Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bar mount sought

Go down 
+3
Sidewinder Pilot
Meldrew
jaquesaulait
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-09-16

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi everybody.  I finally have a waterproof case for my satnav, but I'm limited to the mirrors as somewhere to put the rather short clamp; the case partially obscures the mirror and I'd like it a bit further behind the screen for protection.  The extension below looks pretty good, but it's £18!  Does anybody know of a similar one for less money, please?  Thanks, chaps.

(And how do you get a pic in the posting?  "Insert image" asks for a URL.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Benelli-500-Ouattro-Handlebar-Camera-SatNav-Mount-Bracket-/400996981103?hash=item5d5d48596f:g:M9IAAOSwSX9XBE-H

Jack.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2016 3:37 am

That's one weird looking bracket, I'd ask myself why is someone selling something supposedly for an old air-cooled Benelli motorbike from way back in the mid 1970’s of which there's only a half a dozen still on the road, and another dozen or so on SORN.

The way to go with fitting sat navs is to using the RAM system of RAM balls, RAM arms, and RAM mounts. I have a suspicion the 6" Garmin sat nav you bought is not a weatherproof motorcycle specific model but for use inside a car.
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2016 6:35 am

I have a waterproof case for the satnav and that has its own mount, that's why I need a bar style extension.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2016 11:15 am

Bar mount sought S-l16011
Bar mount sought Res_mo10
It looks like a slick solution to limited bar clamping space.
This would go well with the brake res cover with an integrated mounting boss...

It would look classy and expensive, oh wait, it would be classy and expensive.
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2016 2:07 pm

A RAM mount is no good for my device:

Bar mount sought Ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GEO0H3K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(And I still can't get a picture in my posting!)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2016 2:52 pm

Yes, because your zipped sat nav case and holder is designed to fit on the tubular handlebars of a motorcycle or a push bike, not the plastic shrouded handlebars of a maxi scooter.

I have a similar type handlebar clamp for the remote heat controller unit for my new Keis heated jacket. It's ideal on motorcycle bars, but there's nowhere convenient to mount it on my Silver Wing, apart from maybe on one of the wide alloy spacers at the end of my handlebars that are part of my hand guards. Luckily the controller works similar to a car remote door unlock/lock key, and I can use it inside the pocket of a hi-vis vest.

I have seen similar zipped cases for maxi scooters where the sat nav is central between the handlebars, with a Fastex buckle or Velcro straps securing it to each side of the bars. Whether they're available to fit 6" sat navs I've no idea.
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Yes, because your zipped sat nav case and holder is designed to fit on the tubular handlebars of a motorcycle or a push bike, not the plastic shrouded handlebars of a maxi scooter.

Yes, hence my posting title, "Bar mount sought"..!

I have seen similar zipped cases for maxi scooters where the sat nav is central between the handlebars, with a Fastex buckle or Velcro straps securing it to each side of the bars. Whether they're available to fit 6" sat navs I've no idea.

A good suggestion, Meld, and not a bad compromise.  But it should be possible to obtain a (cheap) bar mount with a flattened end with a hole in it that I can put onto the mirror mount or something like that.  

I might even have a crack at making something like that myself.  A bit of copper tubing or something.  Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2016 4:35 pm

The reservoir cover in my above photo gives you a 3/8-16 threaded boss that you can bolt whatever you need to it, the ram ball is not included or an actual part of it. It comes in black with the single side, which is what we use.

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8

You could put one on each side and bolt a support beam across it and mount switches, speakers, drink holders, phone and sat mounts.

The 22.2mm 7/8" mount found by Jaquesaulait (see also above) would also bolt to it and place the "extra" bar close to center.
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks, Sidewinder. Jack.
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 9:06 am

Hi all.  I made a mount from two angle brackets and a bit of wood and it is a fine piece of craftspersonship (>ahem<):

Bar mount sought Img_0212

Two 6 x 25mm mounting bolts; the angle brackets had 5mm holes, so a round file sorted that.  7 heavy washers as I have no suitable spacers yet, though the washers enabled me to adjust the height easily.  25mm dowel, bit of gaffer for a slight enthickening for the clamp to grip nice and tight.  I left the top holes on the brackets so I have the option to mount it higher, cut off the ends with the other 2 holes, bit of filing on the corners and edges.  Matt black B&Q brand one coat paint (that needed a primer).  I need to use roundhead screws instead of the countersinks.  
 Tested at 80-90mph (on a private motorway in real weather conditions, natch), no probs, seems sound.  

