Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

actual fuel range

Go down 
+7
GHM-PM
Chilliwing
MikeO
The Scootist
Cookie
Meldrew
steve_h80
11 posters
AuthorMessage
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 4:53 pm

So I filled up today at 130 miles and put 11.2 litres in there.
This gives me a theoretical range of about 185 miles, which is kinda nice.
But how much usable fuel does the 16 litre tank hold? Often there is some space reserved for expansion.
Plan 2 it to put a gal of gas in a fuel container and ride it till it stops :-)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 5:35 pm

I've gone 170 miles or more quite a few times without all the bars extinguished and reserve flashing, I used to think I'd like to try for 200 miles and carry a reserve can under the seat in case, then like a lot of other "projects" I lost interest. It's enough to know I can normally go at least 150 miles or more at motorway speeds before I start looking for the next fuel stop. Usually it's a full bladder not an empty tank that prompts me to stop earlier.

That theory works for me,but a few years ago I brimmed the tank at Penrith, flogged the scooter over the A66 Pennines to Scotch Corner, and down the A1(M) to York, picked up Mrs M, and then rode down to Squires Cafe in time to take part in a charity ride, we then got back on the A1(M) with a couple of hundred other riders up to Catterick Garrison. A place I'd rode past only a couple of hours previously on the way down. By the time we got there the reserve was flashing and luckily I filled up within a couple of miles, I'd used that tankful up in about 130 miles.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 5:39 pm

The most I've managed is 210 miles with a couple of litres remaining but that was taking it quite easy and was on a longish run. I've done a few fill ups at about 200 miles and there's been two or three litres left.

I don't check it every fill up but I do from time to time and allowing for what's left the range would be about 220 or so.

I usually fill up on the way out unless I've got enough to do the planned ride but otherwise I start to look for garages at around 180 or so miles.

I found a Honda diagram that showed the amount of fuel for each segment on the gauge. The interesting thing was that the amount of fuel used when the first bar goes out is about the same as the amount left when down to the one flashing bar.
So you should be good for 45 miles or so when down to the last flashing bar. I've never tried it that far but I've done 30 miles with the bar flashing a couple of times.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 9:46 am

The owners manual says the tank holds 4.2 US gallons and the reserve indicator light comes on when you have about 0.92 gallons remaining. If you average at least 50 mpg, then you should be able to squeeze 200 miles out of a tank. Also note as Cookie mentioned in their post, the amount of fuel consumed per bar seems to vary a little. During the first bar I usually get around 50 miles, then for the next few bars I get around 15 miles, the second to the last bar around 25 miles, then the last bar (flashing) should be good for about 45 miles or so. Several times I have exceeded 200 miles on one tank of gas, but usually start to look for a gas station when the last bar starts to flash, as I would hate to end up walking...
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 12:59 pm

I found the diagram that I mentioned. The text is not in English but it's the diagram bit that is relevant.

actual fuel range Fuel_g10

So the last bar should be the same as the first. In real terms it could be a bit less since (if you're anything like me) you brim the tank right up into the neck when filling up.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 3:41 pm

Based on my weekend's riding and log-keeping, I get roughly 60 miles from the first block on the petrol gauge.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 12:09 am

On trip I count on 50 miles or 80 kms on the last bar and carry a 1 litre gas bottle for insurance. Last year on the Oregon Coast I was pushing my luck and rode into a gas station on fumes! Ever since that I have carried the gas bottle.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 am

I traveled 212.3 miles on a tank several years ago! Last bar was flashing and was on HWY 395 outside Yosemite, in California. Not many gas stations around there... On that particular tank I averaged 58.2 MPG US. So actually had some left, amazing for sure. I do not normally push it that far Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
actual fuel range 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 1:30 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
 I do not normally push it that far Rolling Eyes

Luckily, you didn't have to push it at all. Laughing
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 5:10 pm

After the winter drive line tune up I just completed my first good ride, mostly country at 50 to 70 mph. 167 miles 3.09 gal to fill up. 54 mpg. On day trips like this I normally fill up at home from my can supply, this time at a station for a change. This is better than my 1st guesstimate Smile
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 11:11 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
After the winter drive line tune up I just completed my first good ride, mostly country at 50 to 70 mph. 167 miles 3.09 gal to fill up. 54 mpg. On day trips like this I normally fill up at home from my can supply, this time at a station for a change. This is better than my 1st guesstimate Smile

Ours were very close. I rode 165 miles and used 3.00 gallons exactly. 55 mpg.

Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 1:08 am

Rode 200 mi. S. through Mpls. Mn. Ran out of gas on Interstate 35; scary & not fun. undecided undecided
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

actual fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: actual fuel range   actual fuel range I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

actual fuel range
Page 1 of 1