Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cruise Control

Go down 
+12
DerrillW
Cookie
gremlin
exavid
GHM-PM
Meldrew
katschamne
oldwingguy
Dale N.
john grinsel
MikeO
canhead
16 posters
AuthorMessage
canhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-06-26

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 am

Anyone out there ever put a throttle lock on your swing?  If so, who sells it and how do you like it?   I had one on my 84 Aspencade which worked very well and would like to put one on my swing.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 11:53 am

There's a thread or two here - always worth using the Search Engine:

https://www.silverwing600.com/search?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=throttle+lock&show_results=topics
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 2:50 pm

NEP available from Aerostich works fine---some mods necessary. about $22 for stop.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 3:34 pm

http://tinyurl.com/jjv4jpx

This is the kind I've used on several of my bikes and on my SWing. It's simple and works great.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 5:29 pm

I have a Go Cruise on mine, a handy thing to have.
Back to top Go down
katschamne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2015-02-11

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 5:48 pm

I had the Vista Cruise and now I have have Throttlemeister. If you want to save some money go with the Vista Cruise. It is much cheaper and it is easily disabled and installed. I ended up with the Throttlemeister because looks better and it is sturdier. I went with the heavier ones because I wanted to cut down on the vibrations from the engine because it was making my hand go numb.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 6:07 pm

oldwingguy wrote:

My Go Cruise still resides rent free in the lid pocket of my Givi E55 where it's stayed new and unused since early 2011. I check up on it occasionally and rest assured if I ever find a road that's straight enough and boring enough I'll consider using it.

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 6:24 pm

I use mine when I can even if it's just a mile or two, gives the gimpy throttle hand a rest, needed more as the day wears on.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 9:10 pm

All good information but technically NONE of these (including the Crampbuster I use) are "cruise controls". My Goldwing has a true cruise control and it is awesome! If I could move it to my SWing I would sell the big wing...

The Burgman Executive has a real cruise control, sadly Honda chose to not go this route. No

Flame on!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:18 pm

I installed a Kaoko which is a variation on the Throttlemeister. I like it better than the Throttlemeister I had on my K1100LT because with its cogged rim it's easier to use. I do have an electronic Rostra Cruise Control that I'm planning on installing on my GT once the warranty runs out. I don't know how well one will work with a CVT but if I can work it out it would be worth it. Shouldn't be too hard once I figure out the mounting and cable routing. The ABS brakes provide a fine speed input to a cruise control. If it works out later on this year I'll be sure to post the results. I don't know how one could rig one up on a non ABS bike with a CVT since there's no solid connection between engine RPMs and bike speed. With ABS the bike has a wheel speed sensor on each wheel either of which would provide the speed info to the CC.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 pm

Meldrew wrote:
oldwingguy wrote:

My Go Cruise still resides rent free in the lid pocket of my Givi E55 where it's stayed new and unused since early 2011. I check up on it occasionally and rest assured if I ever find a road that's straight enough and boring enough I'll consider using it.

I wholeheartedly agree with that! I never use the cruise control in my car, because I constantly change speed, even if it is only marginally and it takes away from the enjoyment of driving. This is even more true for my SW; maybe if I still lived in the Northern Territory with the next big town 1500 km away I might use it. It is of course a different matter for those who suffer from problems with their hands. I have a big problem with my left hand, but thankfully I can just rest that flat on the handlebar and brake lever.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Different strokes for different... I used to get my GW out on the road, set the cruise control and let the world go by. I think real cruise control is wunderbar. Crossing, Iowa, Nebraska or West Texas a man can go completely mad without one.

Last edited by exavid on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 7:28 am

exavid wrote:
Different strokes for different... I used to get my GW out on the road, set the cruise control and let the world go by. I think real cruise control is wunderbar. Crossing, Iows, Nebraska or West Texas a man can go completely mad without one.

My point exactly! Out here in the West there are loads of long, straight roads so a cruise can really help eat the miles! Last year in West Texas, on I-10 the speed limit is now 80 MPH. I just set the GW cruise on 80 and glided past the ugly parts... For those that comment that they do not need one; you must not be riding enough miles (or more properly the right kind of miles) or you have never tried a "real" cruise on a bike/scooter!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 7:59 am

I bought one of those plastic things which gripped the throttle and 'rested' on the brake lever. Scared the sh*t out of me; I used it for the first time on the E40 in Belgium from Bruges to Calais (in France).
I suppose it's not until one is slightly restricted that one realises just how many little adjustments are made to the speed at which one is travelling on a bike.
I tried it again on the return trip to see if I could see myself getting used to it ....... then I binned it.

P.S. On reflection, I found it more of a distraction than a help.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 8:40 am

That's the Go Cruise you've described, mine looks like a big O spanner, you push the O part over the throttle with the lever bit pointing at 12 o’clock next to your forefinger and thumb. When you reach the speed to cruise at, push the lever down with your forefinger down on top of the brake lever and the Go Cruise hold the throttle open.

They're simply another example of OMF Syndrome...old men farkling! Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 am

Having bought/ridden 35,000 miles one new bike with electronic cruise control (Kawasaki Voyager) I think they are dangerous---they give shot of gas....just when you may not need it.

Throttle stop like NEP work well for wiping nose, etc. Has to been really straight,, boring road to ride with it.

