Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silver Wing or Burgman 650?

Go down 
+13
RArch
GHM-PM
hotwings
dspevack
JeffR_
DarthJ
DickO
jmaslak
john grinsel
Silverwing28681
Meldrew
tarmacburner2
dbk23
17 posters
AuthorMessage
dbk23
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Silver Wing or Burgman 650? Empty
PostSubject: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 5:59 pm

I am new to riding as I will be taking my rider safety course this spring then getting my licence. I am trying to figure out what to ride. Being 50 I guess my need for speed differs from that of a 20 year old so I am looking at a scooter. I want to be able to do long distance touring with my wife and so am looking at the Burgman 650 executive and the Honda Silverwing for 2 up touring.

Of course I know this is a Silverwing site so responses will be biased towards the Silverwing, but I was wondering if people here on the forum considered the 2 scooters I am considering and why they chose the Silverwing over the other scooter? Also does the Silverwing have good accessory support so you can dress it up and personalize it? With it being a bit smaller engine than the Burgman does that pose any issues?

Thanks
Darren
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Silverwing transmission far better than the Burgman 650.
Seat height a bit lower than the 650. I went to buy a 650 but seat height was a no-go, I'm comfortable on the Silverwing.

Things you will probably need to do to the Silverwing. Replace the screen for a Givi Airflow. Fit Dr Pulley Sliders (24gm) or a JCosta variator. Both will make the scooter less vibey.

I have a Burgman 400 as well as a Silverwing. The 400 is a different kettle of fish to the 650.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm probably not alone in thinking it's difficult to give advice to someone without a licence and basic riding experience. You don't even know yet that riding any size of maxi scooter is for you. The 20kg weight difference between the heavier Burgman and the Silver Wing makes them two completely different beasts, and most riders have honed their skills on a 400 for a couple of years before buying either.

Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:00 pm

The Silverwing is much eaiser to work on , Change oil, service the plugs, things like that, I like the 650 Burgman but the transmission is a NO GO for me. I like the belt change it every 16,000 miles or so and you are always ready to go ! YES if you get one install the Givi windscreen ! Its a plus !
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 8:46 pm

First before you buy into expensive/big/heavy scooter get your lic-----some experience on smaller bike. SilverWing (Had new one) Burgman 650 (rode one once) is maybe apples and oranges. Complaints of 650 Burgman drive line troubles are probably-----people who bought used with no knowledge of previous maint. and use have troubles at 50,000 miles and expect Suzuki to pay for the fix....and complain when they don't. My case, if I buy new Burgman 650 I would expect at least the first 50,000 miles the drive line to be trouble free.----For my use the only difference between 650 and SilverWing....the SilverWing lack of electric windshield and lack of electric plug in----both are bear to work on. Honda more dealers. For carrying passengers....both jack the passenger way up in the air!
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 9:29 pm

I agree with others - the Silver Wing isn't a great beginner bike - it is very heavy. Don't know about the Bergman and how it rides for a beginner, but expect it is the same.

I am glad I learned on a 250 first. I did outgrow it, but I also built a lot of confidence to handle the heavier bike later.

That said, they are both great bikes from what I hear. The Honda's parts are significantly cheaper than the Bergman's, which is why I went with the Honda. And from what I have seen, the Honda is easier to work on (and mechanically much simpler in the transmission). Both will go faster than you want to go. You can easily get a speeding ticket anywhere on either. Both go faster than many big bikes and off the line are exceptionally fast - scooter is not necessarily slow and docile.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 12:36 am

Hi Darren,
I was a brand new newbie back in midyear '08 when I got my license and my used '05 SWing. You don't mention whether or not you've had "any" previous experience on bikes either. Nevertheless, as long as you've got the desire and ability, 'go-for-it'. If you've got the size and balance to handle the 'heft' of one of these machines, as mentioned by those above, it will certainly help.

