Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

passing on experience--MAPS

Go down 
+12
MikeO
ScooterBJ
Dale N.
Darkeswinger
"Hi Yo"
jdeereanton
dspevack
Meldrew
Colin B
Greysilver
bigbird
john grinsel
16 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

passing on experience--MAPS Empty
PostSubject: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Recent trip to ride in more states=lesson learned....even though I have doing this 61 years-----use current year MAPS!! Using 2007 map (small) that came with new 2007 BMW car----Riding on Hwy 71 in Arkansas------checked on my new 2014 Map.....for comparison-----running in same direction was new super highway----as it was near end of riding day----got on new road and got to motel for nite quicker.

Note: I use no electronic junk and rely on stuff that has worked for years and prefer to pay attention to riding.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 7:47 pm

john grinsel wrote:

Note: I use no electronic junk and rely on stuff that has worked for years and prefer to pay attention to riding.

Why do you call a GPS electronic junk?
I really hope forum members don't take your words as gospel.
It's great to relay information and experiences, but then to pass judgement and make blanket statements that make you look like a Luddite can only hurt your reputation.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 8:16 pm

GPS on motorcycle electronic junk-----maps work-----ride a lot and you will find out-----Keep it simple and enjoy the ride. had 2 new cars with GPS=distraction at best, wife has portable GPS in Genesis=junk.

I have made it all over Europe/Mexico/North America/Japan/Korea on maps....and always came back

What I say is based on actual experience----riding---not talking/dreaming about it.

My words are not gospel-----but real on the road experience. Still say maps work. Paying attention to riding keeps the wheels on the ground in my world.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Of course maps work but they are tough to unfold at 70mph Smile  I rely on maps too, have no gps but I would consider one if I could find a suitable mount.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Greysilver wrote:
Of course maps work but they are tough to unfold at 70mph Smile  I rely on maps too, have no gps but I would consider one if I could find a suitable mount.

You have come to the right place. DennisB makes a GPS mount. I used his for awhile but found the GPS too far away to view easily. Many of us have bought RAM mounts that attach to mirror extensions (available on eBay) that raise the stock mirror up and out slightly. I have found the RAM mount to bring my GPS much closer and higher to my line of sight.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 10:42 pm

I used his for awhile but found the GPS too far away to view easily. Many of us have bought RAM mounts that attach to mirror extensions (available on eBay) that raise the stock mirror up and out slightly. I have found the RAM mount to bring my GPS much closer and higher to my line of sight.

Ill check this out, thanks bigbird
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 1:52 am

Greysilver wrote:
Of course maps work but they are tough to unfold at 70mph.

Especially when also holding a gin and tonic! Cheers....  drunken 

Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 2:42 am

john grinsel wrote:
My words are not gospel-----

But they can come across as though they are, John.

The danger of relying solely on a sat nav - take me to destination X - is that it can lead you up the garden path. There have been many incidents of large vehicles becoming stuck on inappropriate roads because the driver engaged the sat nav, but not the brain.

One also has less of an idea of one's location if one doesn't study maps.

However, I usually ride with the aid of a sat nav.

I have led many group rides - linear and circular. I always plan a route (avoiding highways) using maps, then plot the route into my TomTom.  I can then enjoy the ride, knowing the waypoints, rest stops, destination etc, and still be able to watch the world go by AND keep an eye on the group behind me.

A sat nav, like a map, is just another tool to make a task easier. Both have a value; combined, I find them invaluable.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 7:42 am

john grinsel wrote:
GPS on motorcycle electronic junk-----maps work-----ride a lot and you will find out-----Keep it simple and enjoy the ride.

You haven't passed on any experience of MAPS at all apart from saying you use them.

A folded up paper map inside the clear map pocket of a tank or tunnel bag is of limited use when riding. It takes your eyes off the road for too long reading it, you have to stop occasionally to move to another section, an unfolded maps blows about in the slightest breeze, they split or tear along the folds from wear from constantly folding and refolding them to fit in the map pocket, they're pretty useless when wet and they're out of date very quickly.

