Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Proud New Owner - Hello All!

Go down 
+12
JeffR
cotetoi
Dale N.
"Hi Yo"
john grinsel
AldusFran
bicyclenut
MikeO
Meldrew
billc.
Winger61
Branyers
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2015-10-23

Proud New Owner - Hello All! Empty
PostSubject: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 3:11 pm

Just traded in my Honda Forza for a used 2012 Wing with 8900 miles on the clock. I am super stoked about my trade. This bike feels so much better than the Forza, and the little **** is fast!!! Already thinking about a drivetrain upgrade. Can anyone comment on the Malossi variator, or should I even bother?
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 3:31 pm

welcome
If it ain't broke......................................
You'll soon find out it's fast enough!
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 3:44 pm

That's what I'm thinking, but you know. I love to tinker. I'm looking at exhausts too, but the stock dual exhaust is damn cool looking.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 4:48 pm

There are several other options to consider first. New Windshield (Givi), topbox, Mirror Extensions, Switch for interior light, gps mount, crampbuster, cruiselok .progressive front shocks...these are all useful items to make your ride better.
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 4:52 pm

I'm not much for add-ons, I do like performance mods though. How does one mount a GPS? The handlebars are not standard fare at all! And there's no outlet to plug into!!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 5:19 pm

There's a 12v socket in the left hand glovebox of my Silver Wing that I plug my Garmin into but the UK and Europe have the FJS Silver Wing not the FSC. The handlebars are standard fare, they just have plastic covers on them. One mounts a GPS on top of the left brake reservoir using a RAM mount and RAM arm, or in the centre of the handlebars using a DennisB mount and a RAM ball.

It's all there for you to see in the Accessories and Modifications section of the forum.
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Mine is missing the outlet. There's just a hole with a plug in it Sad
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 5:34 pm

U.S. models only had the hole, no outlet installed.
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 5:36 pm

That's so dumb. I'm just going to use my phone. Can anyone link me to a good RAM mount that doesn't butcher the appearance of the dash?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 4:01 am

Branyers wrote:
 Can anyone link me to a good RAM mount that doesn't butcher the appearance of the dash?

Yes....but tell you what: Google 'RAM mounts', select one or two you think might look okay, post the links and someone will tell you which of your choices is the best.

Welcome, by the way. Wink
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 5:28 am

As others have said, for mounting phone (or other items) RAM Mounts are the best. Brake reservoir mount with an arm and a universal x-grip phone mount does not block dash, keeps phone nearby and can be used with most phones. Can be rotated for portrait or landscape viewing.

Proud New Owner - Hello All! Img_1410

Ram Mount Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base with 1-Inch Ball

Ram Mount Composite Short Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases

Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball

Will cost you about $45 for this set-up on Amazon. Can put a similar mount on other side as well for POV cam, GPS, whatever. Nice thing about the X-Grip phone mount is it fits most phones within size range and you can use with case of choice or even a bag or rain cover over it. (see photo below) They also make a larger x-grip holder if you have a Phablet sized phone. They have optional longer arms or a double jointed/rotating arms that allows for more flexibility in positioning if needed.

Proud New Owner - Hello All! Img_1411

Proud New Owner - Hello All! Img_1412
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 10:19 am

Hello and welcome to a very informative and friendly site cheers
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Performance mods waste of money. As for electronic mounts, ride the thing 5000 miles or so until you make changes/mods.

Riding is most fun!.....and requires complete attention in my book.
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 4:24 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Performance mods waste of money.  As for electronic mounts, ride the thing 5000 miles or so until you make changes/mods.

Riding is most fun!.....and requires complete   attention in my book.

This.  The bike is 150lbs heavier than my Forza and I am still figuring out the best way to get it on and off the centerstand.  Most of the time I just use the sidestand.

This bike has some serious power and I may have jumped the gun by not looking into a Burgman.  But I am stuck with it now Laughing  So begins the love affair. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Proud New Owner - Hello All! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 4:41 pm

[quote="Branyers

The bike is 150lbs heavier than my Forza and I am still figuring out the best way to get it on and off the centerstand.  Most of the time I just use the sidestand.

This bike has some serious power and I may have jumped the gun by not looking into a Burgman.  But I am stuck with it now Laughing  So begins the love affair. Embarassed[/quote

If you put "center stand" into the search box (upper left), You should find helpful posts and tips on putting the scoot on the center stand.

