Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
First ride impression I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First ride impression

Go down 
+9
hankster
exavid
JeffR
phils a winger
MikeO
DaveR
Art
Dale N.
the_mad_rshn
13 posters
AuthorMessage
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-03-11

First ride impression Empty
PostSubject: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 10:59 am

Hey all,

So this morning I took my brand new, 0 miles SWing for a ride. The scooter is huge. I had to stop over at the DMV to get license plates and then off to work. I am getting a custom plate that will say CKAKYH (skah-kuhn), which in Russian means fast horse or racing horse.
What can I say. I am in love. Impressed. The bike is so nimble. I do not want to be rough on her for at least 2-3 hundred miles, to brake her in properly, but, even gently, she would leave anyone in the traffic behind like there is no tomorrow, man. I am in love!!! The scoot also feels so much lighter than my Yamaha Roadstar 1600.

Having a smart watch helped a lot too with the GPS directions. So used to those things now, man :-( I definitely need to come up with some sort of a phone mount, just for that purpose. I also think, I will be getting Boss Audio speaker system very soon.

I loved everything, performance, softness of the ride. There is, however, a MAJOR problem for me. The windshield is good for NOTHING. I am not tall. Only 5-10 (176 cm), but the wind buffeting is horrible. I need to bend down a lot so I do not feel it. What is my solution here? A different windshield? Any suggestions, guys? It does not look like I can raise or change the angle of the stock shield.

Thanks, and I am hap-hap-happy I bought the ride. BTW. did I say that she is HUGE!!! Smile

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 11:04 am

Hi Mad,

Yes the SWings are impressive. I really like mine.

If you're looking for mounts for your phone check out Amazon here: http://tinyurl.com/hx77pe7

I have a Ram mount on my SWing and it holds my phone very nicely and securely.
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 11:17 am

Dale N. wrote:
...I have a Ram mount on my SWing and it holds my phone very nicely and securely.

Thank you, sir. Any way you might have a picture or two of your Ram mount setup?

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 11:26 am

Most on here share your sentiments re the screen, and the Givi airflow or adjustable seems to be their choice
Myself, having moved to the S Wing from a small cruiser with NO screen or other protection, I can't say I agree the screen is good for nothing, (and I'm a 6 feet with a relatively long torso) but there is definitely room for improvement
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 1:19 pm

I have a Ram GPS mount on my left handle bar by the Brake reservoir. It works very well.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Due to the design of the Silverwing, most of the people like the Givi Adjustable. I like the 214 Givi that is not adjustable and cut it down by 2 3/4 inches so I can see over the top of it because of rain etc. These are two of the best. I have a Bestem T box with LED brake light also that I like. Works well for me as it is big enough to put your helmet plus.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi Mad,
Here's the photos of my mount.
The first photo shows where it bolts onto the handlebar screws.
The second shows my adapted phone holder to the mount. I put some of that rubber sticky shelf liner in the holder to keep the phone from vibrating and moving around a bit. It seems to work pretty well.
The third show the four screws that I used to bolt it to the mount.
The last one shows the back and how I bolted it onto the Ram mount.
There are a wide selection of mounts which you can adapt however you want. These are just the ones I chose. I also have a longer arm mount compared to the short one in the last photo. It lets the mount stick out further.

First ride impression Mount110
First ride impression Mount211
First ride impression Mount311
First ride impression Mount411
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 2:33 pm

Thank you everybody. Thank you Dave and Dale. Great information and something that will start me off :-)

So for me first - phone mount, second - windshield. And then possibly the top box. Not sure yet. I also want to get a K&N air filter and a nice, inexpensive slip-on of some sort. I already read on Dr. Pulley 26g thinggy, which I might want to try out too. My wife is going to kill me soon :-)

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 3:05 pm

Don't be too gentle when running it in, just keep the revs down a bit. The odd blast away from the lights will help bed everything in.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 4:40 pm

i run standard screen with a adjustable add on like a small second screen that acts as a spolier and keeps the wind off my helmet and the rain mostly off my visor, only had to clean my visor twice this winter. Also means i look over the screen not through it, had a large screen on a yamaha 250 xmax and you end up looking through it, ok when clean, not so good when dirty and you have oncoming traffic trying to blind you!
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 5:50 pm

phils a winger wrote:
i run standard screen with a adjustable add on like a small second screen that acts as a spolier...

