Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello-HELP!

Go down 
+9
hotwings
JeffR
john grinsel
Meldrew
sctr199
Cosmic_Jumper
RobWarren
"Hi Yo"
INOURIDER
13 posters
AuthorMessage
INOURIDER
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-05-16

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 11:20 am

I have rode big twins for 30 years. Harleys, V-Star 1100 Custom now. Leg doesn't want to shift like it used to. A little leary about taking the leap down in power. AT and ease of mounting is making more sense all the time though. I do a lot of touring and it's just me. Any advice/info from former big twin riders would be great! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello-HELP! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:00 pm

welcome    Welcome to the forum. You should be leery of the power of the Silver Wing. It will surprise you and the big twins you leave behind at stoplights.  As long as you avoid that "clutch" lever.    Laughing
Back to top Go down
RobWarren
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-05-08

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:25 pm

As a new s-wing owner, former Electra glide owner, my initial impression is I'd never tour on the scooter, it's too twitchy on the highway at speed. I've read others on here that tour, but with the smaller tires and less weight I think going freeway speeds for distance would be unpleasant. It's amazing commuter bike, easy of use and storage make it perfect supplement to a car... But I couldn't fathom dealing with winds, trucks and all on a long tour. Personal preference... I can already see the rebuttals being written.. Haha if you tour on an s-wing you're a hardier soul than I am.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Welcome to the forum Inourider. Please extend us the courtesy of visting the Introductions page.

Tim
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:43 pm

I also have a Harley Roadglide and certainly understand your interest in something lighter and easier to get on and off of. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much power a Silverwing has. They will keep up with about everything else on the road and definitely have excellent acceleration from a stop. You won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:55 pm

RobWarren wrote:
As a new s-wing owner, former Electra glide owner, my initial impression is I'd never tour on the scooter, it's too twitchy on the highway at speed. I've read others on here that tour, but with the smaller tires and less weight I think going freeway speeds for distance would be unpleasant.  It's amazing commuter bike, easy of use and storage make it perfect supplement to a car... But I couldn't fathom dealing with winds, trucks and all on a long tour.  Personal preference... I can already see the rebuttals being written.. Haha if you tour on an s-wing you're a hardier soul than I am.

I take it your post refers refers to the 125cc Honda S-Wing scooter that Honda discontinued a couple of years ago in favour of the PCX 125, and not the FSC/FJS 600 Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
RobWarren
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 2:18 pm

No, I just bought a 2013 600 silver wing. The desire to not tour is just my opinion. I won't debate it. For the same reasons it is amazing stop light to stop light are the reasons I think it's scary at 75 mph on the interstate.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Your butt hole would be puckering up and trying to take a bite out of the seat at 80-90 on a German autobahn then! Shocked
Back to top Go down
RobWarren
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 2:48 pm

90 kph/55 mph on a well maintained road without heavy traffic, probably ok. If you go 90 mph... Yep, my seat would be sucked up, never to be seen again.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:18 pm

As long time Big Twin rider (4 electra glides, one being new factory sidecar outfit) one thing you will not get is all the shaking and under seat heat--------and the junk falling off. SilverWing does not do that. Rode my SilverWing to 46 states last year......and you do not have to wear Halloween costume to ride one.
Back to top Go down
INOURIDER
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:45 pm

I thought this was the introductions page? Ok, long time biker transitioning to motorcyclist. Wearing armor now instead of leather. I'm from the MO Ozarks. Toying with getting a
SWing or a CTX 700 DCT. Thanks for all the replies. Might do test rides this week.
Back to top Go down
INOURIDER
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Oh yeah, I was wondering about the wind factor and passing semis, etc.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Inourider,

Welcome to the site. I had a SWing for 7 years and now have had the CTX DCT for a little over a year. The SWing and CTX have "about" the same performance but the CTX is quicker on acceleration. They are both very comfortable bikes but I think that the CTX is a bit smoother and it handles the twisties better. It is probably due to the larger wheels. But they are both very nice bikes. I do miss the storage the SWing has and the SWing also gives great weather protection. But since I live in the SF bay area weather protection isn't as important since it is always nice here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Your butt hole would be puckering up and trying to take a bite out of the seat at 80-90 on a German autobahn then! Shocked
Now that is a true lol  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ....
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello-HELP! 510-80

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 7:00 pm

RobWarren wrote:
90 kph/55 mph on a well maintained road without heavy traffic, probably ok.  If you go 90 mph... Yep, my seat would be sucked up, never to be seen again.  
55 mph! No need to worry about the pucker factor. Worry about the pancake factor. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 7:06 pm

As a former Goldwing rider, I was amazed at the acceleration of the SW. I've had mine up to 100 on the interstate and can easily cruise at 80-90. Large semi trucks are not an issue for me. Storage with top box is as much or exceeds most large touring bikes. Some ride strictly in urban settings and others tour long distance and even do Iron Butts too. It's pretty easy to adapt to not shifting and riding a lighter machine. If you like something a little heavier and chunkier, look at the Burgman 650 as it weighs 80 pounds more and feels like a big bike.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 9:04 pm

welcome  INOURIDER welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the web for anything Silverwing. I've ridden over 60,000 miles in seven states on Silverwings and I think they make a great touring scooters. I guess it's a personal thing you'd have to decide for yourself, but the post by Rob Warren is a rarity. I will agree with Rob that going freeway speeds for long distances would be is unpleasant. But I think riding anything at freeway speeds for long distances is unpleasant because you're not able to look around and enjoy the scenery and ride at freeway speeds. I try to avoid freeways and interstate highways, usually taking state highways and county roads as much as I can.