I got mine and started out cold right off the bat. 'Course I had many country miles to practice on and a wide open rural high school parking lot on which to get in many extra practice times too. So take advantage of what you can get. Later on I joined an American Legion Riders group and commenced to getting some "group" experience too.

I personally chose the SWing because I had seen one someplace and really thought it was "cool". Thus, if I was going to go into the two-wheel world, the SWing was the one. Of the Bergy or the Swing, I believe the SWing is the 'simpler' one to get (lighter; less maint; easier to mod, etc). I'm basing that on what's already been mentioned by others here, not on personal experience.

Anyway, don't be afraid of these bigger 'scoots'. Put enough effort into it and it's certainly a "doable" project to pursue. Good Luck!!!

Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:22 am

+1 to DickO's advice. What I would also suggest is that whatever you do purchase, have it delivered if you can. That's what I chose to do. It allowed me to get used to the bike in my neighborhood at slow speeds before venturing out into major roads.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:30 am

Darren,

Welcome to the site and hope you enjoy it and it helps you. I have never ridden a B650 but have ridden in groups where others have had them and they like them. The B650 is heavier and a bit bulkier than the SWing. They both will take you anywhere you want to go in comfort and with a top case has plenty of storage for long trips.

They both get about the same mpg's and miles per tank. I hear the B650 is just a bit smoother but some have said they like the SWings suspension better, but I can't tell you why. If you are big enough to handle either one of these bikes I would go for it. Just get a lot of practice before you ride your wife. These are heavy bikes and you could lose control of them too if not careful. I would re-read what DickO had to say since I think he has it right. Just be careful until you get some miles under your belt.

The Swing is easy to work on and there are plenty of "pictorials" on this site to help you do much of your work. I have had my Swing since new in 2007 and have 35,000 miles on it and it is very smooth and powerful. There have been many magazines that feel the Swing has a smoother transmission since you need to learn how to use the throttle on the B650 since it has more 'engine breaking'. But the B650 does have the power button, to increase your rpms', and also the ability to put the bike in Overdrive to reduce the rpm's a bit.

If you get the B650 I would suggest you get the 5 year warranty since some have got a 'bad' ECVT on theirs and it costs approx $2500 to fix, if you can't do the work yourself. This happens on a very , very small percentage of B650's but if it does, and Suzuki doesn't cover this, you could be out some money.

If you don't know about www.burgmansusa.com you may want to go there. They of course will prefer the B650 and we for the most part prefer the SWing. If you can get a test ride on both that would be best, but few shops allow test rides. But read up on them and you can't go wrong with either bike. I'm over 200lbs and my wife is 140 lbs and our Swing has taken us up the mountains in California with no problem and it will cruise at 80mph all day without sweating.

There are a few mods you can do that will make the Swing even better. You may also want to think of a 400 bike like the Majesty or the Burgman 400. I had the Majesty and it took me and my wife up in the mountains too. Just another thing to think about. Good luck and let us know what you decide. And hope you stick around.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 3:25 am

JeffR_ wrote:
Darren,

Just get a lot of practice before you ride your wife.

Laughing Jeff... Can't believe you said that. Laughing

Darren,
1. Most important: Fit to your personal capabilities
Being that you are a newbie, Swing is lighter easier to control.
That said, your choice must still be the better fit for your body.

2. Budget: How much do you DIY? Honda has more dealers, but if you expect to stay close to home, having a dealer that is a few miles away as opposed to much farther, could be a big factor in your choice. There is a lot of DIY help here for the Swing that you will not find for Burgman.

3. MODS: We are a strong modding community. very familiar with every mod available for our bikes. You can turn your Silverwing into a mini Goldwing if you like.
For some examples of modding you can check out my picture album linked to in my sig line.