Bar mount sought Img_0214
Bar mount sought Img_0222
Bar mount sought Img_0221

Added bonus: perfect miniature bog-roll holder for the hayfevery months:

Bar mount sought Img_0215

Cost: about £10, but that's for everything.  The amount of materials used estimated cost: £3.50, something like that.  Not gorgeous, but works well and made using basic tools.  :-)
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 9:18 pm

jaquesaulait wrote:
Hi all.  I made a mount from two angle brackets and a bit of wood and it is a fine piece of craftspersonship ....

Looking at the photos makes me wonder if your satnav obscures the view of your instrument panel?
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 8:50 am

By using an angled base Ram mount on the same place you´re able to see both the speedo meter, the gas meter and the alert lights.
Attachments
Bar mount sought AttachmentIMG_1847.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(15 Kb) Downloaded 16 times
Back to top Go down
jaquesaulait
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jaquesaulait

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 9:39 am

Quote :
Looking at the photos makes me wonder if your satnav obscures the view of your instrument panel?

Aye, it does, but seeing the revs doesn't matter (unless something is wrong with the bike), the speed is shown on the satnav anyway (and more accurately, I think) and you don't need to look at the fuel gauge often, but a slight lean to the right does the trick.  If the case was a more tailored fit, i.e. smaller, it would be better.  Having the satnav behind the windscreen is preferable as it doesn't affect the aerodynamics and isn't buffeted by the wind. I'll keep half an eye out for some kind of extension to raise it up over the binnacle.
I realise that some people might leave the satnav on all the time, but I tend to use it only for parts of a journey, the rest of the time it fits nicely in the lockable 'glove' box where it can also charge.  
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 10:26 am

Flyingpanman wrote:

I thought that too, I had that problem a bit years ago when I used a TomTom sat nav with a small RAM arm on a DennisB GPS mount. A medium RAM arm was better, and for me large was better still.

Sun glare can also obscure the display on a central mounted sat nav so I fitted a Glare Buster to shield the display. My later generation Garmin isn't so affected by bright sun as the TomTom, but it there is a lot weight for the RAM arm to support when the Garmin is secured in the Touratech cradle.

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Cracking bit of bodging there Jaques.
And I love the alternative use as a bog roll holder. :-)
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 pm

jaquesaulait wrote:
Hi all.  I made a mount from two angle brackets and a bit of wood and it is a fine piece of craftspersonship (>ahem<):

Bar mount sought Img_0212

Two 6 x 25mm mounting bolts; the angle brackets had 5mm holes, so a round file sorted that.  7 heavy washers as I have no suitable spacers yet, though the washers enabled me to adjust the height easily.  25mm dowel, bit of gaffer for a slight enthickening for the clamp to grip nice and tight.  I left the top holes on the brackets so I have the option to mount it higher, cut off the ends with the other 2 holes, bit of filing on the corners and edges.  Matt black B&Q brand one coat paint (that needed a primer).  I need to use roundhead screws instead of the countersinks.  
 Tested at 80-90mph (on a private motorway in real weather conditions, natch), no probs, seems sound.  

Bar mount sought Img_0214
Bar mount sought Img_0222
Bar mount sought Img_0221

Added bonus: perfect miniature bog-roll holder for the hayfevery months:

Bar mount sought Img_0215

Cost: about £10, but that's for everything.  The amount of materials used estimated cost: £3.50, something like that.  Not gorgeous, but works well and made using basic tools.  :-)

Great idea. Looks good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bar mount sought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bar mount sought   Bar mount sought I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bar mount sought
Page 1 of 1