Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from New Jersey

Go down 
+6
Cookie
oldwingguy
Mike from NS
Cosmic_Jumper
Easyrider
poppajim
10 posters
AuthorMessage
poppajim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-10-09

Hello from New Jersey Empty
PostSubject: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Hello from NJ. My name is Jim and I ride a gl1800 Roadsmith Trike. The reason for joining is my wife wants to get her license and we are thinking Honda Silverwing. My want to find a Trike.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2016 9:28 pm

The Swing 600 maybe too heavy and powerful for a beginner. Start her out on a 250-300 cc scooter. She could move up to the Swing later when she is ready. Even a trike may be dangerous on a down hill curve as you probably already know. Don't put her on a bike that she may fear and/or dislike.
Back to top Go down
poppajim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Thanks for your input and concern Easyrider. I will keep that in mind. I myself was thinking a Suzuki Berman Trike. She needs automatic so opions are few.
Jim

PS What size is the Maxi Scooter
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2016 11:13 pm

poppajim wrote:
<>PS. What size is the Maxi Scooter

Welcome to the forum,  Jim

Not sure of your question, but the "first" maxi scooter was the Honda Helix. With 250ccs a great starter maxi scoot and an absolute joy to ride but, with a top speed of ~72mph, comes up a bit wanting when it comes to freeway speeds. Still lots of them around. 

Other starter maxi scoots with better freeway speeds might be a Honda Reflex (250cc), Honda Forza (300cc), Yamaha Majesty (400cc) and a Suzuki Burgman 400.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Hello from Nova Scotia Jim !

If your wife is a strong lady with good strength in the legs, a Silverwing should not be a great problem for her to handle.  If not sure of balance and therefore the thoughts of a trike .... stop there. A trike can be quite unstable.  (The Can Am Spyders with the single wheel in the rear, are more stable than the trike arrangement.)  But take a close look at the Silverwing.  Many feel it is too powerful and too heavy as the first bike.  For me, it is my first bike and before "the course" I had never been on anything with 2 wheels other than a bicycle.  I started on my 3 years ago and have loved every minute riding it.  Sure there is a learning curve but just take it easy ... no rush ... and in a year or two she will have confidence and skill.  Most important thing is that she wants to go with a Silverwing. If she wants something smaller ... then that is where to start.
Mike
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Hello and welcome from o-HI-o. I've seen a S'Wing trike and if that's what it takes to ride I say go for it.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 5:18 am

Hello Jim and welcome to the forum.
Whatever you and your good lady decide I hope you both enjoy it.
Should your wife get a Silverwing, she'll probably have to guard against you keeping pinching it!

Have fun and stay safe.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 6:07 pm

Hello. From Allentown PA.
Learning curve is steep for new riders. Check with local dealers or NJ DOT for motorcycle training places, many times its free. Here in PA. it is. Best to take a new rider safety class, then your wife can decide if shes ready. Best to get a basic understanding of safety and controls first.
I bought a small scooter for my wife, tried to teach her myself. She did OK at first but crashed and didn"t want to try it again.
Trike can't fall but it can still ?????
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 6:43 pm

I wouldn't feel happy on a trike unless it was a "reverse" trike (two wheels at the front).

Try braking and turning on a normal trike!

And consider the back wheels push it straight while the unloaded/light front tries to turn it.

Didn't anyone see the episode of Top Gear where Jezza turns over a Reliant trike?
Back to top Go down
poppajim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Thank you all for the input , we know there is a learning curve . It took me quite a while to get used to my GL1800 Roadsmith Trike and she was on the back during this process. Will keep that in mind. Thats what great about forums people are friendly and have much knowledge to pass forward. Ride Safe all.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 12:17 am

Hello from Seattle.

A 600cc Silverwing has plenty of power to use as a trike. I have seen one from time to time.

I ride an 1800 as well. 2002 ABS.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 3:08 pm

poppajim,
Please let the forum know what your wife gets. Have her take the learners class before getting a bike. She may learn that she doesn't want a bike after all.

Last edited by Easyrider on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2016 10:18 am

Welcome aboard the board Jim. Have your wife take a good riding course, start small (250 cc+) and work her way up. She just may fins that something like the Suzuki Burgman 400 or the Yamaha Majesty 400 is just right for her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Jersey   Hello from New Jersey I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from New Jersey
Page 1 of 1