Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Boots that work I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Boots that work

Go down 
+13
Mech 1 twa
bikehiker
GeoffM
Greysilver
ozzman
oldwingguy
exavid
dekare
Meldrew
Easyrider
phils a winger
steve_h80
john grinsel
17 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 8:04 am

Good boots are a necessary part of two wheel riding for me, tennis shoes don't cut it.

Protection is helpful, although I doubt if anybody ever died from foot injury. Lace on safer than slip on in get off.

As most of the riders here are older....and tip overs hurt more, the boot sole not slipping as you put foot or feet down important.

High boots work fine as you can tuck jeans in and avoid the tiring pants flapping on long rides.

Boots that I am using right now:

Wolverine WO4827 about 12 in. high, 100% waterproof even after 2 or three years hard use, slip on, comfortable in hot or cold temps. Not cheap, @ $180 or so. Do not slip on pavement, like gas stations.

Aerostich Combat Lites....with cleated sole $347. Work fine, comfortable, warm in winter with rubber over boots. 11 in. tall, easy on/off----seem to last forever with re-soling. I have had also one pair of Aero Combat Touring boots @ $387....prefer the Lites. Waterproof a little----but I am sure after 3-4 days in the rain, you get wet feet---work well with rubber over boots. Had a friend sell them on ebay to somebody who wanted to look like he rode a lot---recovering most of my original purchase price.

Last---Red Wing 8" Irish Setter......now near $200, available internationally, with re-soling last 10 years or so. Great for walking. Not waterproof/too short to tuck pants in. I have been wearing them for over 40 years. One of the few boots you can buy with the leather insoles as part of boot. Soles do not slip, even in snow.

When living in Europe a few years ago, I tried "Road Racing" type boots--made my feet sweat in summer cold in winter.

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 997
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 3:09 pm

For the big bike I use Altbergs, comfy on and off the bike, utterly waterproof.
On the silverwing use either leather army boots or old pair of bike boots, due to the leg shields waterproofing isn't really that necessary.
Having said that if I was off for a tour on th sw I'd take the Altbergs because they can do everything.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 3:47 pm

I use the bike boots that Aldi sell, £30, comfortable water proof to a point and usually last a couple of years
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 4:35 pm

I use Wolverine W08141 boots. it is waterproof and very comfortable. I can use it all day when working around the house. I do treat it once a year with a silicone waterproof spray. The soles resist oil and slippage.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 5:25 pm

Boots that work for me are Hi-Tec Magnums, I've been wearing them for riding in for many years. I fitted them with eyelet zippers for easy on and off, they're more or less waterproof, and they're all day comfortable. I have had other boots for maxi riding but they haven't been as good.

If I do need heavier boots, I have a pair of Alt-berg military style bike boots that I had made in Richmond, North Yorkshire. Alt-berg make a lot of military boots for the squaddies in nearby Catterick Garrison, and while they're very fine well crafted boots, they're just a tad too heavy for clumping about in.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Through trial and error, I've settled with tennis shoes for when I'm just cruising the neighborhood at 35 MPH or less.

I jump up to a mesh motorcycle boot for speeds in excess of 35 MPH. Light and comfortable.

I used to wear an aggressive soled leather Red Wing boot, but learned they are hot, heavy and bulky.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 7:37 pm

But if you fall off----the Red Wings will offer some protection....and probably not be knocked off. You sound to me like you don't ride much or have not ridden much. How does mesh boot work in rain or snow/cold?
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 8:10 pm

john grinsel wrote:
But   if you fall off----the Red Wings will offer some protection....and probably not be knocked off.  You sound to me like you don't ride much or have not ridden much.   How does mesh boot work in rain or snow/cold?

I agree. Full leather boots would offer greater protection. There is a trade-off though.

I would bet the feet would get wet in rain, snow, I have no business riding in and cold, I bet the feet would be cold. For that reason I still have the leathers for the two types of weather I might ride in, cold and rain.

My feet in the leather Red Wings would get so darned hot, and they were clumsy to wear. What a difference the Danner boots made, 1/3 the weight and a breeze to keep the feet cool. So, yes some sacrifice in total leather protection, but then again, some thought needs to be given to how safe an uncomfortable rider is.

