Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? Empty
PostSubject: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 9:05 pm

I have just put the deer whistles on my scoot. I mounted them to the light bar of Dennis'. After installation I did a google on the subject and was a little surprised at what I read. No big deal, they look sharp.... cost about $6.., so even if they don't work (and I live in an area where they will get an active test almost daily)... I will live with the decision to put them on.

Do any of you have any first hand experience with them. Pro or Con... give us some feed back.

I would especially like to know if you have ever heard of anyone or you yourself hit a deer after installing one of these devices?

Gary

Last edited by Opalsboy on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added last paragraph)
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 3:09 am

Yes generally they work, sometimes they don't. At a range of about 250-300 feet in front @ 60 mph(100kmh). unfortunately the startled birds and animals don't know what it is and could turn and run/fly in front of you. This is from personal experience. I gauge this distance as the point at which I see a reaction in the animal, and it is evident with birds especially as they usually only flock off at around a third to half of that distance without the whistles. BTW you could also happen across a deaf animal...
On another note, if you travel on low beam at night, the animals get a better chance at avoiding you, as you dont blind them as much as with main beam and or spotlights.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 9:16 am

I accidently put mine on backwards and now when I go riding in the country I have a bunch of deer chasing me. Smile
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am

:rendeer: Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer:
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 12:36 pm

Hey guy's

I have also installed deer whistles on the front of my scooter and spot lights. The way I look at it is...It can’t hurt and giving me a false sense of security is not in the cards for me. I have always ridden motorcycles defensively and on guard.

Deer whistles…I think we should mount whistles and lights on them.

DennisB
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 4:21 pm

DennisB wrote:
Hey guy's
Deer whistles…I think we should mount whistles and lights on them.
DennisB

How do you get the deer to stay still while
you mount the whistles and lights on them? chickendance
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 4:24 pm

I agree with leercguy. Also dspevak.

My good friend hit a deer at 80 or so mph. Destroyed the deer, caused $1500 parts damage to his KTM, didn't hurt him at all. No deer whistle would have helped that muley at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 4:42 pm

Simple...introduce them to a .30-6.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Every attempt I've ever read about to "test" deer whistles indicated that they have no effect on deer whatsoever. Can't hurt, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 9:17 pm

mickey wrote:
Every attempt I've ever read about to "test" deer whistles indicated that they have no effect on deer whatsoever.

...I am just concerned that deer don't hear it as a mating call...(because I do not want deer to mate my SW).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 10:30 pm

Miro wrote:
mickey wrote:
Every attempt I've ever read about to "test" deer whistles indicated that they have no effect on deer whatsoever.

...I am just concerned that deer don't hear it as a mating call...(because I do not want deer to mate my SW).

One tried that on me last Thursday evening. My bike rejected her rather violently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 10:36 pm

The premise of the "deer whistle" is that deer can hear ultrasonic sounds that humans cannot. Unfortunately, there seems to be some consensus among wildlife biologists that the premise is faulty:

"Georgia's Game and Fish Department, for example, found that
in hundreds of observations from vehicles equipped with deer
whistles, deer didn't respond. Whistles on vehicles going
25-30 mph produced no ultrasonic sound, although some
ultrasonic and lower frequencies were produced when the
whistles were blown by mouth. According to wildlife
biologists at the University of Georgia, neither deer nor
humans can hear ultrasonic sound. Whistles blown by mouth
near captive deer produce no response.
"

A University of Wisconsin study found three brands of deer whistles that did actually produce low-frequency and ultrasonic noise at high speeds, but they also found that, under controlled conditions, deer did not pay the slightest attention to them.

I thought this was interesting:

Given the high percentage of deer-vehicle collisions that
happen at night, some highway departments are installing
reflectors at regular intervals along the side of the roadway in
areas where deer and other animals frequently cross. The most
commonly used of these devices, the Swareflex Wildlife Reflector,
reflects light from an approaching vehicle's headlights to create
a low-intensity red beam that bounces across the roadway and into
ditches and woods. Drivers will not see the reflected light;
however when an animal comes upon the unnatural and apparently
moving light patterns, it is stopped from crossing the road.
After the vehicle has passed, the lighted "fence" disappears, and
the animal may continue safely on its way.
Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? Clear
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety described the
reflectors as "the most promising system for preventing deer
crashes."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 10:42 pm

My dad recently put them on his car. He swears by them. He said, "Since I've had them I've never hit a deer."

I asked, "How many have you hit in your lifetime BEFORE the deer whistles?"

"Well....none......"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?   Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deer Whistle/Sirens.. Do they help...?
Page 1 of 1