Thank you. Do you know by any chance the brand of it?

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 6:44 pm

I had the stock windshield, XL Clearview with vent, standard Givi, and the Givi airflow and I will say the airflow was the best. You can also adjust it up and down quite a bit so if it is hot just lower it and get all the air you want. It also give the smoothest ride and didn't seem to be effected by the draft of semi-trucks. I had the XL Clearview with the vent and it flexed like crazy. It gave the best weather protection but just flexed too much for me. I think they fixed the problem though.

The second screen, or spoiler, is something like the Laminar Lip. I have one on my CTX700 on my Cee Bailey and it works good but I don't think they sell a spoiler that would be big enough to give you a nice buffet free ride IMO.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks all of you for a ton of great info. So far, I guess, it looks like the standard Givi is the cheapest option. Just went for another short ride and the buffeting is really killing me. Wow. So unpleasant and irritating.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Mad,

If you get the Standard Givi you may feel a bit of back pressure that pushes your helmet forward.  What you can do is cut it down a bit, since they are pretty tall, and it will help reduce the back pressure.  I'm 6' tall but I seem to have a tall torso, so I sit high in the seat, and I still cut mine down about 1 1/2".  I did not do a good job but others have done this and it turned out good.  You might want to search the site to see how they did this.  I should have taken mine to a glass shop and have them do it but I didn't. They are good shields and very sturdy.

Here is a link for the Cee Bailey and they are only $100 for the tall screen. I don't know if others have used this screen but I have one for my CTX700 and really like it. Not trying to sell you anything but just a thought:

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/silverwingws.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 10:50 pm

JeffR wrote:

I did not do a good job but others have done this and it turned out good.

Jeff,

Thank you for the link. They do seem and sound like good replacement shields. Worked on a shield once myself. A belt sander is your friend. Using it could make your cut shield look professionally done IMHO.

Cheers,
Mad

Last edited by the_mad_rshn on Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 10:55 pm

I have a Clearview shield on my SWing. It has a bit of back pressure but I like it that way. It sucks the cigarette ashes away from my face when I'm riding which I like. I also have a windproof butane lighter that I can light a cig at 65 mph with. We all have our priorities ya know... 🚬
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 11:55 pm

Welcome to the Mad Russian! Don't waste your time fooling around with the miserable OEM windshield. Give your SW what it deserves and that's the GIVI adjustable. Adjustable for differing conditions and speeds. Almost totally eliminated helmet buffeting for me. I've installed one on one of my Sivlerwings and installed the none adjustable GIVI Airflow on a friend's scooter. To me the non-adjustable screen is just too big. In rainy weather or bad conditions I won't ride without a windshield I can't see over the top. The adjustable can always be lowered when conditions require seeing over the top of the screen.
If you do go for the GIVI do order and use the reinforcement brackets, they call them an installation kit. It makes for a much stronger installation and reduces windshield vibration in gusty conditions.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 12:11 am

If you want to go with the GIVI get the Kappa branded version via eBay. It is the exact same thing and will cost much less. The Kappa is $168 shipped from Italy (takes 12 days to get here) vs $228 for the Givi. The mounting brackets are included with the Kappa.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAF214-AF214-KAPPA-GIVI-WIND-SCREEN-HONDA-SILVER-WING-600-2001-2009-WINDSHIELD-/262326834094?hash=item3d13e5d3ae:g:HaYAAOSwl9BWI0b~&vxp=mtr

Note: I've purchased my windshield, topbox and leg shields from Italy and have not had a problem. Has saved me $200+ over US prices.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 4:38 am

I tried a Laminar Lip on the stock screen; it made some improvement but not as much as I'd experienced with one on my X9.
If I'd bought the Laminar 'Ears' it probably would have been better ..... but I didn't.

I think the fundamental problem with the stock screen that it is not wide enough.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Hankster - That looks like a great buy on eBay. Wish I'd found one when I bought the GIVI version.
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 1:33 pm

hankster wrote:
If you want to go with the GIVI get the Kappa branded version via eBay. It is the exact same thing and will cost much less. The Kappa is $168 shipped from Italy (takes 12 days to get here) vs $228 for the Givi. The mounting brackets are included with the Kappa.

Note: I've purchased my windshield, topbox and leg shields from Italy and have not had a problem. Has saved me $200+ over US prices.