Boots that work 20160914
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 1:32 am

Danner Striker 11" my grandson calls them my 'cop' boots'. They're lace up with side zippers in black leather. Non slip soles, lightweight and comfortable for riding and walking which is a rare combination. The come in solid leather or leather with breathable side panels. Soles have great tread if you also ride a motorcycle because the tread isn't so lugged that you can't shift your foot on the brake or shift levers.

http://www.danner.com/striker-torrent-side-zip-8-black.html?currency=USD&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA%20-%20Products&utm_term=1100300094085&utm_content=PLA%20-%20Law%20Enforcement

Last edited by exavid on Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 997
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 2:09 am

One thing to avoid are steel toecap boots,. In event an accident they can make a real mess of your feet.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 6:44 am

Wellington style leather with Gortex tops and Vibram soles from Rocky boots, bought 2 pair years ago the last pair is just starting to show wear on the soles.
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ozzman

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2015-03-27

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Boots work only so good until you lose the battle by snapping some bones because your boot got twisted wrong.

Boots that work Small_DSC_0578
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2018 12:33 am

I wear light weight boots made for BMW. Zip up, large velcro flap across the top. Secure and they are vented for hot weather (which is mostly) in Arizona. No laces to catch! Comfortable.
Back to top Go down
GeoffM
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2018-01-15

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2018 6:06 am

I've been using a pair of Sidi rain boots for 15 years, totally waterproof, and light and comfortable, and you can still get them too. Soles on mine getting a bit worn now. So shall invest in some more soon.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 pm

GeoffM, that looks like a good boot recommendation. I checked their site, and according to the specs, there's a lot more in those boots than just waterproofing. Seems they also have good breatheability and protection features.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 7:52 pm

GeoffM wrote:
I've been using a pair of Sidi rain boots for 15 years, totally waterproof, and light and comfortable, and you can still get them too. Soles on mine getting a bit worn now. So shall invest in some more soon.

Boots can be resoled. I never had it done but have read of others that have. Search old school places that repair shoes and boots.

I like Sidi boots for warm weather and rain but can get cold feet if temps drop. My feet seem to be getting larger with age normal I guess worn body parts . Wider
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 pm

I just bought a pair of women's magnum tactical boots. Comfortable and a great grip. Easy on and off with inner zip. Wind and waterproof as well.

Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 12:36 am

In town I just wear my sneakers but on the road for a trip I wear these. They are good quality leather boots and I spray them down once a year with Camp Dry spray. I can walk in water as long as I don't go over the lowest part of the tongue my feet stay dry. I should add that the lowest part of the tongue is about where the laces are just below the middle of the boots.
Boots that work Boots_10

Boots that work Boots_11
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 4:26 am

Osprey wrote:
I just bought a pair of women's magnum tactical boots.  Comfortable and a great grip.  Easy on and off with inner zip.  Wind and waterproof as well.  

I like Magnums, I've worn the same pair of basic Magnum boots for many years. They're not waterproof as I bought mine long before waterproof and zippered versions were available.

I replaced the laces with an eyelet zipper that covers the boot tongue, and I polish them regularly so they're pretty weatherproof. They're still in very good condition and they're very comfortable to wear off the scoot.

Now and again I'll look at the latest versions of Magnums, 9:11, and Bates boots and think about buying a pair, I have to remind myself I've a pair of hand made heavier waterproof Alt-Berg boots than I've hardly ever worn.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 7:38 am

Meldrew wrote:

I like Magnums, I've worn the same pair of basic Magnum boots for many years. They're not waterproof as I bought mine long before waterproof and zippered versions were available.

Now and again I'll look at the latest versions of Magnums, 9:11, and Bates boots and think about buying a pair, I have to remind myself I've a pair of hand made heavier waterproof Alt-Berg boots than I've hardly ever worn.

Meldrew, sadly I think you'll find the new magnum boots are no match to the quality of the originals & worn for hours the new boots don't seem to wick so smell after many hours wear (or I've developed stinky feet as I've aged).

Mine always wore out on the right sole due to the high mileage driven & ridden.

Altberg are quality despite the weight and their roadmaster motorcycle boot is unbeatable and the reason it's issued to emergency service riders.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 7:55 am

I rotate 3 pairs of boots. I have a steel-toed Dicky's set that are heavy but do allow some breathing, I have a pair of Lugs that breathe very well and are comfortable but don't wear like the others. For cold weather I have a pair of high harness boots (similar to what hog riders use but higher on the calf and they are brown. As they come up high and have no breathing (zippers or laces) and they tuck inside my pants no air gets in so they are fairly warm. These are treated with mink oil so are somewhat waterproof. But that said I don't ride much below 30 degrees F.

As I also do most of my riding in Arizona or nearby, rain is not a big concern as in other parts of the country.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boots that work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boots that work   Boots that work I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Boots that work
Page 1 of 1