Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
New member I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
New member I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
New member I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
New member I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
New member I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
New member I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
New member I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
New member I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
New member I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
New member I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Go down 
+5
Cosmic_Jumper
Modernman1953
exavid
cornishtrailsloth
mpenny
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mpenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mpenny

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-11-19

New member Empty
PostSubject: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi everyone just purchased a new 2012 silver wing for $3999.00 on a impulse buy. I have looked at this machine for 4 years but could not see forking out 10k for a scooter. long story short dealership was bought and the new owner marked down all stock that was 2 years and older. Wow what a fun ride being a motorcycle rider for 35 years never would have thought to own one but what a heartbreaker those guys on the Harleys hate me now and I can't wait till a trip to the mountains T.W.O or Deals Gap. Laughing
Back to top Go down
cornishtrailsloth
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-10-24

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi mpenny - looks like you got a really good deal - it is fun - that's exactly right, I am enjoying the point where you overtake a car at speed and can almost hear the driver's comments - "it's a scooter!"
Back to top Go down
mpenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mpenny

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 8:19 pm

cornishtrailsloth- "it's a scooter" hear it a lot and loving it.
Back to top Go down
cornishtrailsloth
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-10-24

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 pm

my neighbour said (after he's seen me riding a Honda Deauville) 'that must take you longer to get to work on' - he was a little bit gobsmacked when I said it took less time as it got to 90mph a lot quicker.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi, mpenny and welcome!
I've enjoyed dismaying HD Sportster riders at traffic lights. My SW and now my BMW C6500GT both would beat them off the line. I just can't imagine a Harley rider's humiliation after being "scootered". I just wish I could find an easy way to eliminate the hold back on these scooters. Both the SW and the GT hold the ignition advanve back for a few seconds when you first open the throttle. Supposed to prevent wheel spin or lifting the front wheel. I'd like to be able to bypass that system now and then.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 9:41 pm

exavid wrote:
Hi, mpenny and welcome!
I've enjoyed dismaying HD Sportster riders at traffic lights. My SW and now my BMW C6500GT both would beat them off the line. I just can't imagine a Harley rider's humiliation after being "scootered". I just wish I could find an easy way to eliminate the hold back on these scooters. Both the SW and the GT hold the ignition advanve back for a few seconds when you first open the throttle. Supposed to prevent wheel spin or lifting the front wheel. I'd like to be able to bypass that system now and then.

That is the only time I feel like the bike is shifting gears. It roars to life at 14 mph.
Back to top Go down
mpenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mpenny

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 10:20 pm

exavid-  After the ATV lawsuit in the US Honda has over engineered liability in their motorcycles "once bitten twice shy". I'm sure the timing issue is not only for our safety but also longevity. I have found that a quick half throttle seems to work best compared to a quick full throttle.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, mpenny

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 1:40 am

I must respectively disagree. When I twist the throttle open, I want it all! All of it! Now I realize I'm now not the guy that got his first motorcycle in 1957 but I still feel the same when I'm on a bike. My GT has 60hp, that's enough to give a good solid kick in the butt when suddenly opening the throttle, lets have it!
Seriously though I don't like not getting all the performance I paid for. I know how to handle a bike I don't need some lawyer getting between my machine and I.

Actually to get the longest life out of a centrifugal clutch a brisk application of throttle works best. That way the clutch locks up quickly with less slippage reducing wear. I'm not suggesting always starting out with full throttle but slow acceleration can wear the clutch.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 am

mpenny welcome aboard from o-HI-o Smile
Back to top Go down
mpenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mpenny

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Exavid- I hear you, Now if you want some serious acceleration the Honda CBR 1000 0-60 under 2 seconds:lol:
Back to top Go down
mpenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mpenny

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 12:32 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
mpenny welcome aboard from o-HI-o Smile
Thanks
Back to top Go down
mpenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mpenny

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Welcome to the forum, mpenny

Tim
Thanks
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 3:23 pm

mpenny wrote:
Exavid- I hear you, Now if you want some serious acceleration the Honda CBR 1000 0-60 under 2 seconds:lol:  

A few decades ago I had a Bultaco that wasn't a slouch either. It's not so much the actual acceleration of a bike, it's more that I like to be able to get all it has to give in a stock condition. You have to admit it would be fun if these scoots could lift a front wheel or spin a rear wheel once in a while.
Back to top Go down
mpenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mpenny

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 9:44 pm

exavid wrote:
mpenny wrote:

A few decades ago I had a Bultaco that wasn't a slouch either. It's not so much the actual acceleration of a bike, it's more that I like to be able to get all it has to give in a stock condition. You have to admit it would be fun if these scoots could lift a front wheel or spin a rear wheel once in a while.

"Dr Pulley" may have what you need. I just ordered 26g sliders for my Silver Wing to enhance performance
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Mpenny,
Sorry but 26gm sliders did not do anything for me. I ended up with 24gm sliders and love it. Love the power when I need it. The 26gm helped with the vibrations when starting off from a stop, but the 24s will push you back in your seat. Lower weights will cost you in MPG.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 1:03 am

I didn't see much change in operation with Dr. Pulley. I installed a set when replacing the CVT belt on my first Silverwing. If I had it to do again I think I'd go with the 24gm sliders instead of the 26gm set I installed.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

New member Empty
PostSubject: Subject: New member Sat Nov 19, 2016    New member I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 1:41 am

Hello mpenny and welcome to the best Forum on ether side of the
pond. A lot of good information here but take your time,some times you have to judge fact from fiction. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 1:44 am

exavid wrote:
I didn't see much change in operation with Dr. Pulley. I installed a set when replacing the CVT belt on my first Silverwing. If I had it to do again I think I'd go with the 24gm sliders instead of the 26gm set I installed.

Paul,
I did notice a slight increase in acceleration with the 26g sliders. I was not satisfied and installed the 24s. I just took it as a cheap lesson learned. Smile
Back to top Go down
mpenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mpenny

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Mpenny,
Sorry but 26gm sliders did not do anything for me. I ended up with 24gm sliders and love it. Love the power when I need it. The 26gm helped with the vibrations when starting off from a stop, but the 24s will push you back in your seat. Lower weights will cost you in MPG.
Thanks for the information vibration was deciding factor i'm happy with the stock performance. However they do have that jet ski sound.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 1:05 am

Hi mpenny and welcome to the best SWing site on the net. I have an 08 SWing and just finished my third season on it. It does surprise a lot or "real" motorcycle riders when you show them what it's got. I ride with a group here in MN and there are lots of different makes in the group. The first ride I went on with them I got somewhat sideways glances at it. But once we were on the highway the respected it because I kept up with them very nicely. It seemed like I had to shift because I had to back off the throttle when they shifted to keep from running into them, so to speak. We'll ride 200 miles sometimes just to get Ice Cream. Any excuse for a ride.

Again welcome welcome
Back to top Go down
mpenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mpenny

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Dale N. wrote:
Hi mpenny and welcome to the best SWing site on the net. I have an 08 SWing and just finished my third season on it. It does surprise a lot or "real" motorcycle riders when you show them what it's got. I ride with a group here in MN and there are lots of different makes in the group. The first ride I went on with them I got somewhat sideways glances at it. But once we were on the highway the respected it because I kept up with them very nicely. It seemed like I had to shift because I had to back off the throttle when they shifted to keep from running into them, so to speak. We'll ride 200 miles sometimes just to get Ice Cream. Any excuse for a ride.

Again welcome welcome
Thanks, riding motorcycles is pure therapy keeps us young:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1