Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear Shock Absorbers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers Empty
PostSubject: Rear Shock Absorbers   Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Here is some information regarding aftermarket rear shock absorbers for our Silverwings:

Silverwing (FSC600) Aftermarket Rear Shock Absorbers

Honda OEM Shocks, part number, 52400-MCT-013 & 52400-MCT-003 are manufactured by KYB (Kayaba). They measure approximately 415 to 425 MM long, eyelet center-to-center. These shocks retail for ~$220/each.

Hagon Shocks are UK shocks but are available from two sources in the USA. They have a 2 year warranty, come with a black body & chrome (Oooo!) springs. They are not rebuildable, have three position adjustable spring preload and the springs can be tailored to your maximum load capacity needs at the time of order. They are 425 MM long. Part number 42501. They are ~$244/pair + shipping.

Hagon Shocks, LLC
1788 La Costa Meadows Drive
Suite 101
San Marcos, CA 92078
760.510.2758 fax
Email: hagonshocks@yahoo.com
www.hagonshocksusa.com

Dave Quinn Motorcycles  Dave Quinn reportedly closed in 2020
335 Litchfield Turnpike
Bethany, CT 06524-3505
Fax 203.393.1725
Email: dqmcs@earthlink.net

YSS Shocks are the current replacements for the famous Wilbers shocks. YSS Shocks have three position adjustable preload springs and are rebuildable. The springs can be tailored to your need at the time of order also. There are two versions of YSS Shocks to fit Silverwings:

RZ362-420TR is a gas/emulsion shock with adjustable damping. They are $499/pair + shipping.
RE302-420T is a standard hydraulic type shock. They are not adjustable and are $299/pair + shipping.

YSS Shocks are available from:

Klaus Huenecke
EPM Performance Imports                                        
P.O. Box 40  Tennent, NJ 07763 USA
Tel / Fax:: (732) 786-9777  Toll-Free: (877) 786-6543
Email: info@epmperf.com
www.epmperf.com

See also this post for more YSS info: https://www.silverwing600.com/t11820-yss-shock-owners-or-prospective-buyers-improvements-info-etc#120551

Fournales Shocks, made in France, are air shocks and eliminate the coil-over springs at the rear. They are pressured at 6 bar (~85 psi) but are adjustable by adding or bleeding off pressure. The shocks come with their own bicycle type hand pump with a dial gauge. Fournales Shocks are currently unobtanium here in the USA, but when last available several years back they were priced ~$600+/pair. Part number MA 010288.

Mad Hornet Shocks. The “new kid on the block”. December 2021. Unknown manufacturer, unknown quality.

https://www.madhornets.com/425mm-rear-air-shock-absorbers-suspension-for-honda-silver-wing-600-gold/

Hopefully some here will find this information about these rear shock options of use.

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:35 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Absorbers   Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Locking thread per poster's request.

Please open a separate thread for discussion. Additional posts will be moved into this thread as needed.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Absorbers   Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 9:29 am

This excerpted from GavinFDavies’ excellent post, ”New Hagon Rear Shocks Jacked Up And Centre Stand Mod”. See link to full post below.

Rear suspension:
I looked at various options: Hagons (cheap, local, but 3-step preload only), Ikons (mid priced, but some more adjustments), and Wilbers I think (full price, full adjustment). But following a chat with Dave Bulwell at Hagon (he's sound, a great guy), I opted to go with Hagon. Again. I've used custom shocks from them twice before, so opted for reliability over fancy features. Dave explained that the Swing shocks were the longest by far of any they made, and as a result custom length were not an option since everything was bespoke to the Swing. Damper, spring, bottom clevis mount. All bespoke. Having bounced some ideas around, we agreed that while a new clevis would be a elegant solution, it was too costly for an unproven idea. So we decided to let me bodge a pair of stock items! The next morning the Hagons arrived at home for me to play with.

Normal length Hagons:
I had done some sag testing with the stock shocks, and repeated it with the Hagons. Recall that my bike was low miles, so the stock shocks can hardly be considered worn out (4,000 miles). I won't bore you all more with all the figures, but the bike sagged about 1.5" when the weight came off the centre stand on onto the back wheel (this excludes the air gap under the wheel), and sagged about a further 1.5" with me sat on it, to give a total over 3". Changing to the Hagons, that total sag with the rider dropped to 2", maybe a tiny bit less. So that was a 1" increase in rear ride height just from the stiffer springs and correct pre-load.

Jacked up Hagons:
I then opted to strip the shocks down, and implement my cunning plan. The springs were compressed using 6 big cable ties each to give me enough space to slip the retainers out and disassemble the unit. The next step was to unscrew the alloy clevis from the damper rod. Dave had explained it was simply loctited on, so first I tried immersing the clevis (not the damper!) in boiling water. No joy. Next I gently clamped the damper is a wooden work bench and began heating the alloy with the trusty blow torch. To warn me if I was over heating the alloy, I place a snip of solder on the clevis. If that melted, I'd know I was getting too hot (170deg C) for the alloy. It didn't melt. Eventually the Loctite (blue it turned out) softened enough to allow the clevis to unscrew. After cleaning the cleaning the threads, I set about the mods. The aim was to allow the shocks to be returned to normal later if desired.

Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers Normal10

As can be seen, the rod sits in the clevis hole, and is retained by a threaded section midway down the hole, which is about 35mm deep in total. The insertion depth is set by the rod bottoming out, with the end of the rod necked down to a) clear the threads and b) ensure that it sits fit, not on any radius edge at the base of the hole. I opted to increase the length by inserting a 22mm steel dowel. I think that I used the smoother shank of an old 10mm drill bit trimmed to length on the angle grinder. It was  few months back now! But this would mean that the threads wouldn't meet. So I purchased some M12 fine thread inserts to fit to the top of the clevis. By luck these are common for repairing diesel injector holes, hence kits were cheap. I got two kits on special offer complete with special taps for £1.75 including post! Or something like that. The special dies cut their own hole and then tapped it for the insert. I filed two opposite flats on the flange of the inserts to ease removal later if needed. The inserts would be loctited in place, and then the rods loctited into them, while sitting on top of the dowels. This would give about 10mm of thread engagement (compared to 15mm as originally built), but since the shock would only be in tension if I were to jump the bike (!) I reasoned that this would not be an issue.

Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers Modded10

But this left the issue of spring preload. Or lack of. Or even spring contact. Or lack of! I made up an alloy spacer the same 22mm thickness as the dowels, in order to return the preload to the original Hagon setting. There was a 13mm clearance hole for the rod, a rebate to clear the flange of the thread insert, and a step on the top to locate the spring. Now, the picture shows a one piece unit, which is what I would have like to have made. If only. I don't own a lathe, but the maintenance boys at work have a basic one with a few tips. So I took an hour to two of 'personal development time' to use make use of it (ok, I skived off work!). But with limited tools, I was only able to turn up the main discs, without the rebate, without the hole, and without the step. Nor material to make the step so it seems. But they were the right thickness (22mm) and the right diameter to match the clevis (47mm I think). At home I drilled the centre hole, and used a flat wood bit (!) to cut the rebate on my bench drill. I then made the step. This would be from a separate disc with centre hole, which would be bolted down onto the main space body. But I didn't have any 5mm allow sheet. What I had was 1/2" plate. Sigh. So I cut out the right size disc with a hole saw, locked it onto a long bolt with a couple of jam nuts, then literally chucked it in the bench drill. I turned it to final size to fit inside the spring using a file pressed against it. I then split it in half in plane using a hack sack while the disc span in the drill. I know, I know, but means must when the devil drives so they say. The result was two discs 5mm thick, with a central hole 13mm, and an out diameter to fit inside the spring. The last task was to drill a small 5mm hole in the step disc, then mount it onto the spacer disc on the rod, and mark where the hole was on the spacer disc. This was then drilled and tapped M5 to take a small button-head bolt to hold the two discs together. Since its only job is to centrally locate the spring, and the discs themselves are located by the rod, that one bolt is sufficient since all it does it stop the step disc falling off! If you look closely at the pic you might spot the little bolt inside the spring!
Phew. Not ideal, but where there's a will (but not a fully equipped lathe) there's a way.

Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers Dscf6216

While I had the shock apart, I opted to polish up and lube the mating and moving faces of the spring and preload adjustment collate, to make it easier to turn. The collar is a zinc casting and has a few burrs and edges than respond well to being rounded off.
After assembly, everything looked good, and left me with about 5mm clearance between the tyre and the floor when on the stand. It's a new tyre, so this gap should only increase when it wears.

Fitting note:
When fitting/removing the shocks, it is in fact possible to access the top bolt without stripping off the panels or drilling holes in the luggage compartment. A ring spanner with an offset head can just about get up there and do the business. That said, once you've done it once, removing the side panels isn't difficult. Remove the rear rack (4x bolts), remove the little panel between the licence plate and the stop lamp (2 screws), remove the screws from the side panels (two on the right, three on the left). Pull out on the bottom of the panel to clear the lugs from their holes, the lift the top of the panel up out of its slits in the edge of the luggage compartment. I find getting pulling with a finger in the holes left by the front of the rear rack helps get this last bit going. For the left panel disconnect the seat lock cable if you want to move the panel away from the bike.

Result:
Firstly, the bike is a doddle to get on and off the stand, since now it sits most of the way to the top as it were. Just need to exercise a little common sense when parking on slopes. It won't roll off on it's own, but it might if some nonce bumped into it. But this is hardly different to other bikes, or to use of the kick stand for that matter.
Secondly, the firm rear suspension improves the ride a lot. It doesn't wallow or bounce along. Preload is easy to adjust too.
Thirdly, the steering is GREATLY improved. While there still is that tendency to flop into tight turns, the forces involved are much less. This is because the rear end is higher, hence the fork angle is steep, hence that rearward offset of the wheel contact patch relative to the point the actual fork angle points to is also less. Now those steering forces are on par or less than the usual steering forces, hence it doesn't catch me out. I find I can do tight turns easily without feeling like the bike is trying to yank the bars around. To my mind it now handles like a heavy classic motorcycle (Ninja 900 maybe?) rather than some raked out cruiser made for show and not for corners.

Conclusion:
The firmer and taller rear suspension improves the ride and handling which makes the bike easier and more pleasant to ride. This does require some mods to the lower end of the shocks, but a simple change to the clevis design (a 22mm stretch between the bolt eyes at the bottom and the bottom of the rod hole) would make this a factory option from Hagon. This mod does though require a reversible mode to the centre stand. For home builders I would recommend adhesive wheel weights, but for Hagon I would use my method, but with some properly pressed steel U clamps.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t10465-new-hagon-rear-shocks-jacked-up-and-centre-stand-mod#106322
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Absorbers   Rear shocks - Rear Shock Absorbers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Shock Absorbers
Page 1 of 1