Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby Marvincon Today at 4:49 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Another Newbie

Go down 
+9
Mike from NS
john grinsel
"Hi Yo"
oldwingguy
poppajim
steve_h80
2wheelgal
Cookie
Sandy S
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Sandy S
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-10-21

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 1:58 pm

I don't have a scooter yet but I am looking for one I can afford and my husband is very supportive of me riding.
He rides a Goldwing GL1800.
I am looking to start riding a Honda Silverwing.
Never rode anything before but I feel I can do this since it is an automatic.
Am I terrified.....hell yeah!
I live in NW NJ in the country, so no traffic but lots of scenery.
:flower:
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi Sandy and welcome to the forum.
Normally I would think that a Silverwing is a bit heavy for a first bike but that's mainly when it comes to wheeling it around or doing U turns etc. Your husband should be pretty used to hefting his Goldwing around so he should be able to give you some tips and guidance in that department.

Sounds like you're in a great place to learn to ride... no traffic! Never heard of such a thing, not round here anyway.

Don't worry about being terrified. The day you stop being a little bit wary is the day you stop concentrating.

Good luck, take it easy, enjoy the learning and have some fun.
Oh, and enjoy that scenery - it will look even better from the seat of a bike!
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Welcome to this forum Sandy, it's nice to have another lady on the forum. Don't be scared of the Silverwing, take it slow, just keep a cool head when you start to ride, take your time and get the feel of the bike and you will be fine. Then you will have a lot of FUN!!

Jane
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 4:00 pm

Get some professional training before you do anything else, preferably on something smaller and lighter. The public road is not the place to figure out the basics on a big, heavy bike, and wear proper riding gear including gloves.
It's not like driving a car.
Boring lecture over.
Having said that go for it, it's top entertainment and silverwings are surprisingly capable motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 4:20 pm

Sandy, I don't know if you have considered a training course before you ride as Steve mentioned. Here in the US there is a Motorcycle Safety Course for new riders. Perhaps you husband is familiar with it since he rides a Gold Wing. There is a cost to the course but it's the best thing a new rider can do. They furnish the bikes, most are in the 250cc range, along with some of the safety gear. You have to wear a long sleeved jacket, long pants, boots and gloves to ride the range portion of the course. There is classroom training as well. It is usually a weekend course, Friday evening, Saturday and part of the day on Sunday. I believe once you pass the course your are granted your motorcycle endorsement so you don't have to go to the DMV and take the endorsement test on their course. Just something to think about to help make you a safe rider.
Back to top Go down
Sandy S
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments.
Since I ride as a passenger, I have all the gear necessary. I have been a passenger for over 20 years. My hubby wants me to take the 3 day course too and I will be doing that. I am super excited and will not ride until I get some training AND I don't have a bike yet! Lol! :flower:
Back to top Go down
poppajim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2016-10-09

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi folks I am poppajim and Sandy's husband. I have taken the Motorcycle Safety course a number of times, it is required by most riding clubs to be a road captain, which I have been for quite some time. Sandy for got to mention my GL1800 is triked with a Roadsmith Kit. New Jersey offers a number of couses starting from beginner to experienced. They even have a beginner trike course where if you pass you get a Trike License only not good far a 2wheel motorcycle. Either way I will encourage her to get the proper training, she is my sweety. Thanks for your concerns.
Back to top Go down
Sandy S
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 8:37 pm

I think he's a keeper
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 9:47 am

Welcome aboard Sandy, as a former G'Wing owner I'll say the S'Wing is a whole new experience, but a good one once you get the hang of it. MFS and going on with the GWRRA levels program was an educational enjoyable experience for me.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Another Newbie 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 4:15 pm

welcome welcome welcome

You might check the for sale section on this forum. I know there have been some good deals in the past (I got one) and for the most part they have been well maintained. Good luck for riding up front.

small moped small moped small moped
Back to top Go down
Sandy S
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2016 11:43 am

SilverWing is not a good first bike----too heavy and powerful. Get the MSF training and license before riding on street.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 1:03 pm

Sandy,

What John says should be seriously considered. He has the experience that we should listen to. My story: Took the course (first time on 2 wheels) and found a Silverwing for sale during that time. One of the course instructors, who owns a Silverwing, volunteered to check it out for me and coach me on it to build up some handling skills. I lucked out !! ( Another of the instructors felt it was too big as a first bike.) The biggest scooter on the course was a 150 Aprillia. The Silverwing is about 247kg, the Aprilia about 122kg. And at about 7000 rpm the Silverwing develops about 50HP to the Aprilia's 11.

But if you have strength in the legs and are a strong lady you probably won't have any problems once you get accustom to the weight and power of the Silverwing -- with the slightest twisting of the throttle. Slow & smooth twisting. Put in lots of practice in a parking lot at first (after the course)---NOT on the roadways.

All the best ... let us know how you make out!
Mike
Back to top Go down
Sandy S
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 3:41 pm

Many thanks for all the pointers. I am trying to get into a scooter training course for everyone's safety including my own. I know the dangers of riding since I have been a passenger in 2 motorcycle clubs for over 20 years. I have the gear and the ambitions and will gets the training before attempting. If I feel that I cannot handle a Silverwing, I will be disappointed but I am not going to risk my life. A burgman is lighter and less powerful BUT I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 11:32 pm

Sandy,
I see a lot of users are concerned that the Swing is too heavy/powerful for a beginner bike. No one is saying that you cannot get a Swing at a later date when you get some time and miles under your belt. Get a scooter in the 200-300cc range to learn on then move up to the Swing when you know you are ready.
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2016 7:08 am

My first maxi scooter was a Kymco Grand Dink 250cc. I trained with it one season and moved to a Gilera Nexus 500 cc, that served me good 10 years. I was happy to find a good bargain for Honda SW 600  -10 with 3500 kms just a couple of months ago.
It´s for your own joy and safety to move upwards step by step. If you buy a scooter that you´re not sure you can handle, the fun is not there. So you made the right decision to get a less powerful scooter.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Welcome Sandy,

My first and only bike is a Silverwing.  I wanted one big enough to keep up with my husbands BMW R1200GS. It does a great job.  I have ridden over 63,000 miles in 38 states since I got it 6 years ago.

I had no problem.  I took it slow and took the MSF course.  I have enjoyed the SW for the last 6 years.  Good luck in finding your new ride.  You will enjoy this forum.  Lot's of helpful information and friendly people.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2016 12:48 am

Welcome to the forum.

I ride an 1800 as well.

I agree that the 600cc maxi scooter is too big for a first bike. My girl friend would agree. She is riding a 2011 Honda 125cc PCX that will go 55 mph with my wide butt on it. She will be upgrading to a Suzuki 400cc next riding season. She is 135 lbs and 5'5" and athletic.

She took the motorcycle safety course and they used 250cc motorcycles for training. If she wanted a motorcycle, she would buy the 250cc Honda Rebel, but her goal is to ride a 400cc Maxi Scooter.

I ride a 600cc Honda Silverwing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Newbie   Another Newbie I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Newbie
Page 1 of 1