Dan

Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 5:13 am

Ive been riding a silverwing for about a year now (various motorcycles for 27 years)!! The wife and i were having the winter blahs the other day so we visited various bike dealers just to see the latest and greatest. At the suzuki dealer we sat on the Burgman 650 and we both liked it and its many features (that the silverwing can only dream about). I especially liked the electric windscreen and the factory heated grips. My wife was a fan of the heated seats. The bike was $9999 + tx only (2012). I have never ridden a Burgman but from the style and features i would seriously consider it when the next time to buy comes around! ( i know these are fightin words here )

Here are the Burgman specs i copied from www.motorcyclespecs.com

Features and Benefits

Utility/Convenience Features

Automotive-style instrument display with analog tachometer, speedometer, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, plus LCD odometer/tripmeters and clock

Convenient front glovebox compartment with DC-electrical accessory outlet, plus two additional storage compartments

Cut-away floorboards provide more space for rider's legs when putting feet down

Large, comfortable seat with passenger backrest and convenient lever-adjustable rider backrest

Large, illuminated 56-liter under-seat storage space - large enough for two full-face helmets

Tamper-resistant magnetic ignition switch cover for added security - ignition switch includes built-in seat latch operation

Engine Features

Attractive stainless steel exhaust system provides quiet operation and features a chrome muffler end-cap for improved appearance and high heat resistance

Convenient electric starting system with maintenance-free battery

Direct-type valve actuation system and downdraft intake (similar to GSX-R models) for strong engine performance

Dual gear-driven countershaft system to reduce engine vibration

Electronic fuel injection system with 32-bit ECM, provides easy engine starts, precise throttle response, reduced fuel consumption, and low emissions

Electronically-controlled windshield allows height adjustment on the fly via a handlebar mounted switch.

High-efficiency liquid-cooling system includes thermostatically-controlled fan and liquid-cooled oil cooler for consistent engine temperature under all operating conditions

Powerful liquid-cooled, 638cc, DOHC, 8-valve, twin-cylinder engine - designed to produce responsive power under a wide range of riding situations

Suzuki Electronically-Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission - using a handlebar control switch, the rider can choose between two fully automatic modes (power or normal), or a manual shift mode

Chassis Features

Antilock Brake System (ABS) monitors brake lever input and wheel speed, and matches stopping power to available traction.

Convenient retracktable side mirrors with easy-to-use handlebar mounted switch

Dual ABS assisted front disc brake with 260mm rotor and four-piston caliper, rear ABS assisted disc brake with 210mm rotor and twin-piston caliper - rear brake includes lever-operated parking brake system

Heated grips and seat come standard for the 2009 model

High-tensile steel-tube frame designed for strength and rigidity

Lightweight five-spoke aluminum wheels with radial tires - F: 3.50 x 15 with 120/70-R15 tire, R: 4.5 x 14 with 160/70-R14 tire

Stylish bodywork with dual multi-reflector headlights, flush-mounted front turn signals, and large combination taillight/brake designed for strength and rigidity

Swingarm-style rear suspension features twin preload-adjustable shock absorbers and a separate aluminum swingarm - allows optimum engine placement and forward weight distribution

Telescopic front fork with 41mm inner tubes, provides 105mm of wheel travel for sport performance and a comfortable ride
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 5:14 am

dspevack wrote:

3. MODS: We are a strong modding community.

Dan

Wait till Meldrew sees that! Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 7:36 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
dspevack wrote:

3. MODS: We are a strong modding community.

Dan

Wait till Meldrew sees that! Laughing

Cheers,

I'm not a complete Luddite, I've got all the stuff I need on my Silver Wing and a lot of it came from the scooters I had before, and will be removed to use on the scooter I have next. Why waste money fitting stuff you'll leave on, a dealer won't give you any more in part exchange when you tell him you've fitted HyperPro and Dr Pulley bits.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 am

I am not an expert on Burgmans but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express... Oh wait a minute... LOL

I did sit on the Suzuki, and the seat height and width of scooter made me shy away. For me; at 6'0" and 240 lbs the Silver Wing was a much better fit. Yes the 650 would have been better to haul my weight around Shocked . But the Honda does well. I bought mine to allow me to scoot around town and take trips (one-up). It does fine in that. I have 5300 miles and no problems at all so far, two oil changes and still on the original tires and they look fine.

