Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trailering A SilverWing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

trailering - Trailering A SilverWing Empty
PostSubject: Trailering A SilverWing   trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Where do you tie down the front of a wing. All my other bikes I tied above the tripple tree? Have a screw in the back tire with only 6000 miles on it. I will trailer to a good friend who will install a set of Avon Viper S tires. I liked the Avon's on my Valkyrie so will try them on the Wing. If any of you have a clear photo of the fropnt tied down please post. I like useing soft straps on the bike then ratchet to floor of trailer. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Trailering A SilverWing   trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 8:06 am

Most folks use soft straps on the front and rear.

On the front they attach to the scooters triple tree. Be mindful of the hydraulic brake lines that are located in that area do not run your straps over them.

On the rear they attach to the Honda provided tie down loops under the rear fender.

Alot of people use Canyon Dancers but I have heard some bad things about them in the past. They might have re-engineered this product to work better.

I hope this helps,

DennisB

Last edited by DennisB on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Trailering A SilverWing   trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 10:36 am

trailering - Trailering A SilverWing IMG_0020

I know I have a good pic (of the forward tie-down point) at home and will post tonight. There are lines under there to be mindful of. For rear tie-down I use the alternate tie-down extenders and the rear grab handles.

Here is the underside front shot tied off the steering yoke. The one on the right side should be on the other side of the brake lines there is room for it on the outside.
trailering - Trailering A SilverWing IMG_0402-1

Last edited by masscoot on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Trailering A SilverWing   trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 am

DennisB wrote:
On the rear they attach to the Honda provided tie down loops under the rear fender.

You should not use those loops, they were for shipping in the crate. The loops are not very strong and have broken when used for trailering tie-downs.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Trailering A SilverWing   trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 11:41 am

Bill,

Honda uses those to attach to when shipping their scooters. Well what better place then what Honda uses.

No matter what you attach to... if you use to much force anything will brake. All that is needed on the rear of the scooter is just enough to keep the scooter steady and up-right and a high torque is not needed. Using the stock Honda transport tie down loops works just fine for that job so long as you do not come out on to great of an angle from the scooter.

I have seen 30,000 dollar Harley's BOUNCE right out of the back of a pick up truck when a nylon strap broke because of to much force put on them.

Firm and never to tight just enough to hold the scooter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trailering A SilverWing   trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Thanks a million for all the information. Hope I did right buying the Avon's. I guess time will tell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trailering A SilverWing   trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 8:13 am

Thank you for the pic of the tie down ,we did a trial load of two on one trailer yesterday and I did not loop behind the fork like you did . That is a much beter way . We are going to use two ties on each side on the front but I will be towing them 6600KM round trip ,so want extra precaution. We are going to use 900 lb ties on the front .I think 500s are ok on the rear as they will just stop side slide . I wish I would have taken a picture with both of them on the trailer .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trailering A SilverWing   trailering - Trailering A SilverWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trailering A SilverWing
Page 1 of 1