I too have been "stuck" with Silver Wings for about five years and love it. small moped small moped
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 2:41 am

I have also been "stuck" with my 08 SWing for two seasons now and still love it.

The way I put mine on the center stand is to put the stand down until I feel both legs touching the garage floor. I already have my foot on the stand and my left hand on the handlebar. My right hand is grabbing the passenger handle. I push down on the passenger handle then bounce it up while trying to push the center stand into the floor. It's like trying to pull them apart. After you do it a few times it get somewhat easier. My 1974 Honda CB750 actually goes onto the center stand easier than the SWing tho.

Welcome also to the best SWing site on the net.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 10:13 am

I agree with john grinsel 100%. My attention is strictly glued to my riding. I keep my phone in my jacket pocket so I can't hear it and look at incoming calls at a rest stop. It's bad enough with car drivers talking on cell phones and texting here in Tucson .
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 5:57 pm

Branyers, welcome to the forum. The answers to most of your queries about the SWing will be found here. You will also get lots of opinions if that's what you are looking for. This is the place to be for a SWing owner.
As for putting your SWing on the centerstand: two important points
1. You have to push the SWing away from your body. Not the most comfortable feeling when 600 lbs can get away from you in no time.
2. You won't get anywhere until you put the right foot of the centrestand on the ground. As soon as you feel the contact, you seriously step on the thingy, and pull up on the right passenger hand grip, and up it comes.
Don't try this with your slippers. Welding a small square of metal on the step will greatly improve your comfort, and make this easier.  This is a cheap upgrade you should consider.
By the way, the SWing will leave just about anything at the lights; no power mods required.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Welcome to the forum and the Malossi variator is really just a variator with lighter rollers. If you want to get a bit more acceleration and make it even a bit smoother, you should try out 24 or 26 gram Dr Pulley sliders. I have tried many things and the Dr Pulley sliders are by far the most 'bang for your buck' performance mod.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 6:59 pm

I have been practicing, following advice that I found and I am gaining more confidence each time I put the centerstand down. It does feel like it is tipping just as the right side of stand makes contact.

There really isn't anything to dislike about the bike though. It feels solid and very well built. Did I mention fast???

I am fitting a new oem centerstand soon. The one in place has rust and I am not cool with rust of any kind. I would paint it, but I want that durable oem finish.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 4:22 am

Sorry Branyers but over the years I've given up with the Honda durable finish on centre stands. It isn't durable and not a good finish. You'd do much better to get it sand blasted and then check it for absolutely no sign of rust anywhere, then get it powdercoated.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 8:44 am

I've had things like mailboxes and trailer hitches and such that were powdercoated that failed miserably. Brush on Rustoleum is the best finish.
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 9:12 am

The previous owner took good care of my bike, however I believe it sat outside allowing the elements to get to it. I won't let it rust. It will be garaged and I'll use my car when it is raining.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 9:25 am

Use your car when it rains for safety if you will, but I wouldn't worry about letting the Silver Wing get wet.  These bikes are not a rare antique or a hugely expensive luxury car.  They're more like (perish the thought) an appliance.  Use it.  Let it get wet and dirty.  Just wash it off and keep it maintained and it'll be fine.

Last edited by Bash On! on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 9:27 am

HORNBLOWER wrote:
Sorry Branyers but over the years I've given up with the Honda durable finish on centre stands. It isn't durable and not a good finish. You'd do much better to get it sand blasted and then check it for absolutely no sign of rust anywhere, then get it powdercoated.

Yep; if it were that durable, it wouldn't have rusted in the first place. Besides, see my "appliance" post. Cool
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 9:34 am

Yes but the bike is in my care now. Much love it shall receive. The engine on the other hand is going to wish it never met me.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 11:23 am

Branyers wrote:
The engine on the other hand is going to wish it never met me.

This can be avoided by investing in a good set of hand tools, a maintenance manual, the pictorials on here, more patience, and less brute force and ignorance.
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 11:26 am

Oh I maintain my own bikes. What I meant is that this is the largest displacement bike I have ever owned. Therefore performance will be tested frequently. I have no intention of not maintaining her.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Welcome, Branyers!

You'll really enjoy the ride, nice to have you!
Back to top Go down
Branyers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 12:27 pm

Thank you, I have adopted her like one of my own!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proud New Owner - Hello All!   Proud New Owner - Hello All! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Proud New Owner - Hello All!
Page 1 of 1