I do wish the Honda came in other colors than BLACK! I like black but for visibility would prefer something a brighter (how about Day-Glo orange?).

Anyway; sit on both scooters and see which one fits YOU best then make the best deal you can! Good luck.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 7:51 am

Meldrew wrote:
I'm not a complete Luddite,

huh? sorry to temporarily hijack a thread,
but I want to learn something new... How does this apply?

Lud·dite [luhd-ahyt]

noun
a member of any of various bands of workers in England (1811–16) organized to destroy manufacturing machinery, under the belief that its use diminished employment.

Not making fun of you Meldrew. Simply trying to understand your reference.

Dan
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 am

dspevack wrote:
Meldrew wrote:
I'm not a complete Luddite,

huh? sorry to temporarily hijack a thread,
but I want to learn something new... How does this apply?

Lud·dite [luhd-ahyt]

noun
a member of any of various bands of workers in England (1811–16) organized to destroy manufacturing machinery, under the belief that its use diminished employment.

Not making fun of you Meldrew. Simply trying to understand your reference.

Dan

For a more appropriate meaning read No 1 on this site:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=luddite

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 am

I had a browse on Urban Dictionary myself earlier at Luddite and yes, unlike computers the Silver Wing is "just fine” 10 years on. Changing the Honda screen for an Airflow is really all you need to do to improve it. There's no reason to try and mod a Silver Wing into a motorcycle, it's a maxi scooter.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 am

Sure agree on the just leaving the SilverWing alone--the GIVI adjustable windshield is necessary. Want more performance/handling/? just get a real motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 am

If you're considering a Burgy 650, look at the redesigned 2013, not the '12. Lots of improvements.
Go here to check it out:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Scooters/Products/Burgman%20650/2013/AN650A.aspx

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:15 am

For the UK riders;

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/an650zl3/

£8,799. Looks nice but still have reservations on the convoluted transmission.

Nah, the SW is for me - (until I fall off again!!!) Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm with Doug - the 650 BM is nearly 50% dearer than the SW - and service cost are pretty high too (for those who don't DIY)
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:10 pm

DBK:
As you have seen , there are a lot of very experienced riders on this site and there isn't much more that I can add that hasn't all ready been said by at least one of them. One point worth repeating is to get the bike the fits you best - and by fit I mean both the physical fit and feel of the bike as well as the capabilities of the bike. If you plan to ride long distances, then good weather protection may be important to you, as well as adequate storage and the ability to change riding positions (i.e floorboards). If you plan to ride it as a commuter, then the shiftless transmission may be a nice feature in stop and go traffic.

I have never ridden a Burgman, but after extensive research, I was convinced that I wanted one. But in 2008 when I finally went out to buy a bike I sat on one and if felt "fat" and heavy to me and the leg room seemed more cramped. The sticker price was also about $9500 and the dealer wouldn't budge on it. So on my way home from the Suzuki dealer I stopped in at a little Honda dealership who happened to have a new left over 2007 Silverwing on the floor. One of the guys had dropped it onto its right side while he was wheeling it out one day so it had some minor damage to the plastic (nothing too bad). I ended up paying only $6500 for it and that is how I ended up with my Silverwing.

I hadn't ridden since college, but it didn't take very long to feel pretty comfortable with the size and weight of the Silverwing. While it is a fairly heavy bike, it carries the weight low and I found it pretty easy to master, so I wouldn't necessarily shy away from it as a first bike. Just take your time and practice in a safe place like a parking lot.

Definitely take the MSF riding course and as others have mentioned, buy good quality riding gear. Then whatever you decide to buy, go out and practice, practice, practice... And most of all have fun.
DCC
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing or Burgman 650?   Silver Wing or Burgman 650? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silver Wing or Burgman 650?
Page 1 of 1