Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» It's that time of year again.
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 6:48 am

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:17 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi Maxia Top Box

Go down 
+5
WingMan02
dspevack
Meldrew
lalee
Skeeter
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Skeeter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Skeeter

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-12-07

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Last year I added a Givi top box to my 2012 SW scooter for those multi-day cross country rides. Now with a year's experience I can recommend that add-on to others. Most experts tell us that a heavy load at the rear-most point of the motorcycle/scooter can be dangerous (due to centrifugal force of a swinging load in turns and sharp maneuvers. I usually pack the top box with lighter items and usually drive at modest speeds when loaded. I have not found the handling of the SW to be adversely affected so far. I always put the heavy items under the saddle where it has essentially no influence on handling. The big plus for me, in addition to the extra load space, is the double stop light on the box. It connects through two button contacts under the box and thus has no impact on easy and fast top box removal. This model also has extra strong sides and a nice carry handle for going into a hotel during a trip. Safety improvement and more stuff, Great!https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_basketball.gif
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Nice write up. I have been thinking about a top box for awhile now. I don't like how they look on the Swing, but the function can't be beat!

Larry

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4213
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 3:20 am

The Givi E55 Maxia looks great on the Silver Wing, the Stealth version I have has the smoked reflectors that match the rear lights of the Swing. 55 litres storage in the box and another 55 litres under the seat is great for everyday riding.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 4:16 am

When I go for a trip by scooter I'm usually loaded. Under seat, +55 maxia, and my maxia has the givi rack on top of it, where I strap another bag.
The maxia has a recommended weight limit which I usually double when I pack.
The bag bungie corded to the rack is usually another 20 lbs.
And I can't drive 55.

Never on any trip at any time did I find the top weight to be a problem or have the wind resistance be a factor.

The only thing I had to do different was make sure I put the bike on the center stand, because the extra weight at that height would overwhelm the side stand and the bike would fall over.
I added an extra half inch to the sidestand foot thickness to change the lean angle for exactly that reason. Ultimately its still better to use the center stand because you don't have to worry about the foot sinking into soft ground.

Dan
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 11:54 pm

dspevack wrote:
Ultimately its still better to use the center stand because you don't have to worry about the foot sinking into soft ground.

Dan
Would not the center stand sink into the soft ground if the side stand would?cheers
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 am

Yes but it doesn't matter.
The sinking stand is still balanced on 2 points,
thus it would not shift the weight right or left for the bike to fall over.
Its not likely that only one side of the center stand would sink.

But you already knew that Wayne, so why bring it up?
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 1:10 am

dspevack wrote:
Yes but it doesn't matter.
The sinking stand is still balanced on 2 points,
thus it would not shift the weight right or left for the bike to fall over.
Its not likely that only one side of the center stand would sink.

But you already knew that Wayne, so why bring it up?
Actually, I did not know that. Maybe one leg would stop sinking when it encounters a rock below the top surface.  Maybe a constant strong wind blowing from one side could influence the neutral balance. It is probably mostly me.   I only use my center stand when on solid ground like concrete.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 8:36 am

Hate to bust your bubble but the center stand won't keep it from falling over on soft ground, was at the local park enjoying the out doors when mine went over. It had done fine for about half an hour(ground actually felt firm) when it fell over into the truck parked next to it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:04 am

I always carry a side stand plate or puck in the left hand fairing pocket or top box for use when I park up on soft ground where the side or main stand would eventually sink in with the weight of the Silver Wing. I've got a couple of plastic ones that were promotional giveaways, and a one made out of a 4" square of scrap alloy checker plate I was given in the mid Eighties.

Or simply a use a flattened soft drinks can taken from a rubbish or trash bin under the side stand if you think the ground is a bit soft.

You could also carry a suitable piece of metal or wood to place under the main stand, I used to see quite a few riders using them at BMW rallies in my biking days.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:06 am

Crahar, Wingman02,

I have no idea why its soooooo important for you to contradict simple logic.