Thank you, all for your great advice. Thank you, hankster for the link. I just ordered the airflow by Kappa.
Also just ordered some ram mounts and the Boss Audio BT sound system. man. My wife will kill me :-)

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Mad, I think you will be happy. It took mine about 12 days to get here, worth the wait to save $80! Check out the Italy supplier if you ever want a Givi box, can save big $$$$.My B47N Blade top box was $181 compared to $242 from the US. I think Kappa also carries the top boxes so it might even be a better deal there.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 9:11 pm

The price and brand of a top box is not the most import issue.
Beware there is a huge difference between the carrying capacity of the monolock and monokey Givi Box. The monolock is rated at a miserable 3 kg, whilst the monokey is 10kg, more than three times as much. I would not buy monolock if it was the quarter of the price.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Works great for me. I only keep riding gear in the box. I would never put anything heavy in any box up that high. Just makes the scooter too top heavy.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 11:14 pm

hankster wrote:
Works great for me. I only keep riding gear in the box. I would never put anything heavy in any box up that high. Just makes the scooter too top heavy.

I disagree, what is a top box loaded up with 10kg compared to a pillion who weighs 50-80kg with most of the weight above centre of gravity? I don't always load it up but it is better I can even if I don't need than I need but I can't.
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 1:50 am

Hey, gents. No fighting Smile

I will be ordering the Bestem 2012 top box, most likely Smile Thanks again for all advice.

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 6:53 am

gremlin wrote:
hankster wrote:

I disagree, what is a top box loaded up with 10kg compared to a pillion who weighs 50-80kg with most of the weight above centre of gravity? I don't always load it up but it is better I can even if I don't need than I need but I can't.

I agree gremlin, I have often carried some heavy stuff in my top box and can't really say I've noticed much difference.
Any slight changes to handling soon disappear after a few miles as you get used to them anyway.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 7:53 am

hankster wrote:

Too topheavy for what exactly? I don't have a problem loading up my Givi E55 top box with overnight kit for ferry crossings, groceries, or anything else I can shove in there and close the lid on. This 'top boxes ruin handling' is as much of a fallacy as 'loud pipes save lives'.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 8:03 am

the_mad_rshn wrote:
Hey, gents. No fighting Smile
Mad

Hope you are happy with your top box, they are one of the most useful accessories.

And............ this is no fighting. The forum is made up of a multitude of riders with different views and experiences. We voice our differences, share our problems and experiences and that is what makes this forum great.
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 2:02 pm

WOW. I am so impressed with the Kappa windshield seller from Italy. I placed the order yesterday at around 1:30 pm and it should arrive by DHL in 2 days from today, Monday. No way, man!!! Can't wait to put it on.

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 2:50 pm

the_mad_rshn wrote:
WOW. I am so impressed with the Kappa windshield seller from Italy. I placed the order yesterday at around 1:30 pm and it should arrive by DHL in 2 days from today, Monday. No way, man!!! Can't wait to put it on.

Cheers,
Mad

Good news Mad, that is FAST! Let's hope it really does arrive then! Let us know.
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 2:59 pm

hankster wrote:

Good news Mad, that is FAST! Let's hope it really does arrive then! Let us know.

Thank you. That's what the tracking system is telling me. Let's see.

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 4:08 pm

the_mad_rshn wrote:
hankster wrote:

Thank you. That's what the tracking system is telling me. Let's see.

Cheers,
Mad
I just went back and looked at my order and see why yours is getting here sooner. Mine came UPS Ground, yours is coming DHL. Good deal!
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 9:01 am

So with a little over 120 miles on the SW I want it all. Let's see what I got now on order:
Boss Audio with BT
AirFlow windshield
Tob Box 2012
GPR slip-on muffler
LED rear turn signal red light bulbs
Ram mount for my phone

Oh boy!!!

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 6:26 pm

I know I am super new here and don't know the rules, but is it OK on this forum to hijack threads?

Thank you.
Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 7:54 pm

the_mad_rshn wrote:
I know I am super new here and don't know the rules, but is it OK on this forum to hijack threads? Thank you.
Cheers,
Mad

Yes, the topic did stray off point. Hijacked stuff split off to "Helmet storage and Underseat Light" topic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First ride impression   First ride impression I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First ride impression
Page 1 of 1