wingers.
I actually saw an swing yesterday , going across North Bridge near
Doncaster. I was quite excited about it as I am pretty sure that,s the
first one I,ve seen since getting Sonic several months ago.
As I was travelling in the opposite direction on a dual carraigeway I
couldn,t just do a u turn and see the guy.
But I,m not alone. According to a website " How Many" there are 682
wings registered in the country with 80 odd sorn (off road).
I wonder where they all are ?
Merry xmas to all.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 5:28 am

Hi Madmart. I think you'll find there's quite a lot more than that.
I just checked 'How many left' and it comes to about 1440 registered at the moment.
There seem to be quite a few around here.
Anyway, happy Christmas.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 7:21 am

Yorkshire covers a large area of our sceptred isle, apart from North Yorkshire where I am, there's West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, and the East Riding of Yorkshire. To those that aren't familiar with Yorkshire, they're all uniquely different parts of Yorkshire and fascinating to me as a Cumbrian living here.

I see the odd Silver Wing about, either parked up or out on the road, old Brubaker here in York has one, I was looking at one parked up at the railway station a few weeks ago, I remember it had an apron and handle bar muffs on  Smile and the rubbish OE screen.  Crying or Very sad

There's a couple more I've spotted on trips to Harrogate, and Leeds, but as a Silver Wing owner, the sight of one is no different than when you see someone driving the same model car as you have.

I think I'd get more excited if I saw someone pedalling along on the same WorkCycles Dutch pushbike as I ride.

The only Silver Wing owner I've met off the Silver Wing and Muppets forums ( apart from Brubaker who finds forums Sleep ) is The Bern at the IWM Duxford last year. (Merry Christmas bud!)

Merry Christmas everyone! santa
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 6:25 pm

Meldrew as an exile from Cumbria you should be made aware of the fact that South  Yorkshire does not exist, the word Riding is from the Norse 'thriding' which is a third part, hence North,West and East Ridings.  South Riding only exists in the novel of which the same name.  Sorry to be so pedantic but we  Yorkshiremen are awkward beggars at the best of times.
Seasons grettings to All from New Zealand where we are visiting family.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Hello mate, as a Cumbrian I am aware that the metropolitan county of South Yorkshire was formed on 1 April 1974 as a result of the Local Government Act of 1972. It was one of the test questions on the examination paper I completed and passed to get my Yorkshire Green Card.  Smile

The same local government act formed the new county of Cumbria from the old counties of Cumberland, Westmorland and a few unwanted bits of North Lancashire.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Wings in Yorkshire England   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 7:26 pm

That's only an admin. convenience, real Yorkshiremen still only recognise three Ridings !
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 3:11 am

What about all the real Yorkshiremen born since the boundary changes in 1974? The oldest of them will be 42 years old and middle aged now, a couple might even be Silver Wing owners.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 10:27 am

bikerboy wrote:
That's only an admin. convenience, real Yorkshiremen still only recognise three Ridings !

So very true! IIRC, the word 'riding' is derived from the old english word for third. Only in government could you have four thirds!!
I was born in Beverley, East Yorkshire (currently doing missionary work in Lincolnshire!).
On a similar note, when my uncle, born and bred in East Yorkshire, died some years ago, his death certificate said he died in North Humberside. My aunt refused to accept that. and argued with the registrar that he died in East Yorkshire - took a while, but she won eventually, and they altered the wording!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 2:14 am

It's all pretty irrelevant to me as I'm not a 'real Yorkshireman' but I do have that advantage of livng in Yorkshire, and not Lancashire or Lincolnshire.  Smile

In fact I can't remember when in the last few years I've been in a proper bit of Lancashire, I still haven't got round to riding over the Humber Bridge either, into South Humberside, North Lincolnshire, or whatever they currently call the area over the other side of the Humber.

I'm more used to gazing over that side of the Humber from the comfort of a departing P & O ferry, but nowadays after 30 plus years of using the Hull ferries I'm more interested in having a bit of dinner.

Kingston-upon-Hull, or just plain Hull, is also the European City of Culture 2017. Yorkshire has it all!  Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 7:03 am

As a Lancastrian, born in Lancashire, I am well aware that the Yorkshire folk think the world begins and ends in Yorkshire. I travel a lot in Yorkshire, very nice roads, as has Shropshire , Cheshire, and of course Lancashire. As the saying goes "you can always tell a Yorkshire man, but, you can' t. tell him much". But for their well known tightfistedness , they would be alright. Merry Christmas and a safe happy new year Meldrew, and everyone else on the site.
Back to top Go down
david170454
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Yorkshire born Mother   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 11:58 am

Hi Guys
Silverwing here in Daventry not used much 03 plate 11,000 miles on the clock, 3rd owner, little Gem I have.
I don't see any on the road either.
Can't wait for some warmer weather sunny
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm just over the border from north yorkshire.
I did see another sw in the village last year. My first thoughts wherethat some bugger had stolen my bike! ThenI I remembered I was sat on mine....
It had been a long day :-)
Back to top Go down
Bairdb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2017-02-12

PostSubject: Wings in Yorjshire   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Steve
Ha ha ha, your last line really made me laugh. Could have been worse. You might have called the Bobbies before noticing what you were riding.
Blain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wings in Yorkshire , England.   Wings in Yorkshire , England. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wings in Yorkshire , England.
Page 1 of 1