Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware Empty
PostSubject: Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware   power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 1:26 am

After having my new used SW for about a week, I decided to wire in my GPS and add a power outlet in the left glovebox after reading various post about different methods and having received my copy of the Service Manual. My initial plan was to follow the method that didn't require the removal of the panels, but I was removing the front cover to install the GPS mount and power off of the switched headlamp circuit, so I figured what's an extra couple of panels to remove.

Purchased this 12' Cigarette Lighter Extension Cord with Lighter Plug, but cut off the ends and used just the cable as it had 2 wires that were inside a pretty heavy duty cable cover protecting the wires inside.
12 Volt 12' Extension Cord with Cigarette Lighter Plug

Purchased a waterproof power outlet with 2 USB ports. It ended up that this was slightly larger than the existing plugged hole and I had to make the opening slightly larger with a utility knife and dremel tool and didn't need the mounting plate or fuse.
2V Waterproof Power Outlet Cigarette Lighter Socket 2.1A Dual USB

I also used some plastic wire harness plastic wrap as extra protection for the exposed cable not run through the frame tube.  I ran this to the battery area and for now I have a rechargeable Lithium Ion 12V battery with a plug under the seat to power it as I was waiting for a fuse connector and switch, but I may just get a larger Lithium Ion pack and not tap into the scooter battery. Mine is 3800 mAh, but they make them in 8000 mAh and 10,000 mHa versions.
600 Rechargeable 3800mAh Lithium Ion Battery Pack with DC Connector

I also tapped into this power lead with a connector that could be used external to the glove box for a future use that is capped off but could easily be used without having to remove the front cover again.

power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware Img_9713

power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware Img_9714

power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware Img_9715

power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware Img_9716

power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware Img_9717

power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware Img_9718
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware   power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 6:26 am

Looks good. Are you running the gps power cord to your new outlet through the glovebox lid? Or is the gps getting its own power elsewhere? I was running my gps power cord under the lid to the power outlet but I found that the lid would damage the cord after a while so I removed the front piece that hides the windscreen screws (nacelle??) and tapped into a separate keyed power source with a designated GPS cord.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware   power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 8:35 am

I ran power off the low beam headlight feed, that way it is switched off and on with key. I did that on my Reflex and had no issues as I think it draws so little power. Can just run the Garmin cable up through the handlebar cover right where you need it out of the way. Only issue is the Zumo cable has some extra cables at end for headphones, traffic, mic I don't use since Bluetooth and you need to cover the ends and tuck them under the cover out of the way. Wish Garmin made a power only cord for this unit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware   power port - Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Outlet, ended up removing the tuperware
Page 1 of 1