Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tinkerer from N Carolina...

Go down 
+3
"Hi Yo"
RArch
Greydog
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Greydog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-08-17

Tinkerer from N Carolina... Empty
PostSubject: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Hey, ya'll! Used to ride a GL 650 SilverWing back in the day when it was a transfer V Twin and a Vetter Fairing put together as a mini GWing. Boy, things have changed...
Getting into the scooter/trike bit because I can't mount a motorcycle anymore. Am planning to meld a MP3 front end onto a SWing scooter frame for a little more stability, and then go from there. I actually like the SWing frame and style better than the Piaggio's frame...
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 6:29 pm

welcome 

Greydog wrote:
Am planning to meld a MP3 front end onto a SWing scooter frame for a little more stability
That sounds an ambitious project, remember to take photos along the way to show us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Greydog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Yes, I think it'll be interesting to work on. Plus, it should keep me out of my wife's way, LOL!
Will try to keep pics up... It'll a couple months before I get going. I'm still getting info from both machines now
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Tinkerer from N Carolina... 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 6:51 pm

welcome  Good luck with your project.
Back to top Go down
Greydog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks!! Maybe asking alot of different questions. Just don't flame away, LOL.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Tinkerer from N Carolina... 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Greydog wrote:
Thanks!!  Maybe asking alot of different questions. Just don't flame away, LOL.
A lot of questions can be answered by using the search function. Some you didn't even ask. Smile 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 3:23 am

Hello & welcome Smile Vetter,that name brings back some memories of my youth Smile not heard it this side of the pond since he did the styling on the Triumph Hurricane way back in the 70's.
Interesting sounding project,good luck with it & as said before pictures please.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 5:36 am

Wouldn't it be simpler to buy a MP3 and ride that, we have a larger selection of MP3 variants here in the UK than you have in the US and they're all a pretty rare sight on our roads apart from in London. The Piaggio MP3 500 was sold as the Gilera Fuoco 500 over here until it was discontinued a few years ago.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 6:00 am

Greydog wrote:
a little more stability
When you say "stability", I trust you don't mean the sort of stability offered by a true trike/outrigger.

The Fuoco/MP3 may offer advantages on rough surfaces, but it can still fall over. I've seen it happen a few times. When it does go down, the trapezoid suspension arrangement can make it more difficult to lift than two wheeler.

Also, the width of the front end mechanics mean that riding feet forward (one great advantage of scooters) is not possible.

An interesting project, but I concur with Meldrew.

(I can't believe I just wrote that last line!  Shocked   Razz   )

Last edited by Colin B on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Smelling pistake)
Back to top Go down
andyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 6:53 am

welcome to the silverwing world. Where in NC are you? I'm located in the Charlotte area and wouldn't mind helping with some of your technical questions.
Back to top Go down
Greydog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!! Even Meldrew's, LOL. I have thought of just getting a MP3, but I actually like the frame of the Silver Wing better. It fits me better, and from what I can tell, there would be more flexibility to do other stuff to it. Besides, we're talking 500cc vs. 600cc. 600cc, I think is the lowest I would go with the rolling hills we have.
I realize that the MP3 can slide and tip, but I am looking for stability as I step onto the floor of the scooter while sitting on it. I realize that the electronic antitilt lock could fail, but I believe that having that extra support will serve my needs. It would be nice to be able to lean on curves, also, as regular trikes are driven, not ridden. And then you have the cool factor. The looks of having those two wheels in front is da bomb!!!
BTW- I live in Cary.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Simplier---try sidecar...Texas Sidecar, They seem to be well made, but to what safety standard? True made in Italy trikes are made to a handling standard and they do handle and go well (based on what I saw while living in Europe.) but lack of foot room. Remember SilverWing drive line not made for sidecar or trike use--Brakes?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tinkerer from N Carolina...   Tinkerer from N Carolina... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tinkerer from N Carolina...
Page 1 of 1