Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A Tale of Two Scooters

Go down 
+3
model28a
Chilliwing
Az Kicker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Az Kicker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Az Kicker

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-08-22

A Tale of Two Scooters Empty
PostSubject: A Tale of Two Scooters   A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 2:21 pm

I have been off the forum for a while because I have been on a work contract that kept me busy. The choice between riding or writing is a simple one, so all free time went to riding.

Last November I had a head-on collision with a car on the freeway. My bike went under the car, I went over the hood. My first accident in 40 years of driving, so I had to make it look GOOD.

That's the overly dramatic version, I am basically uninjured, and the less dramatic version is as follows:

I entered the freeway into heavy rush hour traffic moving about 35 MPH. I worked my way over to the HOV lane and started to accelerate. Ahead of me (I estimate about 6 cars) I heard skidding, and observed a car veering from the left lane (HOV is left of the left normal lane) into the center lane, away from me. I quickly checked my mirror to make sure the 65mph HOV traffic wasn't too close and started braking. When I looked back, I was shocked to see that the skidding car had reversed direction and was now skidding across the left lane, and into the HOV lane, facing backwards! I am now fully on the brakes.

He was at a slight (30d) angle, so he blocked the HOV lane, part of the left non-HOV lane (filled with skidding cars), and was sliding for the median, which limited my options. I did NOT want to get caught between the car and the median wall, I did NOT want to get hit from behind, so I opted (which implies far more thought and time) to slow as far as possible, then risk the head on collision.

I have taken many classes on braking techiques, and I used them all. Just as I was about to hit the car, I pushed the bike down to the left as I jumped, sliding across the the hood, over the passenger side fender, and dropping to the ground. I landed on all fours, rolled once, then came to a skidding stop back on all fours. My first thought was to make sure I was behind the car to be protected from any other cars.

From the freeway entrance to where I came to rest was less than .5 miles, not even to the next exit.

I had a semi-circular cut below my left knee that looks suspiciously like the circumference of my handlebar end. Other than general soreness, I was uninjured. The Motoport Kevlar gear (jacket and gloves) show virtually no damage, other than the sleeve zipper pulls came off. My helmet is scuffed where it saved my head from contact with the pavement.

My 2006 silverwing did not fare as well. I hit the Toyota in the front license plate, the bike got wedged under the car. The front fender was snapped off, but it was the forks that took the brunt of the abuse. Even so, I was later able to start it right up and, with the DPS blocking the freeway, drive it SLOWLY (front wheel clunking from side to side) across to the safety of the roadside.

I am now riding a 2013 Silverwing, slowly getting it modded back to what I had.

I was extremely lucky. I do not think that it was my skill alone that prevented a tragedy. I think it was a combination of wearing the right equipment, taking (and practicing) lots of training, and divine intervention that kept me relatively unscathed.

The responding firefighter/paramedics walked between the parked cars carrying the back board and big medical kits, scanning the ground for the motorcycle victim. The lead looked up at me from about 30 feet away as I was talking to the DPS officer dressed in my gear and wearing my helmet, and I could see him think to himself "no, that can't be him" as he shook his head and resumed his examination of the ground. He walked all the way up to us as we were standing by the bike, then he asked if I was the motorcyclist involved. He couldn't believe it, so he insisted on taking my blood pressure while I talked to the officer, then they left.

The lesson to be learned here is to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I'm looking forward to lots of riding adventures in the future.

Back to top Go down
http://AzKicker.com
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Scooters   A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 3:45 pm

It sounds like you used quick thinking and those years of well practiced skills to good use as well as wearing the right safety equipment. Well done! Your back in the saddle on a new Wing!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Scooters   A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 8:39 pm

AzKicker welcome, it's good to have you back. welcome I'm glad to hear you weren't injured any worse than you were. applause I'm also glad to hear you got a new Silverwing. Now make sure you go at least 40 years before your next collision.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
A Tale of Two Scooters 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Scooters   A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 9:15 am

Az Kicker, glad you are okay! Sean Connery may need a stunt double. Are you available? cheers
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Scooters   A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 9:26 am

Az Kicker, glad you are okay and back in the saddle again. Any accident on two wheels that the rider talks about afterwards is a good accident as accidents go. Your accident could easily have been worse from your description of all the vehicles and the freeway speed and all that. Obviously it pays to train and have the muscle memory to react in the proper fashion. Your decision to face the head-on arose out of your quick appraisal of all the other choices you had; all in a split second. Great job. ATGATT saved you some skin too.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Scooters   A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 8:21 pm

Good to hear you got our of that as well as you did! Now I'm going to have to order me a new pair of Dragging jeans or Sliders. I kinda outgrew my old ones and have been meaning to get some new ones that fit. AGATT for sure!
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Scooters   A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 10:05 pm

I am happy you were not severely injured and you were upright when you left. Wrecks are no fun. Close call, thanks for the write up, every one can learn here. Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Scooters   A Tale of Two Scooters I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Tale of Two Scooters
Page 1 of 1