Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Highway Pegs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:16 am

Hi everyone.

I'd really appreciate some feedback from anyone who uses highway pegs on their Swing for long distance driving. I've been taking longer and longer rides, and I find that being able to stretch out my legs helps to relieve the pressure on my lower back. But I'm too tall to stretch them out completely on the foot rests, especially since I got the backrest (which is great). I thought that highway pegs might solve the problem, but don't have a clue on whether they work on a Swing, since it looks like all plastice where they would go. Question

Any thoughts, pics, directions, advice, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Mandy
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:31 am

Emeskay wrote:
Hi everyone.

I'd really appreciate some feedback from anyone who uses highway pegs on their Swing for long distance driving. I've been taking longer and longer rides, and I find that being able to stretch out my legs helps to relieve the pressure on my lower back. But I'm too tall to stretch them out completely on the foot rests, especially since I got the backrest (which is great). I thought that highway pegs might solve the problem, but don't have a clue on whether they work on a Swing, since it looks like all plastice where they would go. Question

Any thoughts, pics, directions, advice, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Mandy

Check out the "silverwing.org" site. TRANSAM86 (Eddie) has installed pegs on his 07.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:39 am

So have I. do a search on that site you will find a good bit of info, or check the link in my sig.
Back to top Go down

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 12:36 pm

dspevack wrote:
So have I. do a search on that site you will find a good bit of info, or check the link in my sig.

I've checked out your site before, but I couldn't remember whose it was. That was what made me start thinking about the pegs. Are you happy with yours?
Back to top Go down

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 12:40 pm

thomphoto wrote:
Check out the "silverwing.org" site. TRANSAM86 (Eddie) has installed pegs on his 07.

I couldn't find his user name on the silverwing.org site. Do you have the url?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Yes I am.
on .org you can do a search on transam86 and all his posts come right up. don't know why you were having a problem with that.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Emeskay wrote:
thomphoto wrote:

I couldn't find his user name on the silverwing.org site. Do you have the url?

You will probably have to register and sign in to do a search.
I had no problem finding Eddie's posts about his pegs. Also, Dan, I had forgotten that you also have pegs installed.

Wendell
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 1:37 pm

No offense taken. Smile
Back to top Go down

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:25 pm

[quote="thomphoto
You will probably have to register and sign in to do a search.
I had no problem finding Eddie's posts about his pegs. Also, Dan, I had forgotten that you also have pegs installed.[/quote]

I am registered. And I did a search for his user name. Am I hopeless? Sigh. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:27 pm

Dan,

I'm sorry that I didn't remember it was your swing, although I certainly remembered the scooter! Do you like your pegs?

Mandy
Back to top Go down

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Dan,

Also, I looked through the silverwing.org site, and I couldn't find a listing for where you got your pegs. Maybe I'm missing it, but could you send it to me, please?

Thanks,

Mandy
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 pm

On my sig thread, farther down, there are some pics you can blow up of pages in the Kuryakyn catalog, which is where my orignal pegs came from.
Keep in mind that I upgraded my pegs to cruiseboards for even more comfort, also from the same place.
Installing pegs is a Frankenstein job, as the bike is not designed for them.
You should look for Eddies instructions and info on how he did it, (he installed a different style than I did) and either be prepared to muddle thru learning as you go, or going to your mechanic in advance, with as much info printed out from your computer in hand as you can, and discuss the installation with him to the point where he is comfortable doing it and he knows what he is getting into (more or less) Here's some linx to play with.
Dan
http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/image_show.pl?img=%2fmwf%2fattach%2f7%2f7007%2fFootpegsTitled.JPG

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/image_show.pl?img=%2fmwf%2fattach%2f4%2f11004%2fKM_0704_GoldWing_Pgs20-33_Page_12.rsz.jpg

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/image_show.pl?img=%2fmwf%2fattach%2f4%2f11004%2fKM_0711_Pegs_Pgs101-123_Page_02.rsz.jpg

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.Products/catID/18/scID/46

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/IMID/488

Back to top Go down

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:47 am

Dan, you rock! Thank you for sending me all the information.

dspevack wrote:
Installing pegs is a Frankenstein job, as the bike is not designed for them.

Does that mean I might be creating a monster? Smile

I was guessing that it would be difficult to put in pegs, and now I'm sure of it. I agree with you, by the way, that boards would be more comfortable, and as long as I'm bothering...

I have to consider whether I can do it myself. I have all the tools, but I'll have to take a good look at my Swing and see where I want them. I'm thinking that the most comfortable place would be in front of the upper part of the foot rest Highway Pegs Highwa14

because that's where i stick my feet now, and I'd like to stretch them out further. I have to check and see if there's any metal underneath there to attach something to.

What do you think?

Mandy
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:04 am

I think you should take a closer look at the links I sent.
Notice that they are mounted to the frame in one place, and then have
offsets. I believe you have a choice of 2 different offsets and the offset
arms are teethed, so you can rotate it to a point that is higher or lower, closer or farther away from you and lock the teeth in place.

Also, the initial design is to clamp onto a frame made of a thicker metal tubing then the Silverwing has, so if you weld, its not a problem, and you can avoid clamping. But if you clamp you need to take that into account.
In order to prevent the mount from rotating on the tubing, my guy drilled a single small hole thru the tubing and put in a thin pin. It does the job, but also if the bike goes down the pin breaks instead of twisting the frame.
If you do this, keep in mind your personal weight, because thats how much the strenght of the pin needs to withstand. Presumably the bike is heavier than you are. Smile There are some more pics on my thread. Look closely at them.

Dan
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:06 am

That is the best location and there is a small diameter tube that terminates close to the joint there between the skirt (lower piece) and the lower extensions of the front cover. You will have to cut a hole in the upper part of the skirt to accomodate the mounting bracket.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks, guys. I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about this. I don't have the kind of equipment you need to weld, and there aren't any really good technicians for this sort of stuff anywhere near me. In any case, it sounds like a winter project, because I don't want to stop riding long enough to do this kind of thing when the weather is good.

I really appreciate your input, and I will be taking another, closer look at the info you provided. This requires a bit of creativity. I need to take a look at how the foot rest areas are constructed. I'm beginning to think about some metal bending, but don't know about the supports. Maybe after I give it some more thought, I'll shoot a line to DennisB.

Thanks again,

Mandy
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 12:20 am

Emeskay,

Here are a few links for the "Blingmeister" on the Silverwing.org site. I don't think any o fthese are the same as the ones that Dan posted earlier. If you get them, tell us how you like them.

http://www.silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=27841;hl=pegs

http://www.silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=27889;hl=pegs

http://www.silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=27415;hl=pegs
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:39 am

JeffR wrote:
Here are a few links for the "Blingmeister" on the Silverwing.org site.

Thanks Jeff! The links look really helpful. :Not Worthy:
I'm going to take my time on these, because I want to get them right. study I like Dan's floor board idea, that sounds even better than just pegs. That's one of the mods on my husband's RT.

I will definitely let you know what happens.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Highway Pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Highway Pegs   Highway Pegs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Highway Pegs
Page 1 of 1