Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 3:07 pm

» Hi there guys
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 1:20 pm

» Final Drive Noise banished
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 1:14 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 am

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:35 am

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:58 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just given a wing

Go down 
+3
model28a
JeffR_
Wood shark
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wood shark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-06-18

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 2:44 am

I was just given a 07 wing with 9700 mi . Trailers it home and fired it up and went. The next day tried to start it and nothing. The battery I'd good and it was just serviced , as per the owner. It will start at random some times yes and then not,never on the top stand. Any ideas??
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 2:52 am

Welcome to the site and congrats on your SWing. Not to insult your intelligence but have you made sure the "kill" switch is off and the side stand is up, and is the brake pulled all the way in? These are the things that seem to get most of us when the SWing doesn't start. The side stand needs to be up to disable the kill switch so maybe that switch is going bad as well.

Maybe others will chime in on this as well. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site.
Back to top Go down
Wood shark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 3:02 am

Yes the stand is up, it acts like a short or a lose wire, it is so random, thanks for the quick reply
Back to top Go down
Wood shark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 3:03 am

It will start on the ground but so far not on the top stand.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 3:22 am

Wood shark, welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the net. When you go to start you need to pull hard on the left (rear) brake handle. Sometimes people forget how hard you need to pull. Also unlike most scooters only the left (rear) brake handle will work to start the scooter.
 welcome  applause  welcome

You posted before I could hit send so I will add. The side stand must be up to start but it should start on the center stand. You might try spraying some contact cleaner in the left brake lever switch.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 3:26 am

The bike is not supposed to start on the sidestand, or ground as you put it. It can only start when it's on the Center stand. Something is not right, either in your description or the wiring has been changed by another owner. Some, like me, have installed sidestand bypasses. I would  suggest you look at the wiring under the sidestand. If the connector is hanging loose and there is a jumper in the female connector, the sidestand has been bypassed. If what I'm saying is all Greek to you, take it to someone who understands what I've just typed.

However, my scenario of bypassed safety switches is very rare. In all likelihood you are not squeezing the left lever hard enough when it's on the centre stand, and you don't have it on the side stand when you say it's "on the ground", you're likely straddling the bike with the side stand up.

Last edited by bigbird on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 3:36 am

I've noticed mine has to have the brake lever pulled pretty hard to overcome the interlock. Now and then I have to try two or three times to get it to start.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-30

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 11:04 am

When pulling the left brake lever in to start there must be 2 clicks before the bike will start. The first click is the brake light switch the 2nd is the safety switch. Listen quietly to hear both clicks. My bike takes a lot of hand pressure to activate the 2nd switch.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 3:37 pm

I bet that's it. I probably notice the brake light click and stop pulling sometimes and others I don't hear the click and keep pulling. I wish the parking brake also served as an interlock as I always have it set so technically I wouldn't need to pull the handbrake.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 5:55 pm

[quote="bigbird"]The bike is not supposed to start on the sidestand, or ground as you put it. It can only start when it's on the Center stand. [/quote]

That's not true, it can start so long as the side stand is up, regardless the Center stand. The left brake lever must be fully pulled, the kill switch in "run".

Jon :flower: 
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 11:26 pm

joncallihan wrote:
bigbird wrote:
The bike is not supposed to start on the sidestand, or ground as you put it. It can only start when it's on the Center stand.

That's not true, it can start so long as the side stand is up, regardless the Center stand. The left brake lever must be fully pulled, the kill switch in "run".

Jon :flower: 

Jon, I don't think you read the second paragraph of my post.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Bigbird,

My apologies, I didn't.

Jon  :flower: 
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Sponsored content

Just given a wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just given a wing   Just given a wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just given a wing
Page 1 of 1