Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Excessive Mileage???

Go down 
+7
lalee
WingMan02
Cosmic_Jumper
JeffR
model28a
john grinsel
f-15hurler
11 posters
AuthorMessage
f-15hurler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-01-09

Excessive Mileage??? Empty
PostSubject: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 11:20 am

Smart people...new to scootering and this forum.  Thanks for all the great info so far.  I have a question to pose to you.  How many miles should I be worried about on a used scoot?  I'm looking at a SW that is an 07 with 13k.  I haven't had a chance to check it out personally yet.  I will do that next Saturday.  I just want to get some input before I commit to a 6 hour drive for it.  Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 11:40 am

07 would need tires (age) and soon drive belt----gummed up fuel system do to non use?

SilverWing not to fear. 50-75,000 miles little things might start to go wrong.

And price?? Me, $2500 tops for 7 year old scooter, that ain't cheap to fix. I have no idea what true value is, pay no more than book trade in value...not high retail.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Over 48,000 on my Silverwing, no major problems.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 pm

I have an '07 with 34,000 miles and it has nothing wrong with it. I haven't rode in a while but it rides great and very smooth. I would ask how he maintained it and have him send you pics of it. But 13,000 miles in nothing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 7:38 pm

83000 miles on my '03 (original owner). Other than replacing the belt at 20k mile intervals --that 16k interval the factory recommends is just that; a recommendation-- and replacing an occasional errant brake light switch, I haven't had any major problems which I haven't caused by my own tinkering or neglect.

Oops, oh yeah, I have replaced the front wheel bearings --but you might consider that normal maintenance. And also I have rebuilt the brake calipers because the caliper pistons wouldn't retract completely.

At 13000 miles that S/Wing isn't even broken in yet. I would highly recommend picking up a Factory Service Manual soon after you take possession of your new S/Wing. Lots of helpful info there even if you aren't of the DIY persuasion.

Tim
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 11:38 pm

If I were looking to replace my 02 Swing, I would be looking for one with ABS brakes, and an O2 sensor.  I think that the O2 started in 08.  Also, look if any accessories come with it.  Check when the tires were manufactured. Should replace tires if older than 5 years.  Good luck finding your Swing and ride safe.
Aloha
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 2:06 am

AN 08 with 13,000 is considered low mileage as less than 3,000 miles per year. I bet the tires have been replaced. The mag wheels of the Silverwing gives you options on running a car tire if you so chose to do so. There is plenty of information on this forum if you search "Darkside."

I have an 05 with 10,000. These go quite awhile.

Change your fluids and enjoy.

Excessive Mileage??? Wttg
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 12:06 am

lalee wrote:
AN 08 with 13,000 is considered low mileage as less than 3,000 miles per year.  I bet the tires have been replaced.  The mag wheels of the Silverwing gives you options on running a car tire if you so chose to do so.  There is plenty of information on this forum if you search "Darkside."  

I have an 05 with 10,000.  These go quite awhile.  

Change your fluids and enjoy.  

Excessive Mileage??? Wttg

Initial post states it is an 07 with 13k miles. Still a good find. Does it have ABS brakes?
Back to top Go down
f-15hurler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Yes...ABS. Am very excited at the prospect :-)
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 pm

I have 41000 smiles on my 2005 and have changed the belt, tires, and brake pads. General ware items. I do keep the oil and filter changed using Honda products. Air filter is K N. I am 77 years young and plan to ride this one until I can no longer ride LORD willing.

You just don't get a better product than Honda. Preventive maintenance is the key!
Back to top Go down
f-15hurler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Thank you much for all the input. I will check her out in a couple of days. I'm hoping it works out.
Back to top Go down
Aussiexxx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Aussiexxx

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 2:38 pm

I have covered 63,000 miles on my 2005 Silverwing and just had the clutch replaced. Also keeps cutting out intermittently. Sometimes will travel miles without a problem then the engine will die, i ease off the throttle then it picks up again. On two occasions it has stopped completely but after 5 minutes will start and then travel miles without a hitch. I have taken it into the dealer but he cannot find the fault. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Is your FI light on?

Have you done recommended maintenance according to Honda's schedule (particularly things like spark plugs)?

Some thoughts: Maybe TPS. Maybe clogged fuel system (injectors, filter, evaporative system).

But could be lots of things. What has the dealer ruled out?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Aussiexxx wrote:
I have covered 63,000 miles on my 2005 Silverwing and just had the clutch replaced. Also keeps cutting out intermittently. Sometimes will travel miles without a problem then the engine will die, i ease off the throttle then it picks up again. On two occasions it has stopped completely but after 5 minutes will start and then travel miles without a hitch.  I have taken it into the dealer but he cannot find the fault. Any ideas?
Aussiexxx I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. But when you ask a question in the middle of a post already in progress it gets lost. If anyone is trying to search for it they could never find it.
If you would start a new post with "cutting out intermittently" for the title and the words in red for the post anyone looking for help with the same problem in the future could find your question(with a search)and any answers you may get.  Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 10:47 am

Start with the simplest things. I would have a look at the side stand safety cutout switch. Seriously. Try bypassing it for a week or so and see if the problem disappears.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Mileage???   Excessive Mileage??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Excessive Mileage???
Page 1 of 1