The fact remains your bike has a better chance of staying upright on a center stand where its balanced than on a side stand. Especially if you have a lot of extra weight mounted high on the bike.

Pointing out unusual possible situations where a bike falls over while on a center stand doesn't change that.
You all knew the point of the post, and you chose to start a catfight. For what?

Please stop  deadhorse
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Givi maxia top box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 11:03 am

When my scoot is loaded up for touring I find it extremely difficult to get onto the centre stand so I routinely use the side stand. I'v had no problems so far !
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 2:08 pm

What about when you have to tie up on a ferry? I always use the main stand and put the parking brake on, but the majority of other bikes I see use the side stand. That includes ones fitted with a main stand, the riders would probably say there's three points of contact.

Of course this has bugger all to do with the Givi Maxia top box, so fit one, fill it, and use it! Smile
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 4:55 pm

dspevack wrote:
Crahar, Wingman02,

I have no idea why its soooooo important for you to contradict simple logic.

The fact remains your bike has a better chance of staying upright on a center stand where its balanced than on a side stand. Especially if you have a lot of extra weight mounted high on the bike.

Pointing out unusual possible situations where a bike falls over while on a center stand doesn't change that.
You all knew the point of the post, and you chose to start a catfight. For what?

Please stop  deadhorse
Why are you upset? There is no argument here. Just opinions and preferences from other riders. I agree with you, this topic does not belong in this post. It should be in a post of its own.. Bye and Aloha...
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 8:54 pm

I must have been wrong to post therefore I apologize and wont make that mistake again. I missed something somewhere and didn't get the point or understand what was being said, it was not my point to step on anyone's toes just to make the point as to what had happened.
Good day
Craig
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 10:37 pm

I had the same experience of my bike falling over parked on grass where I used the center stand.  From that point on I use a side stand puck as Mildew suggested and I have never had another fall over.  On the ferry, I always use the side stand and the parking brake.  My brother, who rides a Helix feels compelled to always put his on the center stand no matter where we park.  

We still get along even though we both have different opinions on the side stand / center stand debate.  We just respect each others opinion and save our arguments for something worthy of arguing over, like politics!

It is just like the argument..... looking through the windshield, or over the windshield. I need to look over, but there are many who insist that they have to look through.

What does this have to do with a top box? Nothing, but it is conversation about motorcycling.... and choices.

Ok, no more hijacking from me on this thread. Sorry if I offended anyone about anything.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 am

lalee wrote:
I had the same experience of my bike falling over parked on grass where I used the center stand.  From that point on I use a side stand puck as Mildew suggested and I have never had another fall over. 

Hi lalee, it's Meldrew not Mildew, but you already knew that from your time on here as larryinseattle.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Meldrew wrote:

Hi lalee, it's Meldrew not Mildew, but you already knew that from your time on here as larryinseattle.
Typo error that I didn't catch. My mistake.

It is not very rewarding to mispronounce a first date's name, but to miss spell a name on a forum, a public flogging is a minimum.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 12:31 pm

Lalee, I quote your signature...

"My opinion is just mine.
I hope I don't offend anyone with my opinion if it is different than yours."

I trust that the sentiment applies in reverse.

Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 7:57 am

Colin B wrote:

Always.

When opinions differ it should not diminish mutual respect. I just share my motorcycling experience, strength and hope.

Thank you for asking.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 10:41 am

lalee wrote:
Colin B wrote:

Always.  

When opinions differ it should not diminish mutual respect.  I just share my motorcycling experience, strength and hope.  

Thank you for asking.  
Hey Larry, I recognized your old Interstate and rear cooler. Happy Thanksgiving dude.

Dan
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Givi Maxia Top Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Maxia Top Box   Givi Maxia Top Box I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 1:56 pm

DanB wrote:

Hey Larry, I recognized your old Interstate and rear cooler. Happy Thanksgiving dude.

Dan
Well none of this has anything to do with the OP, and I apologize to all who have no interest in who I am and only interested in the original conversation.

My intro has been updated.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Back to top Go down

Givi Maxia Top Box
Page 1 of 1