I prefer remaining in control all of the time---except wiping nose
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 9:55 am

That's the one, Meldrew.
At least it was cheap.

I suppose if I was travelling across the Nullarbor Plain with not even a kangaroo in sight I might use something similar but not on European roads, even motorways.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 10:16 am

Drawbacks sure, no where near what the G'Wing has and yes set say at 50 mph it gains speed down hill looses it up hill but it's that distinct advantage of resting the hand that makes me keep mine.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 1:24 pm

I can see how one would be useful on long wide open roads with not much traffic. However, in the uk I don't think such a thing exists. On motorways even in the middle of the night I find I'm frequently adjusting my speed to suit the traffic.
The only wide open and traffic free roads I've seen have been on the television!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 2:22 pm

You are welcome to use our roads anytime Smile be my guest anything from a flat straight for miles road or a lonely twisty turning dip filled run through the hills. It can be anything you like to near off road single paved track to actual off road and all within 50 miles of home base. cheers
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 6:20 am

Thanks Oldwingguy. The roads around your way sound great. Bit far from me though (with lots of water in between!).
However I'll spend a half hour tonight tracing some of them on Google Earth. I enjoy that, although it's a poor substitute for the real thing.
Keep safe and enjoy your riding wherever you happen to be.
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 9:07 am

Cruise control or throttle lock: They each have a purpose but for giving that throttle hand some relief and avoiding the problem of the right hand "going to sleep" while still maintaining control, I think a Throttle Rocker is an excellent choice. It works for me and it is a cheap fix.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 9:16 am

Derrill W, that can be a good choice also but I like the ability to move the arm about a bit, some have both even on a bike with real cruise control.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 1:30 pm

I've installed 'Crampbusters' or Kuryaykn 'Throttle Boss' on most of the bikes I've owned. Even on my Goldwings with electronic cruise control. Being able to hold the throttle with an open hand helps a lot on long hauls. Now with increasing arthritis it's a godsend to be able to hold the throttle by laying the heel of my hand on the Crampbuster instead of gripping the throttle. I can always close my hand if needed for traffic or changing road conditions. Best ten dollars I've spent on the bike.
Friction devices do come in handy, I don't use them for long stretches, mostly just to free my right hand for some reason. That's why I like the Kaoko throttle holder. It's shape allows actuating or releasing it by passing the heel of one's hand over it. The smooth Throttlemeister requires a grip on it to turn it.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Cruise Control 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 4:19 pm

exavid wrote:
Different strokes for different... I used to get my GW out on the road, set the cruise control and let the world go by. I think real cruise control is wunderbar. Crossing, Iowa, Nebraska or West Texas a man can go completely mad without one.

I once traveled from El Paso to Dallas. I guess that explains my madness. scratch
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 9:32 pm

I once traveled from El Paso to Dallas.  I guess that explains my madness.      scratch [/quote]

LOL, Texarkana to San Antonio to ElPaso, as my wife said, will we EVER get out of this state. bounce bounce bounce I explained to my daughter on her first bike trip west, after crossing the big muddy it's miles and miles of nothing but miles punctuated by areas of interest. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 10:00 pm

sheesh, Houston to Kerrville is an all day trip Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bcook01
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-11-05

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2016 1:30 pm

I have had a breakaway for past three years. Works great. Found it to be simple and reliable. Use it with cramp buster. Wouldn't be without it for long runs.

Here is one of the reviews

http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/2002/12/brakeaway-cruise-control-review/

Bob
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 4:34 am

My first bike was a Lambretta LD150 and it was possible to adjust the hand grip to freely return or for there to enough friction on the grip for it to stay in place when I took my right hand off. I talked recently to a friend who has a machine shop with a lathe at home and he made a pair of stainless steel bar end weights for me to go on my honda blackbird, the right hand one has a knurled screw ring built into the end next to the heated grip that I can tighten it and increase the friction on the grip so it stays where I put it. It felt a bit strange at first but now I always ride with the stiffened throttle so I can get either of my hands off!
He has recently started making more of them for other people so I plan on getting him to make a set for the Silverwing.
When I figure out how to do pictures on here I will post some.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 5:21 am

A lot of the older 7 Series BMW boxers had a simple friction screw type cruise control on the throttle body. It worked and unless you knew where it was and what it's purpose was you'd hardly be inclined to use it.

I can't say my riding enjoyment would be improved if I regularly used my simple Go Cruise or if I fitted a more expensive and sophisticated set up, once the novelty wore off I simply wouldn't use it. The Throttle Rockers I've tried have also had novelty value. It isn't hard work holding a Silver Wing throttle open even on an all day ride and making all those instinctive minor throttle adjustments as the road gradient changes. There's no faffing about when overtaking either.

Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 5:32 am

I do agree with you Meldrew I don't use it often, but out on motorways or long stretches of A road after quite a few miles at the same speed, it can be good to get your right hand off to stretch it!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Or to dig in your pocket for a cigarette to light.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 7:55 pm

Be careful riding with friction on the throttle in town or congested places. If something happens the throttle won't snap back to an idle which could cause a dangerous condition especially with a CVT system that won't allow the engine to stall out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cruise Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Control   Cruise Control I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cruise Control
Page 1 of 1