I use maps for reference and route finding information only, I used home made laminated route cards for years taped to the screen. Now I'm using my sat nav as the primary tool to reach my destination and maps are just back up. As I said earlier I dislike paper maps, so I have a collection of laminated or weatherproofed German bikers maps for touring in 1 : 200 000 scale, that's 1cm = 2km. They contain a have a lot of useful info on scenic rides, biker friendly accommodation, eating places, bike dealers, camp sites, and meeting places.

Other times I'll use larger scale 1 : 400 000 maps, again laminated and a lot less faff than a paper map. I spend a bit of time ratching round book shops on tour and look for any updated versions of the maps I have or maybe need in future.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu May 08, 2014 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:23 am

john grinsel wrote:

John,

Do you realize you have to stop paying attention to riding to use the maps?  
Not just attention. You have to stop riding altogether.

Then get out the map, figure out your next move, fold it back up get back on the road.  Repeat.

As much as you swear by a map, I would swear by a GPS.  I use no "paper junk".
I am not riding anyplace where if my GPS goes down there isn't a gas station within riding distance that I can buy "paper junk".
If I am going to ride somewhere where I feel a backup paper map is valuable I can buy one.
I know how to use a map. I learned in the Boy Scouts. I have never needed a paper map for riding in 10 years.
I have very bad short term memory.  If I used "paper junk" I'd be stopping every time I got to the next landmark.
GPS's also help me calculate fuel reserve, tell me the distance to the next gas station, etc.
Maps will not tell me where the gas stations are or which gas company they are.

When I get on a bike for a long trip, I want to feel confident of my route and destination and get that reassurance any time, as often as I like, at a moment's notice, WITHOUT having to stop.

If I wanted to deal with ancient concepts like maps (tongue firmly in cheek) I'd have been an archeologist, not a motorcyclist.  Smile 

Dan

Last edited by dspevack on Thu May 08, 2014 8:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:30 am

I'm with John on this.  I was raised on a farm and I can tell you that these modern conveyances with motors are all just a big design by some governmental agency to cause us to kill our horses.

I've ridden horses for years and I can tell you they WORK!  No carburetors or foolish fuel injection for me.  This is after years of riding.  If you ride a lot you will have to agree with me or you are not smart.  Disagree show me you are foolish and not a rider.

Plus you can use maps while on a horse - so there is proof that I am right.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:44 am

Hope you are playing with GPS while stopped----paying attention to what you might hit good way to stay upright and alive.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:51 am

I don't "play" with my GPS when riding any more than I take a drink from a suspended cup!!!

If you plot the route in advance and have your device mounted in front of you (using the mount made by Dennis) it is no more of a distraction than glancing at the instrument panel to check your speed. Besides, most GPS devices give audible directions.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
passing on experience--MAPS 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:05 am

jdeereanton wrote:
I'm with John on this.  I was raised on a farm and I can tell you that these modern conveyances with motors are all just a big design by some governmental agency to cause us to kill our horses.

I've ridden horses for years and I can tell you they WORK!  No carburetors or foolish fuel injection for me.  This is after years of riding.  If you ride a lot you will have to agree with me or you are not smart.  Disagree show me you are foolish and not a rider.

Plus you can use maps while on a horse - so there is proof that I am right.
I'm reporting you to PETA for such a superior attitude to those poor animals. They might get spooked by a flapping map and run into the road and get run over by someone relying on electronic junk. You have feet; use them or you might be accused of having a lard a**.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:06 am

Horses....phooey!

https://i.servimg.com/u/f56/16/27/96/61/th11.jpg
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:56 am

The thing with MAPS vs. GPS, in my opinion, is what the rider prefers. I use a map to pre-plan my ride then program it into the gps. Once it's programmed in I check it against the map to see if any changes are needed with way-points, places of interest, fuel stops, places to eat etc. Although, there are times I just pick a town on a map and program it in and go.

While my wife was still alive we used to pick out a smaller town somewhere to go for lunch usually within 100-150 miles. Those were fun trips we got to do together. And, we found some good, and some not so good, places to eat. These are memories that are still good to reminisce on. Now I ride by myself and if she wants to come along she's welcome.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 10:21 am

Maps? Weren't those paper-foldy things once used for navigation? I love antiques too and can remember when phones had cords and cars had carburetors. I even hear people can FLY THROUGH THE AIR in something called an 'Aeroplane'. Geez, I MUST be getting old!

My wife has promised to euthanize me if I ever become a grumpy, backward, curmudgeon. She's a great gal!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm

I think bigbird's comments about Denis's mount being a bit too far away sum up the whole business: I find having my GPS 'down there' most satisfactory......for me!

I like maps and pore over them for hours, especially the brilliant Ordnance Survey ones, and on my PC (Google Maps) which I also use for plotting routes which can be downloaded on to my Garmin 660.

I've also got a map wallet which I can wear on my forearm and in which I sometime put written directions if I don't need to use the GPS.

There's something for everyone thank goodness and sufficent variety for anyone to ring the changes from time to time.
Is any one of these better than any of the others in every situation?
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:21 pm

The problem with using a paper map is that it either always flys away at 65mph or I just can't fold it back up while going down the interstate. That is why I liked the GPS that Dennis made.

Dale N.,

I'm sure your wife rides with you and says "You should have bought a SWing years ago".
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:42 pm

JeffR_ wrote:

Dale N.,

I'm sure your wife rides with you and says "You should have bought a SWing years ago".  

I think she would like the SWing too. At least she hasn't belted me upside the head for getting it.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Dale N. wrote:

I think she would like the SWing too. At least she hasn't belted me upside the head for getting it.
Yet!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 2:57 pm

That is true Larry. At least none that I've felt... YET!! Smile 
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 1:19 am

I use both maps and GPS, but find navigating by the sun during daylight hours very accurate. If the sun is on my left, I am traveling to Melbourne, If the the sun is on my right, I am travelling back to Perth. There is a small section of North, and South  for about 250 klm either way, so I just adjust the Naviwindow to windscreen or taillight..  Simple!
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 3:34 am

What is "the sun"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Colin B wrote:
What is "the sun"?

A UK national daily "news"paper in which the only thing worth reading is ... Hagar the Horrible  :lol!: :lol!:

passing on experience--MAPS Hagar01
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Gotta lurve his dog (called Snert) as well

passing on experience--MAPS Hagar_The_Horrible

then there's his pal Lucky Eddie

passing on experience--MAPS 07-27-10-hagar-the-horrible

Have a look here for more >>>> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hagar+the+horrible+cartoon&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gZFuU-LAOoHK0QWI5IDgDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=629
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Colin, The Bern, Both funny, but way off topic...
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2014 12:38 am

dspevack wrote:
way off topic...

As is often the case!  silent
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:09 am

MikeO wrote:
I think bigbird's comments about Denis's mount being a bit too far away sum up the whole business: I find having my GPS 'down there' most satisfactory......for me!

I like maps and pore over them for hours, especially the brilliant Ordnance Survey ones, and on my PC (Google Maps) which I also use for plotting routes which can be downloaded on to my Garmin 660.

I've also got a map wallet which I can wear on my forearm and in which I sometime put written directions if I don't need to use the GPS.

There's something for everyone thank goodness and sufficent variety for anyone to ring the changes from time to time.
Is any one of these better than any of the others in every situation?

Exactly, Mike. PLenty of others have also made the point: use what you prefer. Both GPS AND paper maps work fine, as long as you make sure whatever you use is current and pay attention to riding/driving.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 2:37 am

Maps have barely been mentioned at all in this topic apart from the inconveniences of using them on the move, and nothing much in the way of experience has been passed on.

Since the topic has now moved on to sat nav/GPS and Dennis's GPS mount, I found I needed a longer RAM arm to see the details on my TomTom Rider clearer, and a Glare Stomper over the GPS unit as it's screen became unreadable mounted in the central position in bright sunlight.

My Garmin Zūmo 350 LM is a lot more advanced than the TomTom and automatically adjusts to light levels so the sun should be less of a problem. I'd like a more secure holder than the stock Garmin one and I've made a temporary mod until some clever German company develops one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: passing on experience--MAPS   passing on experience--MAPS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

passing on experience--MAPS
Page 1 of 1