Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tire Air Pressure Question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RichG
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Tire Air Pressure Question Empty
PostSubject: Tire Air Pressure Question   Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:19 pm

I had my rear tire replaced with a Michelin City Grip. The Sidewall of the tire says Max psi (cold) is 33psi. The Silverwing Owners Manual States 36psi (This is for OEM tires, IRC,Etc.)
I had an IRC That was replaced and it's sidewall stated 36psi max.
My question is should I go 33psi or go with 36psi per Manual?

Is this max psi specific to each brand of tire? Will it hurt the tire to go above the max printed on the sidewall?

The City Grip Tire has the same size and speed rating (64S) as the IRC.
Thanks for any comments, RichG
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Tire Air Pressure Question   Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 am

I would stay with what is printed on the tire that you are using.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Tire Air Pressure Question   Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 am

I agree although there must be an in-built 'margin for error' since 'cold' varies depending on the climate of the country one's in and the time of year.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tire Air Pressure Question   Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 3:53 am

ok, first look at what is/are approved tires for SilverWing 600---bike has sticker, Bridgestone and IRC....these are tested within the standards of how Honda feels the bike should perform----tackle box techs can seldom out guess them.

Second, psi numbers printed on side of tire are the psi the tire has its max. carrying capacity----I use only what Honda recommends---at least gives decent ride and remember scooter is not super bike, it is putt putt, enjoyable to ride.

I had best luck/feel with IRC on Silverwing, horrible tiremileage with hoop rear, at to replace hoop front due to nail early.

Right now, not following makers recommendation have Hoop front on my 25,000 mile Burgman2011 ABS leftover (OEM) working well in combination with Michelin SC rear ----running at Suzuki recommended pressures(I know this is not recommend inthis combo....but works well on scooter that does not handle as well as SilverWing or TMAX)----I believe secret is using Ride On as balance medium, tire stays in balance for life....and doing own tire work.....that makes sure work is done right and carefully.
Back to top Go down
hobbykim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Tire Air Pressure Question   Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 am

Side wall tire had cold psi setting and max psi setting,Michelin cold setting at 33 psi for both front and rear tire,different brains name get different setting,factory use hoop when they install to the scooter,when you use different kind the tire you may have to follow tire factory recommend setting.I use Michelin and I setting at 33 PSI front and rear ,it handle very good.
Back to top Go down
RichG
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Tire Air Pressure Question   Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I will set the tire pressure to the tire Manufacturer setting on the sidewall and see how the tire wears/performs. I have about 260 miles on the City Grip now and it is ok.
It rides somewhat different, feels different than the original IRC. It's hard to expalin the feel, a little bouncy maybe or squirly slightly. Handles ok. At this point I think I preferred the original IRC.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tire Air Pressure Question   Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Why set to number  on side of tire-----are you at max. load solo?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire Air Pressure Question   Tire Air Pressure Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire Air Pressure Question
Page 1 of 1