Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New owner (new to me) in PA

Go down 
+3
WingMan02
JeffR_
dsw163
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dsw163
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-04-30

New owner (new to me) in PA Empty
PostSubject: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 12:33 am

Hi!
I just purchased a 2006 Swing with relatively high mileage. 22,xxx miles.
Since I'm new to scooter, I think I may have made a bad purchase... Sad
Maybe you guys can help me out...
AFTER I bought the scooter, I found scratches on the right side edge of the instrument panel with no scratch on the fairing. First red flag. So I suspected the previous or previous previous owner wrecked the Swing and replaced the fairing without replacing the instrument panel cover... (no big deal just cosmetic)
BUT then I found there's a weird up and down vibrations, almost like hopping, only when riding at 70mph+, almost comes on like flipping a switch. What could be the problem? Flat spots from winter? wheel out of balance? or BENT frame???

The front plastic also makes a lot of noise and the windshield flexes at speed. Is it a common problem or is it just my Swing?

Other than that the engine fires right up, runs fine, pulls and shifts great. Hopefully I can find some answers here so I can sleep better at night. I really like this scooter I hope nothing major is wrong with it.

THANKS in advance!

Doug

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 1:19 am

Doug,

Welcome to the site and hope you enjoy it. Can you take pictures and post them here so we can see? 22,000 miles is not a lot of miles on a SWing at all. What kind of shield is it? I installed an XL Clearview with the vent and it flexed so much I just removed it. An other shield should not flex at all really.

As for the tires, how many miles do you have and did this SWing sit for a long time? But if you can post some pics, and close ups, maybe we can give you some advice.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 4:00 am

Maybe the tires are old and need to be replaced. Use the SEARCH button at the top to find out how to determine when your tires were manufactured.  It is a four digit code usually next to the DOT lettering where the first two digits specify the week of manufacture, and the last two is the year of manufacture.
Lift the front wheels off of the ground and check the following:
1. spin it looking for out of round condition.
2. You can also see if it is out of balance with the front wheel off of the ground. You may have to separate the front brake pads.
3.At the same time, turn the handles from lock to lock feeling for indents. There is usually a small indent at the straight ahead position. That is because the majority of times, the bike is going straight. If there are any locking indents, then the head bearings need to be replaced.
4. Check for steering stem looseness. Could be caused by a front end collision. Only way is to remove the front end triple-tree, and inspect the head bearings, and the stem itself.
You could also measure the wheel base. It should be 62.8 inches between the front and rear wheel axles.
GOOD LUCK on your new ride and Aloha from Hawaii.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New owner (new to me) in PA 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 am

Welcome Doug. As Wayne said, there is a lot of information here. Using the SEARCH BOX (upper left hand corner) can help you get ideas of what to look for. Hopefully everything will work out well and all you need to worry about is where your next ride will be.  small moped   small moped   welcome 
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 10:52 am

Hi DSW163, Welcome to the site. Good luck with the "new to you" scooter. Its a Honda and that means two things 1. it works and 2. its fixable.

Hey Jeff, Thanks for the note about Clearview WS. After reading about excess flexing I wont be looking to them. Too bad as that was #1 in my list.

DSW, this is a great site, learn to use the search feature for all your questions.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 12:01 pm

Greysilver,

I had the XL Clearview with the vent but they will not sell the XL with the vent due to the flexing. You can still order the XL Clearview though w/o the vent. It will not flex. It was a very good screen up to about 65mph and without the vent you can go as fast as you want. So you still may want to think about it.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks for the tip, Jeff.  Probably I would want wide/large/vent so maybe a go ahead. Still, I'll ask a couple questions when I order.   Smile
Back to top Go down
Okiedolkle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiedolkle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi and Welcome fellow PA, SW owner.

Razz Homer
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Graysilver I have one if you want to try it.You pay shipping.Send me a PM

Dsw163 Pull front break in and rock back and forth.There should not be any movement in the headset bearing.

New and balanced tires will give you piece of mind.If in dought...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New owner (new to me) in PA   New owner (new to me) in PA I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New owner (new to me) in PA
Page 1 of 1