Here are some links(4 below in blue)that will help you learn a lot about the Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good, and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.

Rides-and-Stories
Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 7:07 am

Hi INOURIDER, My 08 SWing is the first SWing I've ever owned. I trailered it home last April (2014) and got her running. It had been sitting under a tarp for the previous two years and needed some TLC. It runs great now! Smile

In years gone by my wife and I have ridden my 1974 Honda CB750 and my 1980 Yamaha 850 Special to the Pensacola, FL area. We were young enough to handle riding all day long back then. We only stopped for food, gas and restrooms. Then we'd start looking for a motel in the late afternoon and pull in for the night. It took us three days to get to FL because we didn't push it. We did however stop at interesting sights as they came up. I guess you could say as long as we were "touring" we might as well "tourist". We were in our 40's when we made these trips and the two bikes we rode were the biggest I've ever owned. She never drove but loved being on the back. I loved it too. She passed away August, 5, 2013 and I miss her a lot. Sometimes while riding on the SWing I swear I can "feel" her on the back. I'll ask if she's enjoying the ride and she's never smited me so I guess she still likes to ride. I will be 69 in July. I still love riding but don't think this old body will handle a long trip like that anymore. But, if I was to give it a try again I'd have no problem riding the SWing.

That's just my two cents.
Back to top Go down

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 10:59 am

RobWarren wrote:
As a new s-wing owner, former Electra glide owner, my initial impression is I'd never tour on the scooter, it's too twitchy on the highway at speed. I've read others on here that tour, but with the smaller tires and less weight I think going freeway speeds for distance would be unpleasant.  It's amazing commuter bike, easy of use and storage make it perfect supplement to a car... But I couldn't fathom dealing with winds, trucks and all on a long tour.  Personal preference... I can already see the rebuttals being written.. Haha if you tour on an s-wing you're a hardier soul than I am.

I sort of agree with this. I do get beat up by the wind when riding on the interstate in any sort of traffic. I remember getting stuck behind a large group of tractor trailers for a while on the interstate and afterward I felt like I had been in a boxing match. Perhaps it's the fact that I only have a Laminar Lip on my SWs windshield, but the buffeting I get on the interstates when behind semis is nearly intolerable.

I use my SW as a commuter bike mostly on the highways. The 8 or so miles of my commute on the interstate are the least pleasant part. I took a long ride with some friends to Louisville and the trip there on highways was delightful. But the trip back on the interstate was tense and much less enjoyable.

If you're worried about power, don't. The bike has power to spare, and you'll know it at the first test ride.
Back to top Go down

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 11:09 am

RobWarren wrote:
90 kph/55 mph on a well maintained road without heavy traffic, probably ok.  If you go 90 mph... Yep, my seat would be sucked up, never to be seen again.  

This I disagree with completely. 55-60 is not "probably okay" it's excellent. In fact faster speeds are not an issue. I took my SW over 100mph (on the speedo, wink wink) when I first bought it just to see.

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello-HELP! 510-80

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 11:39 am

I too try to avoid the interstates. Not because of the speed (the Silver Wing has plenty), but for the traffic. I prefer exploring the less traveled back roads. In fact, I've traveled the same road two or three times, before I find another road to explore. Some call it being lost, but I call it exploring. It's all about the ride. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 3:53 pm

I'd took my SW pretty much on the same roads and freeways as I did my previous Goldwings. No problem cruising at 75mph on the SW except for the increased fuel burn. I've had both of my previous SWs over 100mph by GPS just to see how they handled. Other than more wind noise not much different than at legal freeway speeds. I prefer back roads of course, even with the bit GW country roads are more pleasant but I don't dodge freeways to make miles either. My current scooter the BMW C650GT is the best over all scooter I've owned. Longer wheelbase and 15" wheels help with the ride and in the twisties. It has a top speed of 114mph (GPS) which is where it hits the rev limiter. It's a bit larger and heavier than the SW about the same as the Burgman 650 with quite a bit more oomph in the power delivery. Heated grips, heated seat, trip computer, electrically operated windshield, tire pressure monitor, oil level monitor, fuel burn monitor all kinds of goodies like that make it a great traveling machine.
All that said I'd still ride a Silverwing anywhere. One thing about the SW over all of it's competitors is that it's as bullet proof as its big brother the GW. I really like my GT but it's too soon to know what kind of reliability it will have, the SW is well proven already with an excellent track record that's better than the Burgman 650 as well.
Back to top Go down
RobWarren
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 1:26 am

Like I wrote, just my opinion. Maybe I'll get used to the SW when I ride it more. I've only had it a week. Every vehicle is a compromise. Don't wish to ruffle feathers. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello-HELP!   Hello-HELP! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello-HELP!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: