Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fan Motor running after ride?

Go down 
+3
honda_silver
KurtPerthWA
exavid
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Fan Motor running after ride? Empty
PostSubject: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 4:22 pm

New question my fan motor is running after I come back from a ride should I let the motor run until the fan stops or is it OK just to shut down the motor?

Thanks for your comments
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:49 pm

If the temp gauge isn't all the way to hot just shut it off. There won't be enough residual heat to boil the coolant. My scooter does the same thing when I park it after riding in 100+ heat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi Exavid,

I am not running in 100 plus heat the temp is at around 75 degress and the motor fan is running at that temp, but the gauge is not showing that it is over heated. Bottom line after running the scooter and the fan is still running it is OK to turn the motor off?

Thanks Exavid for the info..
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Just turn the motor off.

Sometimes the lack of airflow will also set the fan temp switch off shortly after you turn the engine off as the casings and coolant stabilise to a uniform temp.

On my other bike I have installed a manual override illuminated switch which lights up whenever the fan comes on so I can monitor the heat(it doesn't have a temp guage) and fan cycles.
On hot days (42C plus) I can keep it running while in heavy traffic.

This switch is a mod I will do on the Swing along with other mods on my next annual leave.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 11:11 pm

The Motor is not over heating so I don't see any problem turning the scooter off I just want to make sure I don't cause a problem when I turn the motor off while the coolent fan is running? Thanks!!!!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 11:38 pm

Putt Putt wrote:
I am not running in 100 plus heat the temp is at around 75 degress and the motor fan is running at that temp, but the gauge is not showing that it is over heated. Bottom line after running the scooter and the fan is still running it is OK to turn the motor off?

Most likely it is not a problem.

How long were you riding at 75 degrees before the fan came on.
Were riding in the city or stop-and-go traffic??

My first thought was check the anti-freeze level ... but then I checked your first post ... you have a new 2009 SWing ... you could have the dealer checkout to be sure.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 6:32 am

Putt Putt,

Have you checked the Owners Manual to see if it addresses this matter?

Regardless of the ambient air temperature, during operation the cooling system temperature can become hot enough to cause the cooling fan to come on.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 9:01 am

I am going to check the owners manual in a few minutes to see if there is any info in the manual. The motor does not seem to be over heated and I don't feel any heat when I do shut it down when the fan is running. I will double check the owners manual justs incase...Thanks
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 10:15 am

The cooling fan on my Swing routinely operates sometime between the highway and my house, which is 1 1/2 miles down a pretty slow bad dirt road. It's always running when I reach the house, and I've never had a problem just turning off the motor. I don't think it operates while I'm riding, but now that I think about it I'll have to pay closer attention and see.

One of the things Honda advertises for the Swing is its ability to stay cool even in hot temps waiting at a stop light. There is apparently a design element in the cooling system to allow for this, so I've taken them at their word and never worried about it. I do keep an eye on the temp gauge though, and am happy to say that it's never gone high.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks matthew for the info, I looked through the owners manual and could not find any information about the fan running. So it is good to know that you have had no problems turning the motor off while the fan is running. I also keep a close watch on the temp gauge and the scooter never has come close to over heating. So I just have new owner jitters. So far the scooter has been perfect and I am just not use to having some kind of problem. I will come around it will just take time. Again thanks for your info...
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 1:59 pm

You're welcome. I don't know if you're so inclined, but if you are it would be worth your while to buy a copy of the service manual for the swing. There's gonna be a lot more info in there than in the owner's manual.

Enjoy the riding, and ride safe.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:16 pm

I have heard my fan kick in only occasionally while driving. I have then looked at the temp gauge and nothing to get alarmed about. I also have heard it while stopped at red light or stop sign and when fixing to turn the engine off. Never had it get hot enough to boil over or anything. We have had a very mild summer here, but internal combustion engines get hot enough to boil even in cool weather. Some cooling assistance by the fan is going to happen.
Gary
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 7:19 pm

From the 2005 Owner's Manual - Page 180
If Your Engine Overheats
"Normally, the coolant temperature on your temperature meter will rise and then level off. Hot weather may cause the temperature to rise higher than normal. So will temporary stress such as climbing a hill. If you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic, the temperature may climb some, but the radiator fan is designed to prevent overheating. Be aware of these variations as you monitor the meter."

While admittedly the first line should read - "Normally, the coolant temperature as indicated on your temperature meter will rise and then level off." None the less the reference to the radiator (or cooling) fan seems to imply that the fan will run simply to try to keep the temperature from reaching a dangerous level. The fan coming on is not an indication of failure or trouble. There may be a problem if the radiator fan does not come on or it comes on and the temperature meter continues to show an increase in the coolant temperature. But that problem could be with the cooling system or with the operating conditions.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Putt Putt wrote:
New question my fan motor is running after I come back from a ride should I let the motor run until the fan stops or is it OK just to shut down the motor?

Thanks for your comments

In answer to your original question: Letting the motor run would really serve no purpose other than using fuel to continue to heat the coolant. You can shut it off and expect that the bike will not melt into a pool of aluminum and plastic.

My wife and I routinely roll our SilverWings right into the garage after a long day (350-400 miles) here in the heat of Alabama and shut our bikes right down. They still start after 20,000 miles each with no problems.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 7:30 pm

Thanks for all the info and I have ordered the service manual from the dealer but it is going to take about two or three weeks for it to arrive. Again thanks for all the info...I rode the scooter this evening and did not hear the fan come on at all...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 7:05 pm

I test drove a ride today for my group. I sometimes forget to turn the key off when I stop just for a moment. I noticed the fan was running for about thirty seconds and then went off. I'm sure it just runs to cool things off but it doesn't hurt to just turn everything off right away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 10:29 pm

Here is what I think (I am not a mechanic, this is just a common sense I guess). The fan will turn on when engine is hot using a temperature sensor, right? Your bike apparently still calls for the fan to run after you get home, there is nothing wrong with that. And engine could not overheat after it was shut down since it is not running.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 11:18 am

The radiator cooling fan is set up on a temperature switch. When the coolant temperature reaches a certain level, the fan automatically kicks on and will stay on until the coolant temperature has cooled to a safe level. This happens routinely on my bike in hot weather, after an aggressive ride, while climbing large hills, when riding two-up, or in stop and go traffic. It is just a normal function - another great idea by Honda that will make your bike last a long time. No worries..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 10:25 pm

When you're zipping down the road the fan doesn't have much to do. But the instant you stop, all the heat built up from "zipping" causes the coolant temperature to rise rapidly. Combined with the lack of airflow, that means the fan has to run. Cars do the same thing. It's normal.

No need to wait for it to shut off, by the way. It'll be fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:15 am

Hi Mickey, I see you are a Maxi-Scooter do you also belong to the Maxi-Scooter.com site? Thanks for the info the scooter is my first Silver Wing so I am just over reacting trying to find something wrong with the scooter and it just seems to run perfect. I am just enjoying my new toy... Agian Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fan Motor running after ride?   Fan Motor running after ride? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fan Motor running after ride?
Page 1 of 1