Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A Close Call!

Go down 
+2
Magoo Triker
Gyro
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

A Close Call! Empty
PostSubject: A Close Call!   A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Yesterday evening, my wife and I rode the S'wing Trike out to our favorite fried chicken restaurant, Chicken Mary's. If that name sounds familiar, it's because Chicken Mary's & rival restaurant Chicken Annie's were featured in an episode of the Travel Channel program, "Food Wars." Both restaurants are located a few mile Northeast of Pittsburg/Frontenac, Ks in a nice rural setting on a small county road.

After a nice meal, we packed up our leftovers in "to-go" boxes and mounted the trike to head home. We headed East down the county road and had rode maybe 100 yards when a young female Whitetail deer came charging out of the ditch on my right and passed in front of me, barely missing hitting my front wheel! Shocked  The doe also barely missed getting flattened by a car coming in the opposite direction that was nearly even with me! She was a very young deer (probably a yearling) and I doubt she weighed more than 60 or 70 pounds. My wife thought at first that it was a dog.

Fortunately, I missed hitting her, but had we collided, I think the damage would have been minimal and I could have maintained control of the trike. We were barely going 20 mph.

I shudder to think what might have happened if we were travelling 55 or 60 mph, the deer was full-grown, and we didn't miss! affraid  Whitetail deer are numerous in this area and are a real hazard when driving in the evening.

Back to top Go down
Magoo Triker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Magoo Triker

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-08-03

A Close Call! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Close Call!   A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Close call for sure Gyro...  I just myself made a 2,400 mile trip and had a close call at 60 mph on a hwy.  After that I got up on the Interstate...  In all the years I have been riding I would never get on the Interstate so was a first for me and I enjoyed it but missed the country views.  I was able to put 526 miles on the trike one day and also found she can suck up some fuel if you run her at 80mph but handle great and is a fine ride with the Voyager Trike Kit.

Magoo
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
A Close Call! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

A Close Call! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Close Call!   A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Dear me........glad you're okay.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

A Close Call! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Close Call!   A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Glad your OK. Deer and other animals have been a concern for us as well. Especially when we are caught riding later into the evening than anticipated. When we where down in Texas I couldn't believe how many cars drove without headlights on well past dusk.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

A Close Call! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Close Call!   A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 8:47 am

As I get more mature (read old) I tend to ride much slower after dark. Vision is not as good plus critters tend to be more active! Here in Arizona, there are deer and coyote to contend with PLUS javelina (a type of wild pig). Any of these could ruin a nice after dark ride.

Up in Washington, the situation is much worse. Deer, bear, elk and moose are just a few of the hazards to keep an eye out for. I tend to drive even slower up there.

It amazes me how the locals will blow past me doing 75 mph (in a 65 mph area) after dark... I have a friend in body shop business and he said these people keep him in business!!!

BE CAREFUL!
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

A Close Call! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Close Call!   A Close Call! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 9:19 am

Glad you were aware. My cousin hit a deer in N. Minnesota; forks bent; windshield and fairing buster. He managed to ride it home but hasn't been back on a bike since. His wife and kids came out to look at the bike and his Daughter said, "Dad, there is deer poop all over the side." He said. "That's not deer poop." ;-)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Close Call! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Close Call!   A Close Call! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Close Call!
Page 1 of 1